Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Trail building tool?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Like a Macleod type tool, where are folks buying these from online?. I reckon I could source some 1/4″ plate and make one, but if there is anything else reasonably priced around, I’d rather do that, and keep my time for trail maintenance.

ontor
    Free Member

to be honest you’re better off with a decent axe or pick headed mattock (depending on how hard/tree rooty your area is) and a good nail-tooth rake.

I never use my Mcleod as it’s not as good as the above…

Ambrose

There can only be one!

The Chinese Entrenching Tool, comes with an orchestra to play dramatic music at opportune moments.

(Actually, no orchestra is included, I fibbed about that bit).

Del

those things always look heavy to me. a rake and a 5lb half-mattock do me well for most stuff. wheelbarrow and shovel thrown in as well for the rest. I can see the appeal of an all-in-one, but i think the convenience of that would pale after a while of swinging the fecker about. you can do a lot with a decent, light, rake.

mc
    Free Member

Mattock/Pick for loosening/digging, followed by a Macleod for shaping/fettling is the best option.
    A rake is only any good for fine tuning, whereas a Macleod gives you the ability to move reasonable amounts of dirt while still being able to fine tune and do some ligth digging.

As for where to get them, I’ve made them in the past, along with repaired quite a few, and the key ingredients are a suitable shovel and a nice long thick handle. The handles are the hardest part, as they’re not that common an item, but a decent hardware store or horticultural store should be able to get them (I actually ask my Dad for handles as he knows all the places that stock this more oddball stuff, but I can’t remember where he got the last ones!)

batman11
    Free Member
    mc
    Free Member

Just remembered I took some photos for somebody a while back. This link should show you all of them –
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=73644405@N00&q=macleod

But here’s the key photo-

Macleod by mc_mtb, on Flickr

Northwind

Some of the rogue hoes ones look like they’ll do the job- the handle’s right on the side so not ideal for pounding, but on the other hand you should be able to use them like a azada for digging, or get a straight edged one for mattocky scraping.

Never thought of producing a mowicu macleod?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s one of those northy?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

mc, that’s a great idea, I’ll get to that, cheers!.

Northwind

@nobeer, depends which bit. The mowicu comment was for MC and probably won’t make a lot of sense to anyone else 😉

If it was the azada comment, they’re awesome- not as good as a mattock for breaking hard ground or old trail surfaces but miles better for less stony dirt. I think this is the one I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261661903012?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I’m not a big guy so I burn out quite fast digging with a mattock, these are I suppose less universally useful, but in the right ground I can get far more done- basically cuts twice as much ground, with far less effort, cuts roots better and also can fling dirt out which saves shovelling.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks excellent NW, that and mc’s home made number will be a good start I reckon.

survivor

http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/trenching-hoe-head-only-p2

This with the long long handle is my trail tool of choice. Keep a good edge on it and it’ll blast through roots aswell. Rarely use anything else.

edit: didnt read the link above but obviously plus one for the chillington hoe…

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

round here, the tools aren’t the problem, its finding helpers to use them 🙄

mc
    Free Member

NW, plenty ideas, not enough time for me!
    Still got your mech hanger to do, which I’ll get donen shortly now that I finally have a fresh supply of metal. I think I know what threw out my original drawing, so it just needs a little bit of CAD tweakage to fix, then get it machined.

The trenching hoes are pretty good, provided the soil isn’t too stoney.
    The ideal tools do vary depending on the ground, but what I said above will work in pretty much all conditions short of solid rock.
    Some people do prefer a heavier plate Macleod, but I just find them hardwork, and they’re still pretty rubbish for any kind of real digging, so you’ll still need something to break up the ground.

Lawman, that applies most places. Plenty of people who’ll complain about trails, but will never actually do anything to help maintain/build them.

Northwind

No worries- I broke the original one funnily enough but it took a lot of trying so definite QC pass. Still got a bunch of oe ones to get through

mc
    Free Member

😀
    Have you ever thought about trying to remain on your bike, and not bounce the rear mech of immovable objects?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Why has no one done this yet 😥

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ve got lots of folks say they’re gonna help out with the local trails, we’ll see how many come through. Plan is to get more involved with the trails being devised for the Scottish enduro series at Largs, so I’ll be need some decent tools, and not the usual rabble of cheap stuff I haul about!. I see you have your name down for that NW, I’ll see ye then, or if you fancy a spin beforehand, gimme a shout.

Our soil doesn’t have much in the way of rocks, so the chillington hoe will be spot on.

