• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trail maintenance on Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat bridge near Ladybower
  • evh22
    Free Member

Peak District MTB are working with the Peak District National Park to do some much needed maintenance up on Whinstone Lee Tor. They are trying to remake the original (high) line, moving bikes off the eroded peak, improve the drainage and make it a great ride again.

Volunteers are welcome. If you are interested get in touch with James at Bike Garage or meet us there. If you can’t make it but want to get involved drop us a line and we can keep you updated with dates.

The next day is tomorrow 19th May meeting at 9.30 at Cutthroat bridge or up on the hill (look out for our flag) and the next one after that is next Wednesday evening 25th May at 6pm.

Cutthroat bridge car park

evh22
    Free Member

If you were wondering what we’re up to here’s the details from Bike Garage:

Looks like hard work

evh22
    Free Member

And either get in touch with James via his website above or through Peak District MTB

evh22
    Free Member

Update from James:

Got another 150m or so done, shifted some big rocks, drains built, lines blocked, put up signs mark 2 and even did some seeding.

There are some pics up on PDMTB facebook. Watch out for signs up there and get in touch to be a part of it.

mildbore

Good work chaps. I’ve been noticing the gradual progress of your improvements over the last few weeks and wanted to come and help today, prevented by lack of a vehicle. Off to France for a month but will definitely be helping when I get back

evh22
    Free Member

If you drop us a line I’m thinking of setting up an email group and we’ll send you out the dates when we set them. I suspect James will be up there quite a lot this summer.

When its wet it makes a great difference if on your ride you clear out any drains and keep the water running. If everyone did that it would make a huge difference. Lots of drains now on Derwent edge, the road up from Hope to Hope cross, and a few around the bridge at the bottom on the Beast.

evh22
    Free Member

Next trail maintenance evening: Wednesday 8th June at 6pm. More details drop James a line at Bike Garage.

Following on from previous work on this route, we will be continuning further down the bridleway.

We’ll be carrying out maintenance and improvements every other Wednesday from 6pm so please come on up and help us out. We can provide tools. You won’t miss us; just keep a look out for the Peak District MTB flag.

You can read background information on the project here. http://www.bikegarage.co.uk/whinstone-cutthroat-maintenance-project/

thepodge
    Free Member

I was up there the other day, it looks good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Thanks to all involved, its unfortunateky been a few years since I’ve been up there but the work is much appreciated by us Southerners !

evh22
    Free Member

Even if you can’t make the dig days you can help out by sticking to riding the rocky line and avoiding the eroded peak. We’ve dug a lot of drains up there too and if you are passing, please take a second to stop and clear them to keep them flowing.

Pook

[video]http://vimeo.com/169599195[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks again. It always amazes me how much mtb-ers will do to avoid riding through a puddle or a bit of mud – they are supposed fo be off road bikes ! Walking I can understand a bit more as a boot full of water is not such a good idea. Its topical for me as we have ownership of a small stretch of public footpath with has become a boggy mess for much of the year.

thepodge
    Free Member

After my trip up there the other day it seems most people are avoiding the trail all together preferring to ride through the heather & peat two foot to the side of it.

Pook

That’s the trouble. It’s just crushing the heather and widening the trail

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trail maintenance on Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat bridge near Ladybower’ is closed to new replies.