Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Train stations cannot be contacted!!
  • donks
    Free Member

Last week I knocked my joystick front light off the handle cradle on my handlebars at the station and it fell between the train and the platform onto the track.
    I had to catch the train so thought I’d just phone the station and let them know what I had done in the hope someone would walk along the platform and retrieve the light.
    Turns out that you cannot contact the station… Network rail either don’t have a number or they will not give it out. I’ve been round the bloody houses and have got nowhere.
    It’s bloody ridiculous…. What if it was vital medicine or something??

scotroutes

If it was vital medicine you’d surely hang around and talk to someone at the station?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not looked too hard, see Staffing and general services tab.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/CLC.aspx

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you’d hung around they wouldn’t get on the track to fetch it. Against every rule in the book.

If it’s an electrified line with third rail even more so. They’re even instructed to not try to rescue someone who’s fallen on the track if electrified. Actually sensible as they themselves can be killed by touching the person. Seen similar where someone drunk climbed onto the track and passengers were getting irate with staff for not helping him off but then they had to hold passengers back who were trying to help the guy.

Anyway, likely to retrieve it they’ll have to wait for a particular time or during maintenance, and doubt they’ll be bothered. Unless it’s something they can stick in lost property as then they can charge people to claim their lost property.

kinda666
    Free Member

I get phone calls everyday from staff asking for the line to be blocked to retrieve personal items, phones etc, admittedly we are a/c not d/c

donks
    Free Member

@squirrel
    Tried that link but no phone number there. I actually need to ask someone to walk down the platform and look for the light. Emailing and messaging doesn’t get me anywhere….. It’s just frustrating that’s all. If you go through their enquiries route you just go round in circles

kinda666
    Free Member

What station was it Donks?? I’m at work at 6am, can see what I can find out if you want?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Which station?

bruneep

😉

kinda666
    Free Member

🙁 I’ve got more than enough lights thanks..

Just thought I could try and help find Donks light, I’m a signalman for network rail, and my wife is a team leader for virgin trains, if the light was dropped at a manned station I’m fairly confident I could speak to someone in the morning..

project
    Free Member

pop to poundland and buy a liter picker grab theyre a quid, lie on platform and retrieve lamp , JUST BE-AWARE OF NON STOPPING TRAINS, BTP etc

donks
    Free Member

Northampton station.
    I’m due to travel through there back in the new year.

kinda666
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll do some digging in the morning, any idea what platform you were on?? Don’t suppose the light was on when it fell off??

BlobOnAStick

Donks, London Midland are station operators. They’re pretty good with their Twitter responses, try tweeting your issue, I wouldn’t mind betting that you’d get a decent reaponse

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dunno about the bigger stations these days but our local station has direct access to the lines. As a kid (15 years ago) we would regularly walk the tracks without problems. Of course the station master would come out and tell us to get off but the train line (or rather the access path next to it) was a short walking and cycling route to many places nearby!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nope, no direct link but the lost property number for the operator is 02073878699.

Deadkenny – do they not even have those huge hooks to drag people away from electrical sources?

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/c/4542844/1/insulated-rescue-tools.html

wrightyson
    Free Member

The train conductor can. Brother in law left his bag in the cafe at Derby, which during current terrorist levels is not good. Literally 5 mins out of station when he realised and he told the conductor who rang through to avert a possible blowing up of his suit bag.

donks
    Free Member

Sorry later reply…

Platform 1 (southbound to London)
    Light is black and gold.
    I tried the lost property but it’s always engaged so you leave a message….. More frustration.

kinda666
    Free Member

Platform staff member has just gone for a look..

donks
    Free Member

That’s fantastic kinda66
    Much Christmas cheer to you 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Deadkenny is talking shit. They can of course retrieve items from the line. Even on the 3rd rail network the juice rail is furthest from the platform. Not relevant at Northampton anyway as its all up in the sky!

+1 for tweeting London Midland, shouldn’t be difficult to get hold of them.

Edit: too slow!

donks
    Free Member

What is this tweeting you speak of?? I’d have to get my son to do that kind of thing I think.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah right, Grandad 😀

kinda666
    Free Member

Chap never rang me back, gone off shift now but didn’t mention anything to the afternoon shift.. I’ll try him again in the morning..

BoardinBob

If you’d hung around they wouldn’t get on the track to fetch it. Against every rule in the book

Woman dropped her handbag between the platform and the train one morning at my station. She told the driver who just jumped under the train and retrieved it

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

She told the driver who just jumped under the train and retrieved it

Did she look like this?

donks
    Free Member

Many thanks again for your troubles k66

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The train conductor can. Brother in law left his bag in the cafe at Derby, which during current terrorist levels is not good. Literally 5 mins out of station when he realised and he told the conductor who rang through to avert a possible blowing up of his suit bag.

That can’t be exploited by terrorists at all…..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Train stations cannot be contacted!!’ is closed to new replies.