Thanks gents.

ninfan
    Free Member

Rogue hoes make what seems to be a lovely Macleod

Edged arts, the UK rogue hoes importer, have brought in a load of stuff but haven’t brought any macleods in…

I’ve asked them, but hopefully if more people ask for them he will get some

http://edgedarts.com/field-hoe-rh70f-rogue-hoes-usa-professional-smallholding-allotment

Northwind

I don’t even know where Largs is tbh

Trekster

Grieg.. The photos of mcs McLeod is what the old D&G Stanes crew used, made by one of the guys(Wizzy) The only advice I would give as an “upgrade” is to put a web/gusset top & bottom to strengthen the welds, they had to do this to prolong the life. Also needs a wee bend inwards at either edge if spade used is flat. Got mine made out of industrial boiler steel!!….
    To do the job properly you will need to get a whackered plate, McCleod or other “tampers” don’t do a proper job 💡
    Think that rogue hoe isn’t flat enough to do what a McCleod is intended to do?

mc
    Free Member

Trekster, it’s more than just the D&G area that use them.

If you’re letting volunteers loose with something, I wouldn’t recommend anything with a quality sharp edge!
    I’d have a trenching hoe for myself to use when I knew it was suitable for the job, but there’s no way I’d let anybody else near it.

NW, Largs is on the Ayrshire coast. Think they picked the windiest point on the coast to build it though!

nasher
    Free Member

I have just acquired this for trail clearing/opening duties…its friggin awesome..

and with this attachment… rips through everything..

but for general trail clearing, a mattock, rake and flat shovel for bench cutting is all you need for any type of terrain..

gavstorie
    Free Member

If your buying a rake….. Get a tarmac rake.. They last significantly longer than the standard garden type.

eshershore
    Free Member

@gavstorie

tarmac (macadam) rakes are awesome kit, but you need to be built to use one properly for trail work

I’ve had a couple and was not “light” at the time (I am on the left of the image), but still found them hard work whenever snagging roots as the pegs would grip the root and cause a sudden jam which was uncomfortable to the shoulders

We tended to use regular hand tools as seen below, the best tool I’ve owned is seen fourth from left, the “grave digger” imported from a supplier with US connections:

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Google Get Digging, sells Belotta azadas. Imo very good quality tools available in a range of weights, sizes and some useful variations (the pick azada has been really handy).

Have found Wolfgarten soil rakes to be good. Their click system also means you can use various heads and can make lugging stuff easier.

Silky fox for saws, particularly their root saw.

Long handled,round point shovels 🙂

As others have said, the “right” tool depends on what you’re digging and where.

Have used IMBA supplied McLeods and home made UK ones. If they work for you then great but there’s better alternatives / combinations.

Quality tools are almost always worth the money.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Nobeer, are you building at Largs? Got time/inclination to do other areas? I’ve a few ideas.

philwarren11
    Free Member

12 quid Silverline digging hoe has been awesome for me. Can get them on eBay and Amazon.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dan, we were building up Fairlie moor, where are you thinking?. Tbh, I’ve so much to do up there that I’d struggle to focus elsewhere, but we could do some sharing of work?.

Northwind

philwarren11 – Member

12 quid Silverline digging hoe has been awesome for me. Can get them on eBay and Amazon.

Not bad at all these- I broke the handle on mine, could have put a new handle on it obviously but instead I flipped out and threw it up a tree

st

Ninfan, thanks for the link to Edged Arts. I’ve been in co tact on and off with Rogue direct in the US with the intention of bringing some of their Hoes in and Edged Arts didn’t respond to my enquiries when they were in the process of receiving samples.

Now they’re listing them I’ve just ordered a few for our group to trial.

jecca
    Free Member

Has anyone got a good suggestion for carrying a bunch of tools on the bike? I’m thinking of some sort of strapping or bag and just wondered if anyone has already got a good system.

ninfan
    Free Member

No problems ST

Rogue definitley do the Macleod

We just need to persuade him to bring some in

st

I was just looking at those and whilst they look good the one thing they lack is the flat bottom. One of the big plus points for a proper McLeod is the ability to tamp a fresh trail surface flat (or to you chosen fall).

Our McLeods were made when our group first started 13 years ago and of the original 20 the only losses have been tools which disappeared. We’ve broken one or two teeth but other than replacement handles hey are still going strong.

They were made by a metalworking company who we no longer have the details for. I did try a while ago to get some more made elsewhere but was let down.

I may still look at getting some done and will take a pick and post here later today.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A mate of mine in New Zealand designed and now sells these, just a pit the shipping rates are rather prohibitive, as they look really good.

weapon of mass creation

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

WANT!!! actually, want TWO, one for each hand 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I may have a go at building something similar.

VanHalen

Bookmarked that Chillington website. Some great tools 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Trail building tool?’ is closed to new replies.