Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Trail backpack
  • hainman
    Free Member

Looking for a new bag/hydration bag for 4 hours and upwards and need something that will take a spare later or two plus gloves and the usual munchies tools etc

What is everyone’s choice on 10lt upwards

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Osprey.
    Osprey.
    Osprey.
    Or…….

Osprey.

scotroutes

I’ve just bought a nice Source 20L thing for winter use. TBH, they’re all much of a muchness.

My winter bag includes an insulated jacket and often a flask of hot drink

onlysteel
    Free Member

What the good Captain said…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Wingnut.

Most comfy packs I’ve ever ridden by far (and I’ve owned quite a few).

A Hyper 3 would fulfil your every need.

Failing that, Deuter or Osprey would be my next choice. But I am a massive fan of the pack sitting lower – it just makes sense.

captaindanger

What’s so good about osprey? I’m also looking for one but a bit bigger to go for a weekend of trails riding, 20l or so. Compression straps or similar to keep things from moving is important.

scaredypants

Must it be trail, or might enduro do ?

captaindanger

Also do wingnut still exist? Can’t find anything….

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Osprey. Comfy as a comfy thing .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s so good about osprey?

Great products, brilliant customer service and a truly “good” company. Their approach to outsourcing and supply chain is exemplary.

poey50
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey … very good.

I’ve also got an Evoc Freeride Enduro Blackline with built-in back protector … better.

hainman
    Free Member

i was looking at the Evoc CC 10 or 12 I think plus the osprey too.Merlin are doing the Camelbac mule for just over £40 but not sure how big it is

DickBarton

Assault backpack from Wingnut is here – Assault backpack on Wingnut website

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve had them all and the EVOC10 protection is the best pack by a mile.

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 Evoc

mattkkitch

I’ve just started using Evoc, so far I’ve been well impressed with the comfort and how little you notice it for the amount you can store. I got a 10cc team for big rides and it holds more than enough kit, and a 6cc for shorter rides and racing.

jam-bo

Another vote for evoc,10CC here.

vondally
    Free Member

Wingnut is comfortable if not overfilled anb the quality in batches is iffy.
    Ergon ba is really comfy with the flexi link but heavy and not well laid out
    Osprey pretty much are the best .

jonnyrockymountain

Uswe A4

konanige

Done three rides with Camelbak Skyline, cant believe how much better it feels with weight down on your hips!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes. The owner / mad scientist is back from making solar-power stuff for the US military. Or something: http://www.wingnutgear.com

Saying that, UK dist. RoughRideGuide seems to be down at the moment: http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Wingnut-rucksacks

Great products, brilliant customer service and a truly “good” company. Their approach to outsourcing and supply chain is exemplary.

Would also agree with this. Bought an Osprey for the better half in the ‘states. On filling up the res we realised it had a pinhole in it. Replaced with absolutely zero quibbles by the UK dist. If I were looking for a regular rucksack, Osprey (and Deuter) would be top of my list.

mrhoppy

My big days out pack is an osprey escapist 25, it’s a big pack but the compression straps keep it all in check when it’s not full. Before that I had a raptor 14 which was very good but started to get full once it had a couple of tubes, jacket and food in.

Smaller rides I’m starting to try to carry a bottle and a tool roll to avoid having to cart too much about.

hainman
    Free Member

Had a wee try on the Evoc 10lt CC and it felt good.My mate also has the 16lt but said it was Huge.So might just go with the Evoc,Cheers for all your Input

andybrad

Just got a crossmax to replace my kriega.too new to comment really but the kriega was indestructible tbh and still going strong. Just heavy

benp1

I’m a big Osprey fan, but I picked that Merlin price on Camelbaks is hard to ignore

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I like my dakine Nomad 18l for all day rides its got enough storage a decent bladder and straps to take armour if needed

Dakine Nomad 18L review

somafunk

Always hated riding with a backpack hydration system but new bike and no water mounts led me to buy an Osprey Raven on crc for £49 last month, same as the Osprey raptor 10l men’s version but with a shorter back length which suits me better. Mightily impressed with it, very comfortable so far but I’m still getting to grips with multitude of pockets as I keep loosing stuff inside it.

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^
    I have a Purple Raven and love it. I now have two camelbacks hanging on the wall looking pretty and doing nothing else 🙁

Live and learn I guess

BadlyWiredDog

I thought mine was badly build and sacrificed comfort for lightness, but the basic principles really work. If you want something properly put together that works on a similar principle, check out the Arc’teryx Chilcotin

Got one half-price on Sports Pursuit, brilliant pack. I like Osprey too, but wanted something low slung with big hip-fin pockets you can use on the move.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It was a ludicrously extravagant purchase, but I am very fond of my Acre Supply Hauser.

The tool-roll thing works brilliantly, and it’s a nice light pack.

🙂

jimmy

Ospr….

Alex

I have a CB Volt which is 13ltr. Single internal pocket with another on the outside. Bladder is round the hips. Really comfy but I killed my old one (charge I think) by over-loading it. Osprey Escapist as well – big pack but comfy. I had the big EVOC as well which is really solid has a great wide waist strap and back protector but it is a monster. If I had another, I’d go for the smaller one.

benp1

Not planning on changing, but am interested

What makes the Osprey hydration packs win over the new Camelbak Mules?
    (the new ones are slightly different I think and use the new bladder)

kiwijohn

Dakine Drafter. 12L is the perfect size, solid & well organised.

muzzle
    Free Member

I have an Evoc Enduro 16L with back protector. I went over the bars and landed flat on my back at Whinlatter last year. Obviously I can’t know if I would have been OK with another pack, but I’m glad I was wearing the Evoc.

stewartc
    Free Member

Run an Evoc Enduro 16L for my longer rides and where there is going to be a lot of descending. Cannot fault it, good build quality, carries enough for a good days riding and fits securely.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Dakine bags are worth considering, my Apex is a bit big (mahoosive) but our smaller one is a Drafter (I think) and is brilliant. Both have had years of abuse and are generally treated like crap.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Had a few Evoc bags. Had an old FR Lite, with the crappy back protector in. Took it out after the first ride it was so uncomfortable & never used it again.

Also found the massive neoprene ‘fatty tamer’ waist strap amazingly annoying & uncomfortable. Probably the worst pack I’ve ever used.

CC10 isn’t bad, normal straps are much better, the plastic clips for the roll out helmet carrier are made of some form of soft cheese. They all broke the first time I used it & ended up replacing them with mini metal caribena’s.

All in, not very impressed.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Trail backpack’ is closed to new replies.