Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trailgator or tag-along?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What are the pros and cons of each?

TIA.

AntM
    Free Member

I’ve had both, the trailer gator didn’t work too well as my wee lad ended up hanging onto his bike at 45 deg due to the play in the system. I got a Ed’ Bicycle SS tag a long and that has worked out well. In fact was down GT this afternoon with on the back of the 5 and was great- wee girl v happy on the blue.

iainc

the trailer gator didn’t work too well as my wee lad ended up hanging onto his bike at 45 deg due to the play in the system.

you have to do up the clamp on the wee bike’s headtube scary tight to stp it moving, but once done it is solid. Mine now surplus to requirements and for sale in central belt…peebles 😆

big_scot_nanny

That issue can happen with the tagalong also, just have make sure that both e bike head tube mount and seat post mount are dead centre and tight as ****.

I can sort of see the benefit of tagalongs, but with the trail gator it does that bit, then you can unattached and the wee one can scoot about. Been brill to keep me fit-ish whilst getting somewhere, then we can ride together when it’s safe or we are at our destination. Raaaally opens up the world for the kid as the distances you can cover are great, but they can still go themselves when able. Great! (you get clip things on your bike to hold the gator in place when not attached, works great for pootling but I wouldn’t take it off road or anything like that. Also weighs a ton).

I guess with both systems, and certainly important for the trail gator, is to have a mud guard on our rear wheel that will stop spray hitting wee one behind. Yep, sorry son!

Kev

aracer
    Free Member

I can sort of see the benefit of tagalongs, but with the trail gator it does that bit, then you can unattached and the wee one can scoot about.

Alternatively I can fit mini-aracer’s bike in a pannier on the back of the tandem with him using the kiddy cranks. Not that cheap if you don’t already have a tandem, but handles better than either.

djflexure

Used a tagalong for many years. Great for long days out with kids 4-6 yrs. Younger and they need a trailer. Older and they want to ride plus are getting heavy. Go for one that folds so you can transport it easily.

The trailgaior idea is great but from what I’ve seen execution is poor. Kids usually look uncomfortable. The angle of the bike is all wrong – held up and off to one side.

Jase
    Free Member

Used a tailgator for a year or so and thought it was great.

Once set up it took seconds to take off and put back on.

never had any issues as mentioned above.

chriswilk
    Free Member

iainc

maybe interested in this if the offer of a tag-along doesn’t come true.
    How much would you want for it? (I’m in Penicuik)

Timmo
    Free Member

my littlun Loves her tag along, has Really sped up the balance on her normal bike! she’s 4 1/2 and happily riding without stabalizers on her bike, and is Always asking to go out on it!! often use it for the school run!

only issue’s ive had with it are that they take a bit of getting used to over trailers, there’s a Little bit of play on the hinge of ours which at first is Really off putting! especially when they like to lean over and see around you!! is quite common for them to develop play as its a weak ish joint, especially on the cheaper ones, is also suprisingly noticeable when they Stop pedaling!!

but over all i’d recommend one! capable of some proper off roading as long as littlun can hold on tight!!
    i got ours cheap and have pimped it for my girly and she Loves it!! although ‘its not pink enough’ were here words!!

the wife sais when ever littlun and i have been out and she’s met us there, Littlun is Always smiling when she’s on it!
    oh, is also a good excuse for a new seat post and saddle combo as the main hitch is normally Very heavy!! have one set up with the hitch on and a normal riding set, des limit saddle down otherwise (if you like moving your saddle a lot!)

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Got a trailgator, never used a tagalong. Gator strikes me as being more versatile in a wider variety of situations and allows easy switching between letting the boy ride on his own and towing him when knackered / on the road etc.

Comfort and “leaning” probs sound like it’s not fitted properly. I had that issue, straightened the clamps / fittings and nipped up the bolts and it’s been fine.

In themselves significantly cheaper than a tagalong too, when you compare gator+bike to tag+bike. Think cheapest I found was Rutland Cycle’s ebay shop c.£40.

wwaswas

My local Halfords (Hove) had a trail gator for £30 the other day.

I’ve got both – use the tag-along for the school run and anytime I know my daughter won’t need to go ‘free range’ and the trailgator for family rides where she’ll do a bit of solo tow-path stuff.

tag-a-log is more secure and stable for long rides plus the saddle angle is right for comfort and stability- when you lift the front wheel for the trailgator the saddle angle ont he kids bike changes.

For ‘rough’ off road stuff I’d go for a tag-along the front wheel on the kids bike is too low for anything more than gentle transitions from up to down and low roots/rocks

iainc

Chris – YGM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trailgator or tag-along?’ is closed to new replies.