Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Trails Blocked in Surrey Hills
  • glenp
    Free Member

mikey – yep. And the bikers will have to slow down and give priority to walkers and horses.

mikey74
    Free Member

So surely it is in the ranger's, and the areas, interest to promote the building and maintenence of a series of bike specific trails, rather than going around closing them down. Let's face it: Mountain biking is progressing as a sport and our trail networks just can not keep up.

glenp
    Free Member

That is precisely what the BKB and Parklife/Yogurt Pots work has been about. But the logic does not extend automatically all over the hills. Similar work is hoped for on Leith, but there are land-owner issues there.

Even when there are dedicated mtb trails walkers have priority.

The Hurtwood, or anywhere else for that matter, don't support mountain biking as a sport – they support enjoyment of the countryside by bike.

heihei

Check out the post today about friends wanted to ride with. One chap noted his club recently had a ride which 43 riders were on, in the North Downs. OK – they may not have been on Pitch / Holmbury / Leith, but large groups are not helping either with the erosion issue or the perceived dangers to walkers etc.

glenp
    Free Member

As long as they were on the North Downs I don't mind! Mind you, they probably were on Surrey Hills and just didn't know what its called.

mikey74
    Free Member

The Hurtwood, or anywhere else for that matter, don't support mountain biking as a sport – they support enjoyment of the countryside by bike.

… and there lies the crux of the matter: Whether they like it or not, mountain biking is a growing SPORT and is constantly evolving/progressing and people need to stop burying their heads in the sand and actually address the issues.

I would guess, although I may be wrong, that the main problems surrounding the walker/biker interface occur on the main bridleways around the hills. Surely it then makes sense to encourage bikers not to use these and support the building, in an approved location and to an approved standard, mountain bike specific trails that are clearly marked as such and also clearly stating that any irresponsible behaviour by bikers on the main bridleways will not be tolerated and may result in the destruction of said bike specific trails, and maybe, ultimately, the banning of all bikes from the hills.

They seem to have done it with Summer Lightning and Parklife so why not roll it out to other areas of the three hills.

This is just random thinking I am doing here while at work so may not be workable with the current land-management systems.

glenp
    Free Member

You can't just demand the facilities to do whatever sport you like wherever you want. Why would mountain biking be any different?

mikey74
    Free Member

Why would mountain biking be any different?

Because it is an ever-growing sport that heavily utilises this area. Just read this and all the other recent threads. There is something that needs to be done about the current situation.

It's not a case of "demanding the facilities" it's to do with dealing with an existing and ever-growing problem. At the moment, the only logical outcome I can see is for the landowners to eventually turn around and say no more mountain bikes and it will become like the Ashdown Forest here near East Grinstead.

brooess
    Free Member

I've done 3 dig days now. 2x Redlands and 1x Hurtwood. Each time, no more than 10 volunteers. Where the hell are we?

glenp
    Free Member

A lot of people do want the separate corridors for mtb thing to be expanded. Including me. I have put in a hell of a lot of hours actually doing it, as have lots of other volunteers. It makes sense. But it isn't our right.

The whole situation will not be remedied without much better consideration of other people, whether we have our own trails or not.

If you're nearby Mikey do get involved with the volunteers, if you don't already.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I ride there most weeks and have a nice easy plan to follow that results in nae bother.

I ride up the bridalways and fire roads.

I ride down the singletracks and keep to the right path not cut corners because it's easier. it amazes me than on BYB people cut the corners, my 9 year old can ride that trail without doing that.

I always stop for walkers, horses and dogs if I meet them on the flat.

I say hello to people.

I ride through the mud not round it.

I take the dog she makes friends easier than me.

PPS
    I'm on the builders mailing list but have heard about no digs. Since the one where it pissed down all day who do i talk to about that.

mikey74
    Free Member

I live about 35 miles away and would be happy to chip in. Where do I find out when the dig days are?

The whole situation will not be remedied without much better consideration of other people, whether we have our own trails or not.

I totally agree and I think the best for all concerned is more mountain bike only trails. I do wonder if it is the only way mountain biking will survive on the Surrey Hills.

glenp
    Free Member

Send an eail to Hurtwood Control. Won't be anything for quite a while – roll on spring time.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Cheers Glen will do.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get this.

I've just been talking to our man here who lives in Albury.

He outlined three issues.

Too much speed especially around his dogs.

People who cycle on the footpaths whch are marked as footpath only he says there is one in the valley above his house that is a pure footpath has markers and barriers and yet still gets ridden. ( I belive this as I've seen people do this myself on the footpath only bit at the top of Holmbury.

However this disturbed me.

Our man was walking Holmbury from the top car park by the false pond up to the monument at the top. If anyone has ridden this it's clearly a bridal way and is very heavily used by walkers as it leads directly from he car park to the summit. He tells me there was a chap teaching some novices to do jumps and drop offs in the gully there, jumping onto and across the bridal way, worst place imaginable IMHO. He asked the guy if that was the best place for teaching who told him to F off. He is a really nice reasonable guy not some ultra pissed off nutter and this is how some of us treat locals is it?

WTF??

glenp
    Free Member

Wow. I can assure you that wasn't one of us! We have for the most part stopped riding down that bit entirely, purely because it so fast and so close to the car park.

We do sometimes do sessions such as rolling down a steep slope in places that you might see us, but we always stop completely if someone comes through and we most certainly don't use language like that!

10pmix
    Free Member

That is shocking. I'm assuming it wasn't one of the the 'official' looking classes I see being taught in that area on Sundays..

The other bit that can really cause a rumpus now I come to think of it is the lane leading down into Peaslake past the church. So it's a perfect place to slow right down and throw some 'good mornings' around as the churchgoers sometimes look in fear for their lives when they first catch a bike out of the corner of their eye. Its amazing how quickly you'll get a smile straight back once they realise you are not an evil biker intent on their premature demise…

joolsburger
    Free Member

According to him it was. He described the group as a teacher and students. He said there are three routes and two involve jumps ( I know exactly where he means) and that these people were being instructed. He spoke to what he described as the teacher and was told and I quote "F off we can do what we want on a bridleway".

glenp
    Free Member

I'd love to know who the hell that was. Not only behaving like dicks but leaving the suspicion that it was AllBikedUp.

joolsburger
    Free Member

He and I get on well and he has no reason to embellish his story.

Also he is an older chap not all that well versed in the ways of MTB so his description does seem to indicate it was ne of the skills schools and not just a group of bikers.

glenp
    Free Member

Not doubting you matey. It just wasn't us! Usually if there is a skills group about it will be us. We do jumps sometimes on the banks down by the cricket pitch, we roll down the slope to the end of Doc, we used to roll down the bank right at the top adjacent to the bridleway cut (but that has been stopped for a while)… I actually can't quite visualise where you mean this was.

I do know with complete confidence that myself or Richard or any of our other qualified instructors would most certainly not tell someone to F off, even if we thought they were wrong.

woodsman
    Free Member

It's a very delcicate situation, the more 'official' publicised trails that are put in, for the best of intentions – to reduce erosion, the more people will travel there, and the more folk like me, will try and find new natural stuff away from the area. It is a difficult one, I don't pretend to have the answer.

BTW – that was a a bit of a sweeping statement by me earlier regarding 'trail centre bikes' – apologies. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Trails Blocked in Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.