Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Trail riding in East Lothian. full of hidden jems
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just back from some great trail riding in East Lothian, around Garvald and Gifford. Lots of great woody singletrack and hilltop riding. It's hillier than you would expect but there are masses of great trails around there. Does anyone else ride out there much?

westkipper
    Free Member

Well, no, but I wish I stayed a bit nearer these days so I could find out.
    I've always looked with real interest at all the wee trails that lead off while road riding down there.
    Are there trails that let you ride for a good distance offroad?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Maps McM?

GW
    Free Member

Yes, all the time – There's way better than that 😉

stooo
    Free Member

Live in Prestonpans… have spent a bit of time playing about the Garlton hills next to Haddington. There's no big routes around there, but some cracking little bits of trail. Worth exploring the Radio mast hill and the Monument hill.

Take the road bike around Garvald way and up into the lammies… but never thought of taking the MTB that way.

rickmeister

Had a few runs out from home in Musselburgh, easy out but the headwind on return can be brutal…

GW
    Free Member

rick, it's possible to ride from gifford to Musselburgh and berely touch a road, a surprisingly large amount of the ride once you leave the lammermuirs is sheltered by forest/trees.
    plus, any ride from Musselburgh is uphill outward so the headwind is somewhat negated by the descending.

jimmy

so who's organising a ride to take City folk out there?

rabyoung
    Free Member

Did a 40 miler from Stenton. Go east and up on the Herring Road over Dunbar Common and follow to the A697, up to Carfraemill and back over via Crib Law to Gifford and Stenton. A bit hikey-bikey at times but good value.

GW
    Free Member

not really interested in mollycoddling city folk to be honest.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

That's a shame. would be nice to find some new local-ish trails.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have done some riding out that way and found some good stuff. Makes for rather a long day out from Leith tho – easy to end up doing 60 + miles

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie, I went out with Colin yesterday, he's got a fair knowledge of what's out there, but we were finding more and more new trails as we went. Once you are out of the trees its pretty exposed. The landscape though is stunning, and we never saw a soul all day.

italspark
    Free Member

………lammermuirs warning………..this is not glenstress…….you will see no-one all day ……….there is no cafe………!
    enjoy

italspark
    Free Member

me and the west saltoun massif, have an unregular ride out of pencaitland on a wednesday night, a couple of hours of low level mostly woods riding
    anyone local looking for a night ride ?

robgarrioch

Might give you a shout next week ital – how suited would your route be for a rigid s'speed 29r? (not me you unnerstan'; my niche-riding buddies…) 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds good Pete, must try it.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I'd be up for next week, girls night at mine so I'm getting kicked out. I know some stuff out that way but be good to find some more. Give me some Guinnea pigs for my home brew too 😀

jimmy

yeah next week sounds good to me

italspark
    Free Member

rob, hammy was ripin it on his cross bike last time out, so not a problem

coastkid
    Free Member

my back yard,live at east fortune, trails on doorstep all directions,think ive explored every nook and cranny of the county for nearly 20 years now…films on youtube for anyone who wants to see whats to ride.. heres some of its gems…
    woods…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxFfqVqKAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHG2l8nV1-o

my favourite the coast…

[/url]

Northwind

I got one of my bikes off a guy from Musselburgh, he said "I never ride it, the Pentlands are too far" 🙂

GW
    Free Member

italspark – so is that your nice road bike I've seen? (outside your house I presume?) I prob live about a mile from you.
    Can't ever do a Wednesday night, but I also night ride night a bit in the area.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Coastkid

fantastic. really love the tunes and the open spaces and scenery are hugely tempting.
    You've put together some great films there.

coastkid
    Free Member

thanks mike,ive hardly met anyone else riding round here,there are a few and see some tracks,spend days out and dont meet anyone,even walkers..esp on the lammermuirs.. its sweet

GW
    Free Member

coastkid, just watched the first 2 vids you've linked, think I've ridden most of it too. 😀
    in the second vid, have you done the off-road route on the North side of the river that goes all the way from the Mill to the gate at the NE of Saltoun wood? me and another 2 friends cut some quite nice singletrack in the middle (we never finished clearing the full route tho so it gets a little hike-a-bike in places.

coastkid
    Free Member

GW,yes thats where i was through saltoun,nice woods,bet its wet this now!,lots of forestry work last time i was there,but nice corner of the county,

italspark
    Free Member

coastkid and gw, your routes are familiar to me, we should get together and share our el knowledge, im free almost any sunday and late in the week for night rides.?

househusband

I recognise several bits from coastkid's excellent videos – but can't properly place them! I'd also be up for a weekend ride sometime soon.

not really interested in mollycoddling city folk to be honest.

Gary, you do come across as a proper **** sometimes; you have, I'm pretty sure, actually met and ridden with Jimmy before…

GW
    Free Member

Andy – 😆 'bit harsh mibbie, but I was just being honest. (am I ever anything else? 😳 ) – should have just nominated you, eh? 😛
    I've never really bothered to keep up with all the name changing on here so "Hi" and appologies to Jimmy, who ever you are.
    most of the riding I've been doing round this way recently has been on my own so routes and pace have been what suits my riding style, ie. slow on the dull bits, walk when I feel like it, sprint/session the fun bits, try new lines and generally just playing on the bike, I haven't even been raising my saddle unless I'm heading over your way – not really the type of rides to bring strangers from the internet along to, but if anyone else wants to organise a ride round here I'd gladly tag along, put a bit more effort into keeping up and share the bits I enjoy.

italspark – I'm often free most Sundays too, quite often during the day and any night except Weds n Fridays. not sure what my plan is for tomorrow, had thought either proper DH at innerleithen, or some local DH style pissing about over towards Musselburgh but nothing decided yet. Are you riding locally tomorrow?

vooomvooom
    Free Member

coastkid, great videos!!!I'll definitely TRY to find those routes:)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Trail riding in East Lothian. full of hidden jems’ is closed to new replies.