Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trailraker Tyres…………
  • Marmite
    Free Member

Are they any good, if so what is the best size, the 1.95″ or 2.1″?

Slippery round our way and the Maxxis XC tyres I have on at the moment are not handling it.

MoreCashThanDash

They clear really well, but can still clog up in very sticky clay stuff. Used mine for the first time this winter yesterday and noticeably better than the High Rollers I had on in similar conditions a couple of weeks ago.

I have the 1.95 version for extra mud clearance on the bike, rather than any reasons related to the ground itself.

My understanding was that Trailrakers had been overtaken by newer mud tyres from other manufacturers, but I’ll not change mine till they need changing

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

For pure unadulterated mud traction, theres little in the market to beat them IMO. They’re even good in mixed terrain (i.e exposed limestone and clay round my way). However, over the years I’ve been using them (about three) I’ve drawn the conclusion that they’re quite twitchy and break randowmly at moderate-large leaning angles.

I’ve actually reverted to a set of Tioga FAT66 DH tyres for mud plugging. They’re certainly not fast (neither are the panaracers) but they weigh the same and the sidewalls are of UST thickness, meaning I can run them tubeless at 20psi for supper stability and grip. Round my way riding in winter is not really about speed anyway.

sofatester
    Free Member

If clearance is not an issue get the 2.1in

They grip on just about anything.

orena45

I ride 2.1s on my Scandal for winter riding around Derbyshire fields and woods. As Swadey says, can clog up in particularly sticky mud but otherwise I find them pretty good. Normally ride 2.1 Maxxis Advantages in the summer and find the 2.1 TRs narrow enough for my liking 😀

smiffy

Grand on the back, but I use a Gazzaloddi Dual on the front as I like a shoulder-y tyre up front, if you get my meaning.

thefallguy
    Free Member

The offer much more grip in soft, loose and mud than a standard tyre, but they come up quite small, got 2.1’s and don’t seem any bigger than the mud-x 2.0. More traction than the mud-x but they don’t quite hang on as well, they are draggy compared to mud-x/high rollers etc, the sidewalls seems tougher than mud-x (main reason I tried em), important to me as I’m running them tubeless and have torn a couple of bontys.

smiffy

Grand on the back, but I use a Gazzaloddi Dual on the front as I like a shoulder-y tyre up front, if you get my meaning.

bigsi
    Free Member

find them a great mud tyre. Use the 1.95’s myself for no other reason than mud clearance.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Second year using the 2.1’s up here in the Highlands where it can be very boggy. Have found them brilliant: a bit slow on the tarmac and fire roads but then probably all mud tyres are. MBR did a mud tyre test a few isues back. The TR’s got a 9/10 – only ones that got a 10 were Hutchinsons I think.

BTW, the 2.1’s are not that big so you should’nt have clearance issues

Marmite
    Free Member

Right, may give them a go then, seems quite positive..

Thanks all.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I hate them, they drag, they break away unpredictably, the pin ball all over the place in rock gardens.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trailraker Tyres…………’ is closed to new replies.