Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trail running shoes, what's good?
  • cogglepin

Looking to spend £50 to £70. Seen some Salomon around that price, any good or what else should I be looking at?
    Cheers.

Dudie
    Free Member

If you can find some Brooks Cascadias or Saucony Peregrines on offer, they’re both worth a look (both usually around the £100 mark, but last seasons models can often be had for a lot less). Personally prefer the Peregrines. Adidas Kanadia also worth a look in your price range.

cogglepin

I shall have a look now. Cheers.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have started wearing Hoka trainers which are great for their rolling sole and good side support. Not sure what they are like for running but great for people with fused ankles.

Cougar

Salomon are ace.

Search back, there’s been a few similar threads of late.

dovebiker

Big fan of Hoka One One here too – great for prepped trails although wouldn’t fancy them on mountain tracks where the risk of rolling an ankle is higher. I can run longer without my legs really feeling it the next day.

cogglepin

Yep, I’ve found the old thread so will have a read of that. You’ve all given me plenty to go on, cheers guys.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Depends what your feet like.

Mine like Inov 8 and Sacouny

I prefer shoes with very little rise

CraigW
    Free Member

I like Asics Fuji Attack. More cushioning than some trail running shoes, comfy for me anyway on longer runs. You can probably get last years model for about £50 (check Sportsshoes or Start Fitness).

Inov8 are good for very muddy runs. Though I found they rubbed on my heels, and caused blisters.

nickc

depends really do need just off road or proper grip, as the treads can vary loads.

Have used Innov8 X-talon 212, they keep your feet nice and stable, loads of grip, dry out quickly and are reasonable flat, just got some Addidas Terrex Continental X-king (sole is X king tyre copy!) just as nice, fit good, enough padding, dry quickly nice and stable.

schmiken

I love my Salomon Speedcross and XA Pro 3Ds, but find out if your feet fit them first!

djglover
    Free Member

Salomon fellraiser are good, I got some for 40 quid at tkmax, but the insole and laces are crap. After I replaced both a great pair of trail running shoes. My race shoes are inov8s new xtalon 225, they offer superb, grip, comfort, support and protection but can’t comment on longevity

curto80
    Free Member

You have to be so careful with Salomon these days since they started making 400 different types of shoe. Some of their stuff is dreadful. Are you looking for door to trail or pure trail? What sort of trail running do you do?

Spin
    Free Member

Salomon fellraiser are good, I got some for 40 quid at tkmax, but the insole and laces are crap.

Agree about the insole but I think the lacing system works really well. I think the sole on fellraisers is more aggressive than many folks would need in a trail shoe, but depends on your exact usage. I use them as a fell shoe as the name suggests.

cogglepin

Curto, I have a pair of shoes for road running so these will be purely for the trail. North York moors, so moorland and some forest work as well. You are right there are hundreds of Salomon to choose from!

cogglepin

nickc, how do the inov8 size up?

marcus
    Free Member

Fell raisers for me. Ran some silly distances in mine without any problems. Guess they just suit my feet.

stox
    Free Member

Loving my La Sportiva’s … Got a pair a few months ago after always running in Adidas Kanadia’s.
    Kanadia’s are great shoes for not much cash. The La Sportiva’s have so far been worth the outlay.

nickc

cogglepin, I’m a size 9 and use same size Innov8. they have a standard, and ‘precision’ fit, the precision fit is supposed to be a bit narrower and tight at heel and front, I use the standards and you can still cinch them up so the don’t slip and move about around your foot, and they’re (I found them) a bit comfier.

Spin
    Free Member

Fell raisers for me. Ran some silly distances in mine without any problems

I really rate them. Decent grip on soft ground and a bit more padding / protection than say a fellcross or mudclaw which can be nice on rocky terrain. I did the last 40 miles of my Ramsay’s Round in them, had meant to change but my feet felt fine so just kept them on, not a mark on my feet at the end. Can’t argue with the price either.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I also rate the Fellraisers. Only reason I got rid is the tread was a bit overkill for my area. Now I use Nike Terra Kiger for general trail running and Inov8 X-Talon when it gets real muddy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trail running shoes, what's good?’ is closed to new replies.