Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Trail running
  • bowser538
    Free Member

Fancy giving this a go
    I’m comfortable with 8 to 10 miles on road.
    What’s a good starting point off road
    Best footwear etc ?
    Will I need specific clothing etc
    General tips appreciated
    Thanks

joshvegas
    Free Member

Try it with what you have.

shoe wise you’ll need to do some running to work out what the majority of your runs will be like surface wise its harder than you think so take it easy!

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Don’t worry about speed just jog it out. Also don’t be afraid to stride up hills if they get too much for you. It can be tough but take some food and water as you would on a ride and you will be fine.

Footwear wise, it’s best to start with what you have, if it is something you want to do more of maybe opt for a purpose trail shoe – mine are addidas kanadia (sp) and comfy and grippy – but there is no rush for them.

nickc

Your road running clothes will be fine. As it dries out, you ‘should’ be OK with your shoes, although you may want to think about some trail/road ones in case you don’t want your road shoes to get muddy. Careful with your ankles, it’s easy to turn them, and don’t try to match your road speed to begin with.

Enjoy the view !

mogrim

Another vote for “go for it with what you’ve got” – just take it easy at first, particularly on the downhills. And don’t be afraid to walk the uphill bits, all the trail races I go to have bits that even the leaders walk up.

If and when you do decide to get some proper trail shoes don’t worry too much about the pronation/supination thing, off road it’s nothing like as important. Most of the brands (apart from perhaps Nike) have decent trail shoes, as well as Salomon (the market leaders) and my personal favourite, La Sportiva. But while they’re nice to have and definitely an advantage when it gets muddy or technical, they’re by no means essential when you’re starting out.

bowser538
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips
    Probably shoes will be main investment
    I intend to run some of my riding loops first to see how it goes
    Hopefully progress to longer routes Lake District etc

harvey
    Free Member

i like the inov8 roclite 315 as a good all round trail/mountain shoe. they are ok for a bit of road and cope well with slippy/muddy mountain decents. i have tried the salomons twice and found the toe box too tight.
    google advice on decending, some fairly simple tips can greatly enhance your enjoyment.
    it is brilliant fun. entering a fell race is a very quick way to improve. my mates pushed me to enter one about 8 years ago with the immortal words ‘you won’t be last’ i very nearly was last but since then have been hooked !

Kuco

Edit
    If you are running mixed trail I find Salomon Crossmax good for me.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Road running shoes may be a serious handicap, depending on your trails. If so, don’t let that put you off as proper shoes can make a hell of a difference. But hard to advise on off-road shoes without more details. My mudclaw 300s were a revelation after several struggles on slippery hillsides.

dobo
    Free Member

ohh i love trail running and obstacle course racing.
    I really like inov-8 trainers
    current favorites are x-talon 212 for winter and hilly muddy routes and most OCR, but also use roclite 295, trailroc 245, and f-lite 240 depending on what im doing

If you are not familiar with minimal trainers and heal drops do not just go and buy a zero drop trainer and run 10 miles off road, you heal and achilies will probably be in pieces the next day.
    transition slowly 6mm then 3mm then 0mm.

whitestone
    Free Member

I used to do a *lot* of fell running.

Clothes wise – just use what you have for the road but be prepared to take light waterproofs if you head out on the tops in iffy weather.

Shoes – depends on terrain and weather, some races like the Yorkshire 3 peaks can be done in road shoes if it’s been fine for a couple of weeks beforehand. Other races you definitely will need fell shoes. Inov8 do a variety of trail and fell shoes. The classic fell shoe is the Walsh. Try several and use what fits. Off-road shoes have little cushioning but it means that you are less likely to turn an ankle.

As for what distance you might look at – cut a third off what you are comfortable with on-road for trails and halve it for fell. Usual precautions apply – see how you feel with something easy(ish) to begin with then build up. Take care on the descents, it does more damage to your quads than you might imagine.

I found that I could handle bigger distances on the fells than on the road: I think it’s the repetitive nature of running on the road that’s harder to deal with. The uneven nature of off-road running mean that every foot-fall is different.

Don’t worry about speed, at least to begin with, it will take time to get used to the different tempo of off-road running.

mogrim

As for what distance you might look at – cut a third off what you are comfortable with on-road for trails and halve it for fell.

