Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trail Gator or similar
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Anyone got experience of a trail gator child bike tow thing?

What are they like?

How easy are they to fit/remove?

Are there any alternatives?

wwaswas

if you’re going to use it to move the kids bike for a few miles and then they’ll pootle along under their own steam they’re fine but as a substitute for a trailabike type thing they’re not as good for long distance.

fittign is realtively easy to both bikes but you end up with a chunky brakcet on your seat post and the kid can end up at a fairly odd angle of you don’t adjust the trailgator so that their front wheel is only an inch or two off the ground – which is a bugger off road.

so a qualified ‘they’re ok’ from me.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

apart from trailer bikes are there any alternative?

rig
    Free Member

We used x2 trailgators when our two were young.

They worked well, but some tips:

Tighten them up a tightly as you possibly can, otherwise you’ll find your kids overtaking you at very odd angles.

Don’t forget that they’re behind you – got carried away once & flew down a lovely piece of singletrack. I did hear a scream from way back up the track – a bit odd as there hadn’t been anyone there – anyway, got to the bottom & turned around to see if child had enjoyed &, you guessed it, no child. Woops!!

When turning, remember that you’re ‘a long vehicle’. Mrs rig did a sharp right over a plank & deposited child in the burn. Woops again!

On reflection, it’s surprising that our two still cycle 😯

chrisrhayes

Agree – tighten the bolts tight, and make sure the brackets are straight, otherwise they can be riding along at odd angles.

Otherwise, I think they’re ace, and even the pump track has been negotiated (slowly).

My 2 both use(d) them.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Thumbs up from me here, agree that they’re not really for rough terrain so usually canals/roads and cyclepaths here, which is enough TBH, great resistance training BTW.

higthepig
    Free Member

As above comments, make sure they are tight, used to stop after a couple of miles to re-tighten. I used an old seatpost on my bike as I didn’t want the decent one marked/chewed up. Took a bit to get used too, agree about the length of both bikes, also helps if you have a child that has some sense of balance, my daughter listed by about 20degrees for a few trips which made things challenging!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trail Gator or similar’ is closed to new replies.