• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cb.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • TrailDrop Seat Post – Anyone used one?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

A mate wants a fairly cheep dropper (27.2 flavor) – considering second hand but anyone got a TrailDrop Seat Post?

http://www.bigmassive.co.uk/traildrop/

Looks like a Gravity Dropper copy?

Any views welcome – Thx 🙂

Wozza
    Free Member

(Tick)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Found this by searching Google – missed this first time around:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/forca-vario-dropper-seatpost-gravity-dropper-clone-272/page/6

theotherjonv

I’ve had the Forca ‘equivalent’ with disappointing results. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/forca-seatpost
    When it worked, it worked fine. But now the bush has swollen up, the shaft won’t slide through it properly even when lubed to within an inch ot its life, and it has left it badly scratched. Now it won’t extend to its proper length under its own steam, but if I reach between my legs and give it a quick tug, it’s soon back up again though. And yes, I always use it covered with a suitable rubber boot.

That said, i believe one of the improvements of the Traildrop was to spec different / better bushings so maybe they will be better.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate has one, he’s 16st of clumsy oaf and he hasn’t broken it in the last 6 months.

He also has a tendency to leave his bike outside in all weathers and it still works!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thanks guys – will pass on 🙂

thepurist

Excellent writeup Finbarr theotherjonv 😀

mattbee

Mine has worked well for the few weeks I’ve had it. Needs a bit of practice to get the ‘bum tap’ to re-extend it right but dropping is easy. Only irritating issue with mine is that the dirt boot stays ‘compressed’ after it has been dropped, exposing the hole on the back it is supposed to cover. needs to be attached at the top of the post I reckon, will probably cable tie it.
    Aparrently there has been an issue with the 90 degree entrance remote cables snapping so they are being replaced free of charge with direct entry ones like in the pic above. Can’t say I’ve had an issue myself.
    If the decent hydraulic ones were available readily in 27.2 I’d spend the extra cash, and I’m glad I spent £80 on a 2nd hand Joplin for my wife’s bike as apart from extra maintenance it is so much nicer in construction and operation. Basically if you’re looking because it’s chep buy 2nd hand hydraulic, if you’re looking because it is 27.2 then it’s worth the cash.

was
    Free Member

Hi all, Will@BigMassive.co.uk here. Just wanted to stop by to respond to a couple of things:

The TrailDrop uses a revised bushing material to combat the “sticky when wet” syndrome – you may note the bushing is “dark grey” in colour rather than black ( http://www.bigmassive.co.uk/traildrop-spares/ ). I supply all posts with a boot included to help keep the muck out, however to maximise the life of the bushing I advise they are given 5 mins attention after a wet ride. The boot can be cable tied at the very top (just under the clamp) with a thin tie to make sure it rises up with the post if yours is sticking.

The 90 degree cable entry previously supplied required a “thin” type inner cable. The last batch had the inner cable clamped at the lever end by grub screws. The combination of extra resistance from the 90 degree entry, the thin cable and the way it was clamped by grub screws on the lever led to a small number of customers snapping cables when out riding. I took the decision to warn customers with a remote with this particular combination (grub screw lever, 90 degree entry and thin cable) about the issue as soon as it was discovered and have now supplied a replacement remote unit based on a direct entry cable port and thicker inner. Most have not had a problem – but I hated the idea of people being stranded with a post stuck in position so I warned and sent out replacements as soon as I could get them (recent typhoon in Taiwan caused additional delay).

27.2 TrailDrop Dropper Seatpost By BigMassive.co.uk

If anyone has questions about TrailDrop posts don’t hesitate to drop me an email.

nixie

@themods

Clear inconsistency here, the bikepimp.co.uk threads were pulled when they were much less commercial than threads about these dropper posts have been. Either all commercial activity needs to be censored, or none!

@was
    Sorry if this results in your threads being pulled. That’s not the intention.

// I’m not affiliated with bikepimp in anyway

theotherjonv

Didn’t see the Bikepimp thread so can’t compare that with this but personally I don’t see a problem with a manufacturer / importer responding to specific questions about his kit.

Will; do your bushings fit Forca innards – and if so would you sell me some?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

When are the next batch available was?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Doh! I’m sure I checked the site last night.

andyparle
    Free Member

Will,can I ask you why you have changed from a 110mm drop to a 90mm? I have been waiting to buy one from yourself but surely 90mm is kinda going backwards? was there an issue with the longer drop? Cheers and keep up the good work

bland

Id strongly advise against buying a hydraulic one secondhand.

The amount of reverbs that have died on friends bikes is rediculous.

I have a 27.2 gravity dropper and its ok, def worth having but not a hydraulic one.

When are Cannondale going to release one with the same square internal as the lefty but with new round bushings and a round shaft, c’mon guys!!!

thorlz
    Free Member

I have got one and for the money it is fantastic.

Every couple of wet/gritty rides I take it apart and clean/grease it. This takes about 15mins and as such have no problems with it.

I did have a cable snapping problem with the 90 degree bend, but the complete cable assembly was replaced free of charge and since then it has been spot on.

So.. for how much they cost tell your friend to buy one, deffo worth the money.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Will,can I ask you why you have changed from a 110mm drop to a 90mm? I have been waiting to buy one from yourself but surely 90mm is kinda going backwards? was there an issue with the longer drop? Cheers and keep up the good work

+1

was
    Free Member

Hi they were never 110mm, I did consider getting some made with a 110mm drop, but that would restrict the number of frames they would fit – not everyone has enough seat post showing to allow for a 110mm drop. Maybe in future if sales go well I will get some 110mm ones in.

MrGreedy

(Sorry to resurrect an old thread)

Any idea when the Traildrops will be back in stock?

cb

I asked last night – no response from was so far. I want one NOW!!

Please…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘TrailDrop Seat Post – Anyone used one?’ is closed to new replies.