Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Trail centres, with hire, in North Wales?
  • alishand

Hi folks,

I’m heading to a stag doo in North Wales (exact area tbc) in October, and the stag has just got into mountain biking. So, he now wants to do a bit of biking during the weekend, and it’s been left to me (as the resident mtber of the group) to scope out a suitable place.

I’m looking for a trail centre or network, in North Wales, where a party of say up to 10 guys could hire bikes (some may bring their own).

Only some members of the group have experience biking so ideally a place with some good blue routes with the option for those with more experience to hit some reds / blacks.

Any ideas or recommendations? Happy to consider non-trail centre options as long as there is a hire facility relatively near by.

Cheers all

wrecker
    Free Member

Coed Y brenin? They had a big old hire fleet last time I was there.
    http://www.beicsbrenin.co.uk/bike-hire

jonnym92

Llandegla or Brenin.

franki
    Free Member

CYB.
    Hired a HT for my daughter a couple of weeks ago. All good & loads of riding options.
    Might need to book up a bit in advance for a party as they were pretty busy.

ahwiles
    Free Member

recommendations?

1) the Minotaur trail (it’s blue) at coed-y-brenin is bloody great.

2) let them know well in advance that you’re going.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

LLandegla rent out bikes

alishand

Thanks for the recommendation guys, i’ll scope them out in more detail.

Cheers!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Coed Y Brenin is a good shout. The skills area near the car park is good fun and a good way to get anyone who is not experienced warmed up before heading out on the trails proper. There was a stag party there doing just that when I was there a couple of weeks back (the groom had a lovely pink basket on his FS bike!). You can mix and match the different grades of trail fairly easily too.

dbcooper
    Free Member

CYB have fat bikes on demo too..

alishand

Coed Y Brenin is a good shout. The skills area near the car park is good fun and a good way to get anyone who is not experienced warmed up before heading out on the trails proper. There was a stag party there doing just that when I was there a couple of weeks back (the groom had a lovely pink basket on his FS bike!). You can mix and match the different grades of trail fairly easily too.

Haha! That sounds ideal – especially the pink basket. Might need to add some spokey dokeys and tassles as well; you know, just to complete the look!

toby1

Llandegla; I dragged a group to for my stag, it was a mixed ability group too – so a couple of guys bailed on the route after a bit and went back for a coffee. One guy ended up buying a bike not long after though. As a fun activity it doesn’t get much better.

alishand

Turns out we are staying in Arddleen, so I guess that means both Coed Y Brenin and Llandegla could be a shout – spoilt for choice!

Cheers guys

martinhutch

I’d go Llandegla – the routes are pretty straightforward and the step-up from blues to reds is a bit less in case your novices want to give it a shot.

Northwind

Coedy is great. Though I thought the outer loop of the Minortaur was bloody terrible tbh! (it’s 3 loops, one after the other, the first is great). But it’s also good for accessible trails, if someone wants to dip their toes in harder stuff you can do badger/beginning of the end/etc as a very short loop and get a really good taster.

timidwheeler

Llandegla would be my recommendation for newbys. The blue is much more fun than the blue at CYB. I only really rate the first short loop of the CYB blue. CYB is prettier though. Llandegla has a long first climb, which is quite evil in the wrong weather conditions. Cafe at Llandegla is better than CYB.

gelert
    Free Member

Llandegla’s Blue is easy and a lot of fun when ridden fast but more Red than CYB’s Blue which my wife can do (she can’t do Llandegla’s Blue though). As above the step up from CYB Blue to any of the other Red/Black trails there is huge compared to Llandegla’s step up from Blue to Red to Black (shouldn’t be a Black really IMO).

Llandegla’s hire feet has also just been completely renewed to Orange Crushes with Di2 electronic shift hub gears. I fancy a blast on one of them myself, they look really good.

The cafe is better at Llandegla too. CYB is fine and ok but Llandegla really has a lovely cafe with brilliant cake.

Book in advance for Llandegla too. They run out of hire bikes.

funkrodent

Llandegla has a long first climb, which is quite evil in the wrong weather conditions

This. If its newbies who are otherwise fit, Llandegla is a great shout. As previously said good blue and you can step up onto the reds without too much difficulty.

If they’re unfit then CyB without a doubt. The blue is good fun and there are no horrendous climbs.

Otherwise you may wish to try Penmachno**

**Joke

beicmynydd
    Free Member

You could go over to Antur Stiniog up the road from CYB they have some DH bikes for hire as well as a few XC bikes.
    Day of uplift on the Blue trails would be fun for a group

timidwheeler

^^Don’t do that.

Antur stinog is very hard as trail centres go. Inexperienced riders will really struggle on the blues.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Large stag group of hungover newbies with little experience…that’s pretty much Llandegla’s target audience.
    You’ll love it.

timmys

^^Don’t do that.

Antur stinog is very hard as trail centres go. Inexperienced riders will really struggle on the blues.

Seconded; Stiniog Blue = BPW red = normal trail centre black

scaled
    Free Member

I took my girlfriend who’d never ridden a mountain bike round the red at Llandegla, she didn’t die.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Did you try again on the black or just give up and hit her with a shovel instead?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Trail centres, with hire, in North Wales?’ is closed to new replies.