Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trails from Grantown on Spey?
  • ss
    Free Member

Hi

We’re staying in Grantown all of next week and I’m hoping to get a couple of 15-20km evening rides in without having to drive more than a few miles at worst.

Can anyone recommend anything? Not terribly fussy so long as it’s off road and not too boring.

Cheers
    Steven

bri-72

Might get some ideas from here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/grantown-on-spey.shtml

There is also a very small trail centre/skills loop on edge of town. Not much to it but fun for 20mins or so.

scotroutes

Both the Speyside Way and the Dava Way head off from Grantown. It’s all pretty chilled riding and might not be your cup of tea.

However, if you head to the start of the Dava Way you’ll find tracks going up and down the hill on your left….

The woods around Grantown have some nice singletrack. You’ll just have to try to discover it all (part of it is called Lady Garden Wood…..)

The wee skills park/trail centre is a bit of a laugh too.

Kunstler

Yeah, there’s some fun singletrack in Anagach Wood just at the back of Grantown. Just try each trail that looks interesting and look out for Capercaillies.

Northerner

There are loads of trails in and around Grantown, best bet would be to wondering into Basecamp Bikes next to the Co-Op and ask the guys in there as they know all the local routes.

mau00149
    Free Member

Speak to the guys at base camp bikes at the on the Square, they’ll give you a good idea of when to ride. Here’s a wee vid of the local trail centre I made not long after it opened. Short and sweet would be a fair description. Not been down for a good while now so don’t know how much is changed. Fair bit of singletrackworld to be had in the surrounding woods.
    [video]http://www.vimeo.com/34968269[/video]

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Glenlivet near Tomintoul is a mob trail centre. I have been. Decent climb to start. Descent was good. Not out of this world but I enjoyed it. Done a second lap.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

I meant MTB not mob. Bloody autocorrect!

ss
    Free Member

Great, thanks all. I will check these things out at the weekend.

Ta

crash_gav
    Free Member

If you fancy some leg stretch action. Drive to Nethy Bridge and bike through to Glenmore Lodge and Back Via Ryvoan. As previous, check WalkHighland GPS Planner for map.

Should add that the entrance to that trail is at Forest Lodge (turn right at fence as you see buildings).

kcal

Closer you get to Nethy Bridge (and it’s not far if you spin along the gate-intense Speyside Way) the better the off-road action is. Fabulous area..

MartynS

Interested in this…

GF’s parents are in upper rafford. We’ve done some nice rides but I think there’s better in the area..

STW did a mag feature that followed the river. I think if went near randolphs leap, into Forres and back. I need to find that one myself..

Sluie (sp?) woods has some nice tracks in it.
    We’ve had a look at a fair amount off the dava way and we’ve either been unlucky or there isn’t much there.. Lots of promising track that don’t come to much.

sniff
    Free Member

20k around Grantown with very little road…

http://app.strava.com/activities/269852551

Forests between the village and the Spey are full of tracks, just go explore.

As said above start in Nethy and there are loads of cracking rides in the forest, all off road.

kcal

Martyn – in the woods are nice little trails – by Rafford – but hard to find. Monaughty has much more variety. Nearer Forres there are some too. Roseisle for something different.

IIRC the article was more like a follow the Findhorn from Dulsie Bridge – I think. There is / are trails on the Findhorn, some quite exposed.

MartynS

Ta kcal..

You obviously know the area!! Gfs parents are just down an unmade road that leads down the back of blearvie (sp!) house very near rafford village hall if you know it
    Seen a couple of decent mtbs heading that way.. Just never caught anyone to ask where they go!!

We’ve had a good nose round those woods,
    We also found a decent downhill track on a hillside that dropped out by a monastry. Can’t remember the name.. On the Elgin back road

ss
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks

If anyone is out this coming week on an evening and want’s company gimme a shout on smithmtb at gmail dot com, cheers Steven

kcal

MartynS – Email in profile if you want some steers – depends how far you want to ride / travel – and what grade of riding you want 🙂

I think I may know the road – if I’m heading for the Dava Way from Elgin / Rafford I’ll head down tarmac road from Granary then round the back of Blervie House, dumps you down at a couple of houses as you say (Woodside the map says) – lot of forestry work round the back of the big house, must have bene sold recently, it was on the market (Allan Shiach selling up).

Plenty of bikes round there certainly ! not mine MTB wise though.. check Stuarts Cycles in Forres for rough guidance – ask for Reg (the owner himself) or Matt..

DH track is likely GI60s if by the Wangie – or some (lots) of quite frankly scary stuff on Monaughty (which is what you found) – ends by Pluscarden Abbey like you say. In that forest there are good amount of trails, all testing in their own way.

Yes, I’m in Elgin 🙂

peabrain
    Free Member

Was it a coincidence that I met a guy at the Grantown Bike PArk yesterday asking about trails in the area…

Sorry I wasn’t much help!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trails from Grantown on Spey?’ is closed to new replies.