Or quarter it for trail, depending on where you running… The word “trail” is inclusive 🙂

But definitely don’t expect anything like the times you’ll get on road – I did 29K today, trail – and while I can run a 1:30 HM on asphalt, today’s “run” took me over 4…

duir
    Free Member

Trail running is brilliant especially from a financial point of view if you are from a mountain bike background. I find it’s something I can pick up and put down from one month to the next with very little difference in performance. I tend to do it when my bike isn’t working or once in a while for a change. I have hardly ever spent money on kit for running in the way I do for bikes. Always buy trail style trainers in the sales and a running t shirt and tracksters and tough socks last me donkeys years. If it’s a big run in the mountains I use a lowe alpine running rucsac I bought in 1997 which is in perfect condition.

So in short, don’t spend much, get out in the hills and run as far as you believe you can.

nickc

fell running. Is Not trail running

in my head they are very different things. Is that just me?

djglover
    Free Member

Yep, fell running <> trail running, roclite 295 are a great supportive hard wearing trail shoe, I’ve put 500 miles + on mine over winter and the soles look fresh. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

Depends where the trails are as to what you need, if it’s your local woods a montane featherlite plus road gear, if it’s a bit more remote a full waterproof.

mogrim

fell running. Is Not trail running

Trail running is the superset, it includes all sorts of running including fell. At least that’s how I see it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I fell running.

djglover
    Free Member

Fell running

Trail running

whitestone
    Free Member

Trail running is the commercial arm of fell running 8)

The shots above pretty much show the actual difference though there’s some overlap between the easier fell races and harder trail races. Cross-country races will tackle harder terrain than a trail race. It’s like saying the World cup DH series is a subset of riding along the canal bank.

mogrim

The shots above pretty much show the actual difference though there’s some overlap between the easier fell races and harder trail races

If the above photo is indicative of the difficulty fell racers face, I’d say most trail races are considerably harder. At least the ones in Spain anyway.

nickc

Racing<>Running. Either…

whitestone
    Free Member

The fell running shot is of the Kirkfell race in Wasdale which is a straight up and down affair on a grassy path, a steep path. Google “fell running” and look at the images category and you’ll see a wide range of terrain, the only “rule” is that a race route shouldn’t include rock climbing.

On the continent all off-road running gets called “trail” (in whatever language) but in the UK, “trail” is most definitely not “fell”. The UTMB is called a “trail” race but covers some pretty rough ground. Another distinction would be that fell races tend to seek out summits whereas trail races tend to avoid them and stick to lower ground and passes. Not an absolute dividing line but a reasonable starting point. Fell races often have a series of checkpoints with no prescribed route between them though usually you are just following the couple of hundred runners in front. Trail races follow a prescribed route.

One type does tend to meld in to the other and it’s often more a feeling that a particular race is either “fell” or “trail”. Many fell runners view the Three Peaks race as being closer to cross-country or trail than a true fell race even though it’s in the FRA calendar as a fell race. Sometimes it’s just an historical accident as to whether a race is classed as fell or trail.

mogrim

On the continent all off-road running gets called “trail” (in whatever language) but in the UK, “trail” is most definitely not “fell”. The UTMB is called a “trail” race but covers some pretty rough ground. Another distinction would be that fell races tend to seek out summits whereas trail races tend to avoid them and stick to lower ground and passes. Not an absolute dividing line but a reasonable starting point.

That makes sense, and certainly clears up my confusion – I’m used to the Spanish definition of trail, which definitely can include reaching the summit. It certainly isn’t a run down the towpath!

molgrips
    Free Member

I find trail running vastly easier – because I’m always stopping and changing my motion, it gives my muscles chance to relax. I stop to look at maps or find my way.. then there’s picking down a steep trail or climbing over something or whatever. Because the run gets broken up by necessity, I end up taking it easy and stopping to take photos or eat something etc, and I can easily be out for 2 or even 3 hours, whereas after an hour on road I’m battered.

brassneck

Trail running is the commercial arm of fell running

Trail running is just running for me, no fells here but some nice chalk hills. Never got along with road running, but I enjoy it now offroad.Just wear something with a bit of grip to it, you can afford to go a bit lighter/less cushioned too but I reckon thats over thinking it.

Did a 16 mile point to point yesterday, there were a few people doing it in those barefoot shoes, and they were all over the shop in the mud but still seemed to be enjoying it.

whitestone
    Free Member

@brassneck – I was being somewhat sarcastic with that commercial comment though quite a few of the trail events are more along those lines. Not against it – some people like the assurance of the route being marked, etc., if it gets folk out and doing exercise it’s got to be a good thing.

