Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trail king sizing?
  • mactheknife

Changing wheel sizes to 650b and i cant get a dhr2 in any compound except 3c which is no good for the rear. Was about to push the button on a trail king 2.2 but i am unsure of their sizes compared to the 2.3 maxxis. If they are skinny ill go for the 2.4.

Any help is appreciated.

timmys

When they were called Rubber Queens (and 26″) they used to be considered very much on the large size, ie. 2.2 = BIG, 2.4 = VERY BIG

With the switch to Septic-friendly name and pixie dust wheel size that might have changed.

Get Black Chili compound.

mactheknife

Cheers timmys, i was sure there was something odd about their sizing but i couldn’t remember what.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Hey Mac, had TK’s front and rear on my Spitty to begin with and was the 2.3, which were fine size wise and the HR2 in 2.35 I’m currently running looks about the same size. Oh and make sure they’re protection ones if planning on running tubeless.

The HR2 is a better tyre on the rear IMO though so maybe a better option for you, mine is a max terra 3C compound and has lasted me since about March, although the knobs are starting to look pretty worn on the sides but then I’ve not had a huge amount of riding this year which is why it’s lasted as long as it has.

jamj1974

Not a direct comparison but I never think my DHF and High Roller seem that big. My 2.4 TK on the other hand looks massive.

jamj1974

Double Post

endurogangster
    Free Member

Yeah the 2.2’s are proper jungle, can’t imagine needing a 2.4! And black chilli all the way!

takisawa2

I swapped the 2.2 Trail Kings on my Five for a pair of 2.3 Minion DHF 3c’s.
    There is hardly any difference.
    Plus, the Trail Kings are a better tyre.
    And I’m £70 lighter of wallet.

Matt_SS_xc

2.4 on girlfriends bike.
    I wouldnt buy a 2.2, 2.4 looks spot on width wise, doesn’t look massive, nice bit bigger than my 26″ 2.2 rq’s.

mactheknife

Cheers all, just what i needed to know. Ultimateweevil we are due a ride sometime

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Yes that would be a good idea, however bikes about to get stripped as I have a warranty issue on the frame/shock 🙁

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

2.4 26″ Rubber Queen used to look humungously ridiculous. 2.4 Trail Kings on my 29 look completely normal.

I’m still running (late release) 26″ RQ’s on my full sus bought after they were supposed to have got smaller and I never noticed any difference to the older ones.

I think it depends where you’re standing.

chiefgrooveguru

2.2 Protection Trail King is very similar in size to a 2.3 DHR2 – I have the latter on the front and the former on the back of my Spitfire. Seem to work very well together!

mactheknife

Ultimateweevil, what’s happened to your spitfire?? Mine has been thrashed this year and is still going strong 🙂 hopefully you will get it sorted soon tho. Saying that if there is any time to have a problem its about now when the cr@p weather is coming.

Chiefgrooveguru, that’s probably going to be my combo as I have dhr2 back and front at the moment and have been very impressed with them, just cant get them in anything but 3c in 650b.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Not when I have the fair city at the end of the month!

Was up doing Loch Muick loop a couple of weeks ago now when shock lost all pressure after doing the Capel Mounth descent (pretty long walk back to the car followed), sent it to TF and turns out the internals were knackered due to the frame being out of alignment, they’ve had a few apparently on Banshees with CCDBA. The shop have also said they’ve had a few back with this issue. So got to send it back to them for a warranty claim, hopefully it’ll get sorted quickly.

mactheknife

Unlucky, when is the fair city endooooro, happy to lend you mine for a day.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

It’s on the 24th but I think I’ll have mine back/replaced by then, if not it’s not the end of the world as I’ll probably head down for the Sunday and do some demo bike rides instead. It’s a nice offer for the bike, but not sure how ‘different’ it’d be from my own if you know what I mean.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trail king sizing?’ is closed to new replies.