Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trails around Llangollen
  • excitable1
    Free Member

We’ve been riding the Beast of Llangollen for a while now and love a lot of what it has to offer, but we can’t help but notice the little bits of cheeky off shoots and places that look and should be rideable but don’t show up on any maps as either FP’s or BW’s.

So, would anyone be willing to share a bit of local knowledge, ideally we’d like to add stuff on to the Beast loop but we’ll try anything you’re willing to share. If you’d prefer not to post my e-mail is in the profile.

Cheers

gelert
    Free Member

As a local I think I should actually go and do the Beast in full before I comment. Done many parts of it but not attempted it as a whole.

I’m hopeful that the Welsh Assembly will open out the access rights soon and we can share our wonderful trails. All the ones I ride are, shall we say, cheeky ones?!

excitable1
    Free Member

… and can you share any of those cheeky ones please. There’s only 2 of us and they’d go no further. Cubs honour !

jam-bo

strava will show you the way…

jekkyl

4800ft of climbing in 24 miles! eff me. pic 16 …. jesus.
    I think I’ll have to have a drive out that way, is your climbing rightly rewarded?

excitable1
    Free Member

LOL… the road climb past the church before the last drop into Llangollen is a bitch & will make you cry… but the descent down after it will either have you grinning from ear to ear or leave brown stuff in your pants !!!

The whole trail is like that, one minute you’re thinking boring climbs and roads… should be out on a cross bike, the next you’re on a mad descent…wish I had a DH bike.

The climbs are all ridable though, there’s no bike hike.

gelert
    Free Member

If you want to make the trails around Llangollen (and everywhere else in Wales) more open… please make your voice heard and let the Welsh Government consultation know. Even if you don’t live in Wales – it’s open to everyone.

This link has an auto-email-letter thingy which is dead easy to fill in:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/campaign/trails-wales

If that happens as I hope it will it’ll be amazing for everyone.

I found the trails I ride from little group rides, people I’ve met and become friends with through cycling and from Strava over the last 18 months since I started exploring the mountains. I always explore “new” trails solo though especially all mountain ones. I just love looking at online maps, picking a few important marker points, checking out that someone else has ridden them on Strava and then going to have a look for them with my phone (ViewRanger app). That commits them to memory for me better than being shown by someone else.

Every so often we’ll have a little group ride and swap trails. I love living here. So lucky.

This week I found out about at least three trails I’ve not ridden and even heard about some others that are totally top secret (apparently). There are obviously many more trails for me to discover that are just on my doorstep somewhere!

ironnigel
    Free Member

@Gelert.
    Done. Bostin’ idea. Well done.

Looking for somewhere to ride this weekend…. Possibly sorted now.
    Ta STW.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Llangollen’ is closed to new replies.