Shoes – modern running shoes, well those aimed at road/track runners, have a lot of cushioning and it is claimed/reckoned/thought that this cushioning makes it more likely to turn an ankle. No idea if this is actually the case – if I’ve sprained an ankle I’ve been in fell shoes!

yunki
    Free Member

I got bought a comfy pair of ‘trail’ running shoes a couple of weeks back..

I am NOT a runner by any stretch of the imagination – dodgy knees and total lack of interest… buuuut I’ve managed to jog/walk/trot and clamber up two mountains three times in the last fortnight

get out and do it is my opinion

bowser538
    Free Member

Did first trail run on Sunday a m
    Managed 6.5 miles. Used one of my local Mtb trails. As a starter. Various terrain muddy rocky plenty of up hills
    I bought some Adidas kanadia shoes. On offer on line. They feel ok comfy. And fairly grippy
    Really enjoyed the change from road running. Just seems more relaxed somehow
    Will definitely be trying more courses in future
    Found it challenging quick changes in direction etc but very rewarding
    Certainly made a change from the bike !
    Thanks all for tips etc

i_like_food

Very late to this OP, sorry. Sounds like you had fun on your first foray off road 🙂

Since you say you’re already running 8-10 miles on road I’ll save my “take your time building mileage” warning… in fact no I won’t! I loved trail running to the point where I thought the fact it wasn’t on the road would prevent any and all injuries. I was wrong. Take it steady building miles, esp if you get into longer and longer races.

Enjoy! Am jealous (Achilles still healing slowing) 🙂

ps – don’t be afraid to walk, I thought it wasn’t ‘proper’ if you walk. I was wrong.

john_l
    Free Member

Is anyone using footbeds in their “trail” shoes? I’m using either Brookes Cascadias or some old NB Talons (I think) for when it’s proper muddy & noticed that my right foot has a tendency to fall inwards, more noticeable in the Cascadias.

I know I’ve got high arches & use BG footbeds in the bike. Tempted to try them running but a little wary.

scaredypants

I think some of this confusion could be sorted if they adopted “Enduro” as a description

mogrim

Is anyone using footbeds in their “trail” shoes? I’m using either Brookes Cascadias or some old NB Talons (I think) for when it’s proper muddy & noticed that my right foot has a tendency to fall inwards, more noticeable in the Cascadias.

Try lacing them up a different way, you might find that holds your foot better in place on the downhills. (Here’s one link: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=single)

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Quick vote. If as a mountain biker on a signposted mountain bike trail you met a trail runnerer also using the same trail, would you rather the runner:
    a. was running the opposite direction to the signposted route (in order to watch out for cyclists coming towards them in order to get out the way); or
    b. was running in the same direction as you (meaning you have more time to watch for them, adjust speed etc while hoping the runner eventually looks behind to notice you’re there)?

I ask this as I have also started to do more off-road running, also currently just around my local park rather than proper hills. There are a few grassy, muddy, rocky, slidey paths, but it also has some signed mountain bike trails. At the moment when I venture onto these trails I have been going for choice ‘a’ feeling as I’m the one out of place I’m the one that wants to be getting out the way.

brassneck

Option a) – I followed a lovely young lady around Haldon for a mile or so before her earbuds fell out and she noticed me (nowhere to nip past, honest!) – but in the interests of safety, ‘a’ 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

Addidas Kanadia shoes here as well. They are cheap and effective. All you need is mud friendly colours and a bit of extra grip. These have both boxes ticked and should be available on line for <£50 (they size up small so go a 1/2 or full size bigger). Same with clothes, just mud friendly is the best bet.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely all running is the same whether its on road or off ie you put one foot in front of the over?

Off road is much more interesting that on road IMO.

I always used to wear the same trainers for on or off road, but then realised off road shoes gave you much more grip 🙂 Currently I use Inov8 Trail Roc 245’s bloomin comfy, light, grippy.

Expect to be a bit slower off road.

whitestone
    Free Member

Surely all biking is the same whether it’s on road or off road? 8)

There’s as much a split among runners regarding on and off road as there is on here! Some resolutely refuse to do one or the other while others just get on with it.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Trail running’ is closed to new replies.