Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trail Tour of Wales
  • jclay
    Free Member

(First topic…Hello!)

Have managed to blag some holiday around the jubilee bank holiday the week before Bikefest at Ashton Court, and figured it would be a good time to do some trail centre touring. Going from Cheltenham down to South Wales and then planning to head North over the course of a few days.

Have found some old topics about camping in South Wales, Afan vs Glyncorrwg and things. Just wondering if anyone knew the latest? Want to keep the cost down as much as possible and do just one night in the area so probably limited to my choices but anywhere you can suggest I’d really appreciate your input.

Massive thanks in advance Guys 😀

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Most trail centers tend to be deserted midweek so take your pick, I’m a regular for Afan/Brechfa two dayer & Nant-y-arain+Brecons for some natural stuff – you could slot Cwm carn in on the way home.
    Check the news section here for the latest

jackberesford
    Free Member

I camped at Glyncorrwg a few weeks ago, really good campsite, decent facilities and right at the start of the trails. Only £5 a night too! Also if you ask at the timber factory next door they’ll give you some free fire wood. Also look at Cae Gwyn campsite if you’re planning to go to Coed Y Brenin.

jclay
    Free Member

Cheers Jackberesford, great inside knowledge! Glyncorrwg is looking like the favourite for South Wales. Got a bed in Newtown which is apparently somewhere in the middle and then was going to head north so will check Cae Gwyn, thanks.

continuity
    Free Member

I wouldn’t miss Brechfa or Coed Y Brenin.

ceramicmatt

Brecfa would be my choice. Just under an hour from Carmarthen and a great pub near the car park

jackberesford
    Free Member

Machynlleth is also worth looking at if you’re heading near to Coed Y Brenin.

jclay
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, hoping to hit as many trail centres as possible but the big consideration is going to be cash, so will need to do some research in to cheap accommodation and see how I can link them all together

lotus777
    Free Member

will be very interested in how you get on as i’m planning to do the same as soon as the weather settles a bit. again for me the cost of petrol and accomodation means some carefull planning is required. the part i want to do the most is the snowdonia area – trail centres and good natural stuff there. just gutted the voluntary ban will be on for the mountain when i go as would love to have a go at that.

jclay
    Free Member

Just been looking at reviews and the campsite at Glyncorrwg takes a bit of a slating. Anyone know of any facilities near Brechfa, or any cheap accomodation? Could always drive there after a day at Afan and wake up to Brechfa trails the next day.

wrecker
    Free Member

I stayed here once;
    http://www.glasfrynguesthousebrechfa.co.uk/
    The evening meal was not good (at all) but the people were nice and they have a bar!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trail Tour of Wales’ is closed to new replies.