Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Trail dogness
  • iDave
    Free Member

First ride with Spud, he was ace apart from sprinting across a road to play with another dog, just as I was about to get the lead on him. Seems to instinctively follow the trail, checks I’m behind, cuts across if he missed a turn. Impressive debut. Apologies to anyone on the Chase accosted by him, he meant well and probably just likes you more than me. Car interior now suitable for arable farming, must get a cage for the boot.

Any advice on enhancing his/doggy behavior on trails? I should add that all his eggs were laid well off trail.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stop him accosting people. Train him properly.

iDave
    Free Member

Do you mean stop him approaching people full stop? Is there a size of exclusion zone you’d recommend? He will be trained ‘properly’ – until that status is attained, woof woof.

andy7t2
    Free Member

is spud a black lab if so i met him this morning lovely pooch

trailmonkey

How far off trail were the eggs laid ? I may be visiting Cannock over Xmas and want to know if there’s a risk of me/doglog interface should I crash.

iDave
    Free Member

Single egg was laid well into scrubland – if you land there after crashing, you’re a 40mph Danny McAskill

he’s a really muddy version of this …..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

iDave – Member

Do you mean stop him approaching people full stop?

Yes. He is not trained properly if he is approaching people. He should be under control at all times and not bothering anyone at all ever.

If you cannot control him properly he should be on a lead. Its very simple and straightforward.

flatfish
    Free Member

Wind your neck in Jeremy and give it a rest. We all know your scared of dogs weeing on your shoes.
    It’s gone beyond tiresome now.

trailmonkey

someone had to say it

Liftman

Take your dog for a walk or go out for a run on your bike dont mix the two together.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

flatfish – I merely want you selfish dog owners to obey the law and keep your dogs under control

I have NO issue with a well trained dog. I have huge issues with selfish dog owners who allow their dogs to run around out of control

I have defended dogs on bike trails – its fine if they are under control withing the law.

I have an absolute right to go about my business unbothered by your dog, your dog has no rights at all.

CheesybeanZ

a small bell on his collar , lets folk know he`s behind them .

flatfish
    Free Member

How about going out for a ride and not being an Internet warrior. The dog was at Cannock chase and not Scotland so it was never going to trouble you.
    You really need to worry about other things.

iDave
    Free Member

Take your dog for a walk or go out for a run on your bike don’t mix the two together.

Why’s that?

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

CheesybeanZ – Member

lolage…

😆

flatfish
    Free Member

flatfish – I merely want you selfish dog owners to obey the law and keep your dogs under control

Are you suggesting my dog is out of control? Have you met me before with my dog?
    I don’t think so. Don’t tar all dogs and owners with the same brush.

mikey3
    Free Member

Jesus what a knob that tj guy is,makes you feel sorry for people who have to have dealings with him in everyday life.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flatfish – internet warrior? You are the the one who leapt into the attack in a rude manner.

If your dog is under control then clearly that doesn’t apply to you. Youa re selfish to alloow your dog to be out of control. You are wrong in law if you allow your dog to be out of control.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member………..

I have NO issue with a well trained dog. ………………..

I have defended dogs on bike trails – its fine if they are under control within the law.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wish sometimes the idiots out on the trails were properly trained, I’m sure some shouldn’t be let out alone

bruneep

For TJ? 😉

backhander
    Free Member

Crikey TJ, you’ve managed to annoy different people on two different threads simultaneously!
    That’s talent, well done. 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

Flatfish – internet warrior? You are the the one who leapt into the attack in a rude manner.

All i asked you to do was change the record, why don’t you stay away from dog threads in future and leave the people who do like dogs alone.
    You’re like a red socked rambler, banging on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why don’t you actually read what I wrote? Try to stop that knee jerking

Do you not think people should be challenged? its nothing to do with my like dislike of dogs, its to do with asking dog owners to behave responsibly. Its not acceptable to allow dogs to accost people as iDave did.

I like seeing dogs having fun on the trails. I want their owners to make sure they are properly trained and under control

I have defended dogs on bike trails – indeed even on this thread.

epicyclo

I agree with TJ on many things, but here I differ. I like being approached by dogs when out and about.

Even apparently aggressive dogs settle down with a few quiet words, and almost all like a pat and a tickle behind the ear.

Dogs are nature’s enthusiasts and I’m never in such a hurry I can’t stop for one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicyclo – thats fine. However many of us don’t – and we have that right not to be approached by them.

flatfish
    Free Member

I like seeing dogs having fun on the trails

Don’t make me laugh, your like scrooge when it comes to dogs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flatish – try to read what I wrote.

Maybe stop that knee jerking, maybe try to think

I have been out with trail dogs and have seen a few. A well trained dog enjoying the trail railing berms and getting air is fun to see.

Its all about the dog being properly trained and under control

iDave
    Free Member

FFS TJ, I used the term ‘accost’ in jest. The dog approached a few riders all of whom made a fuss of him, and also followed a guy down a section of trail before realising it wasn’t me. Oh and then the nice old lady who gave him some of her flapjack.

trailmonkey

c’mon iDave, don’t let reality intervene, this is developing into a swivel eyed classic.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

iDave – well that the trouble with print – nuance does not always come thru –

Apologies to anyone on the Chase accosted by him, he meant well and probably just likes you more than me

sounds like the classic thing a dog owner says when the dog jumps up at you.

brakes
    Free Member

the nice old lady who gave him some of her flapjack.

that was probably TJ 😉

iDave
    Free Member

nuance does not always come thru

so, you may have to apply some interpretation? perhaps considering what someone else may have actually meant and concluding that they weren’t baiting you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I simply took your words at face value.

pitduck
    Free Member

Wind your neck in Jeremy and give it a rest. We all know your scared of dogs weeing on your shoes.
    It’s gone beyond tiresome now. +22 😯

souldrummer
    Free Member

I ws riding today and some bloke had three dogs with him which weren’t on leads and he didn’t feel it necessary to call them to heel or control them in any way as I approached. I stopped for a few minutes while he and the dogs dithered about. As I set off again he said ‘you needn’t have worried, they wouldn’t have gone for you’. My reply was that I couldn’t take that chance with three of them. He really didn’t seem to think there was a problem. I have to say that most dog owners are OK but some seem to have no consideration for any other person; and I don’t mean just cyclist.

Edric64
    Free Member

I’m just off to run my uncontrolled dogs round the woods whilst I cycle they will chase some deer and run twice as far as I go which is the whole point of taking them .Hopefully they will get knackered

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

your dog has no rights at all

What a weird view of the world, basing your interactions with other organisms on a set of subjective ‘rights’. You’ll be telling us next that your ‘rights’ are ordained by some higher being?

nickc

I sort of know what TJ means though, where I walk to work I often encounter dogs and their owners, most of the time it’s a perfectly normal and courteous encounter, but i can really do without dogs jumping up at me and making my trousers dirty, it’s no biggy, just wish it didn’t happen, the vast majority of dog owners who let their dogs behave in this way don’t seem to care either, which makes it all the more exasperating.

I like dogs BTW.

Dogs do have more rights in some cases, they’re allowed on FPs for a start… 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ditchjockey – people keep claiming ( but not on this thread ) that their dogs have rights. They do not. A dog is an animal and has no rights all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Trail dogness’ is closed to new replies.