Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trail Bike Dilemma
  • orangewinger
    Free Member

With Rutland Cycling’s discounted Yetis I fancy a new frame. I currently have an 18″ Orange ST4 which is a bit small for me and I want something a bit burlier. I ride mostly at Swinley, with occasional trips to trail centres.

I really like the 575 but it would mean I’d need new suspension and wheels, but I fancy something for bigger hits but perhaps this is too much bike for the UK. I think it’s the bike for what I’d like to ride but rarely get the chance (if ever).

The ASR5 has had rave reviews but I wonder if it is a little too much like the ST4. But I could move all my existing kit over, and then upgrade to longer forks later on.

Then there is the ubiquitous Orange 5!

I’d appreciated any thoughts, £1250 is about my limit.

althepal

575 is great, had an ageing 04 enduro and while it was a cracking bike I just fancied something with a wee bit more travel for trail centre drops etc.. Sounds similar to your thoughts at the mo.
    It’s still as good on the climbs as the enduro and just as light but is a lot more reassuring and fun on the downs.
    09 carbon reared one btw.. No probs at all after 18 months of decent use..

wrecker
    Free Member

This looks nice and a remarkable good price for a year old frame;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-turner-spot-2010-frame-in-large-with-custom-angleset-and-other-bits

you’d still have £500 to get some new forks with (that could get you some S/H 2011 Fox Floats)

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re after a large-size 140mm-ish frame – and would consider secondhand – howsabout a 2010 Mondraker Foxy frame and a Fox 32 to go with it for £650?

Light, great geometry and nice suspension action.

Email in profile if interested, sorry for spamming if not!

AndreyE
    Free Member

wrecker,

Thanks for the reference,

orangewinger,

That’s me who’s selling the Turner Spot frame. If you fancy it just throw me a line, I’m not that far from you so having a look at it is a possibility. It’s still built up though I plan to strip it in the near future.

wrecker
    Free Member

orangewinger if you dont buy that Turner and some high end forks, I’ll worry for you. I don’t know andrey BTW but I do know turner 5 spots and £750 is a gift. Practically free actually.

orangewinger
    Free Member

Sorry, that Turner just doesn’t do it for me. I also want to buy brand new.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you considered a single speed 29er?

wrecker
    Free Member

£1250 wont get you a five. If youre gonna spend the extra you may as well get a Transition bandit which would be a nice halfway house.

orangewinger
    Free Member

£1250 was for just the frame, Sunset MTB have 10% off at the mo so I can get a five for exactly £1250.

orangewinger
    Free Member

Ended up ordering the 2012 Five with a great discount, ended up paying £9 for a complete bike rather than getting the frame, forks, wheel and Reverb seat post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trail Bike Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.