Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • trails at ben nevis? advice please
  • ton

off to scotland on wednesday for a weeks offroad tour.
    the 1st day is planned to be spent riding up from roybridge to the forest and across to the nevis trail.
    plan to have a look at the dh course and just have a steady days warm up on the trail in the forest.

a. is there plenty to ride
    b. is it possible to ride the dh course
    c. is it possible to ride (bimble) the dh course on a h/t 29r.
    d. reccommend me a great pub nearby selling i.p.a's please…… 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton, If I were in your shoes I'd go and ride something natural. Devils Staircase and Ciaran Path. Please dont come to Scotland and ride trail centre stuff.

AJ
    Free Member

ditto

ton

mcmoonter, doing ds and the ciaran on the 7th day of the tour.
    the nevis trails day is a warm up day while we wait for a mate coming up.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Where else are you headed?

ton

stop overs are
    roybridge
    aviemore
    pitlochry
    killin
    kingshouse
    fort william

with as much offroad as possible to connect em up
    we are at roybridge for the 1st 2 nights, so wanted a days ride but nowt too severe for the day.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My wife rode the blue and red trails at the Witches trails on Saturday. The Blue took her half an hour and and the Red WC took about an hour. She is pregnant though, so you should whip around them in no time.

duir
    Free Member

Worth a look at the Fort William DH courses and XC for a day for a bit of fun but there is such mind blowing natural mountain stuff up there it's well worth the effort.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton, here is a wee loop for you. Head up from Roybridge up to the car park just past Moy on the Laggan road. There is a car park on the north side of the road between the Spean Reaservoir and Loch Laggan. Cross the Spean to Luiblea and follow the singletrack up Allt Coire a Chalachair, over to Loch Pattack. Ride around the Loch and follow the River Pattack down on the Land Rover track to Ardverikie. You'll recognise it from the Monarch of the Glen TV series. Then ride up the loch side home.

Its a great wee natural loop with a couple of great downills and super views.

There is a lot of stuff around Aviemore. Its worth trying to contact Aviemoron on here as a guide, or try the guys at Bothy Bikes. The guys at Escape Route are you local experts in Pitlochry. Speak to Dangerous if he's in there.

stevious

If you do decide to go to Nevis Range, keep your eyes peeled, as there's buckets of 'natural' singletrack hidden in the woods.

ton

Allt Coire a Chalachair,

do you mean allt coire pitridh from lochan na earba and up past loch a bealaich leamhain?

NickScots
    Free Member

The Red XC dhill is good, just 2 or 3 bits not rollable on my XC full susser.

The World CUP XC route is good, steep climbing to the top though.

Have fun

Nick

PS It's worth having an afternoon lazing at Arisaig beaches

Ticklinjock

To contrast the other rides You've planned, take the gondola and have a go at the red, tis great fun.
    The weather forecast is perfect for going up that high this week.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

do you mean allt coire pitridh from lochan na earba and up past loch a bealaich leamhain?

Sorry, yes, I was looking at it on multimap. Its a rideable climb with a good descent. Its a while since I've ridden it.

ton

thanks mate, will do it and report back with some piccies too…. 8)

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Just go straight up and down t'Ben. It's a cracking ride- your brain's a wreck by the end of it because it's such a challenge. One of my favourite rides of the year. There's also a tougher, techier descent that goes from the top and eventually winds it's way to the Nevis range which is meant to be excellent too.

Xylene
    Free Member

take the gondol

My mates dad was the architect for the gondola, must be back in 1990 or so, Swenson was his name.

. I hate them, scare me silly they do.

remember when they first tested them, they wrecked one in the winds when it smashed against the side, they then realised they needed ballast.

I hate it even more when they stop for five minutes to unload stuff and you're left hanging in the air.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘trails at ben nevis? advice please’ is closed to new replies.