Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • Trail Addiction / Enduro2 – bin dun?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@deadkenny would not surprise me in the slightest, French are ultra protectionist and would rather see less tourists than allow an operation they decide doesn’t meet “their” qualifications.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To add insult to injury we also found out the lifts wouldn’t have been open for remainder of the trip and the £1100 airbnb has a 50% + service charge cancellation policy!

Time to get reading the travel insurance docs I reckon

muddybikeruk
    Free Member

I am saddened by this news. I holidayed with TA for probably 10 years solid, and whilst the obligatory use of their disappointing accommodation always bugged me the riding was amazing. Trail 101 in destination X was sublime.
    Gutted for all the guys and anyone that may loose their holiday this year. I was always worried about paying them as they only offered direct bank transfer so no section 74 protection.
    I suspect foul play, I know the French authorities have been trying to bring down Ali for years. I was in Les arcs a few years back when all the UK cars in Vallandry got vandalised including my own. Plenty of locals obviously don’t want us there. Shame, undoubtedly some of the best riding in the Alps, particularly Beaufortain.
    Good luck Ali, maybe try Spanish Pyrenees next?

mahalo

i wonder what it’ll mean for White Room. either they’ll be reaping the rewards with loads of extra business, or folk are gonna wary of paying out for a holiday with a British guiding company in France!? Hopefully the former, and hopefully someone else will step into TA shoes and provide similar in Les Arcs….

scottfitz
    Free Member

To add insult to injury we also found out the lifts wouldn’t have been open for remainder of the trip and the £1100 airbnb has a 50% + service charge cancellation policy!

If your abnb was in borg still go its a great base even without Les Arc lifts, check lift dates at la thile, Plia(amazing place), Tignes, val’d’iere & Beaufort.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Best get booking with the inside line! https://theinsidelinemtb.com/tag/mountain-bike-guiding/

Legal French guiding and Emily is ace.

Sandwich

French are ultra protectionist and would rather see less tourists than allow an operation they decide doesn’t meet “their” qualifications.

It’s a shortsighted approach as French holiday bookings are falling off a cliff. The less adventurous American and Canadian tourists are staying away since Bataclan and Nice.

tjagain

Is this the same company that got into a public spat on here a couple of years ago or was that someone else?

kimbers

Do they charge in Euros?

Did that mean their prices have all gone up 15+% since that vote, or did they take the hit themselves?

Still sounds like an lot of people were willing to pay

hughjayteens
    Free Member

mahalo – Member
    i wonder what it’ll mean for White Room. either they’ll be reaping the rewards with loads of extra business, or folk are gonna wary of paying out for a holiday with a British guiding company in France!? Hopefully the former, and hopefully someone else will step into TA shoes and provide similar in Les Arcs….

Looking at their ‘Meet the Team’ page it looks like their guides all have French qualifications so maybe they just saw this coming.

Tracey

Another vote for Emily if she isn’t already booked up it wont take long.

timbud
    Free Member

This has nothing to do with be able to (or not) legally guide in France.

scottfitz
    Free Member

timbud – Member

This has nothing to do with be able to (or not) legally guide in France.
    So misunderstand their French tax requirement then?

jambalaya
    Free Member

A shout for White Room Chalet, have skied with them twice and they are excellent. I was checking availablity a week ago best decide soon as they will be sold out soon.

@hugh yes Stevo and his team all have French qualifications. As I said I have spoken at length with numerous ski holiday guides and operators and the French are very effective at making qualification as a person who did not grow up in France or those with non-French qualifications very difficult to be approved. Living here and having a French wife with family who own and run small / medium businesses the tax authoities are very aggressive, do full audits much more frequently and more than capable of slapping on a big demand going back a few years. Also as above the “French system” means local officials like Mayor have a lot of influence and IME there can be a lot of dirty tricks like pushing for financial / tax audits. When I first kept my boat in France I was told by my French crew to make sure I infroduced myself to the Mayoir and showed his “some love” to avoid any problems down the road and generally smooth things along

Rubber_Buccaneer

I infroduced myself to the Mayoir and showed his “some love”

This isn’t about sex, Gary, it’s about trust!

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

TA are (were) solvent and had a valid business case (as you would expect after all those years trading), but have been landed with a one off huge debt, that in one swoop liquidates them

They don’t have a valid business case if they were only solvent through not paying their tax bill…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Bunch of four of us been caught by this.
    Were booked on Trans Savoie trip mid July. Only minimal deposits paid anyway (thankfully) but also got sleazyjet flights to GVA booked and paid for. Insurance won’t cover that, so we’ll be looking for other options.
    What can STW mob recommend within range of GVA?
    Whiteroom
    Inside Line
    Any others?

Any contacts for guides ex-TA who might be interested in guiding Trans Savoie route independently?

snaps
    Free Member

Lifts are open here throughout July
    It will be nice & quiet after the Mega finishes

superfli
    Free Member

Thats a fair way from Geneva, over 2 hr drive.

scaled
    Free Member

Well bourg is an hour so…

ChrisL

Ecky-Thump – Member
    What can STW mob recommend within range of GVA?
    Whiteroom
    Inside Line
    Any others?

Bike Village. They operate in the same area as Trail Addiction did and the White Room still do. I’ve been to both Bike Village and the White Room and would recommend both.

timbud
    Free Member

BikeVillage are good guys, but they do seem to spend a lot of time pedalling up roads when the lifts are so plentiful

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Wow, I nearly booked with TA for a week this summer.

I’ll have to speak to WhiteRoom instead!

bigwill
    Free Member

If you want a full weeks holiday white rooms as stated are excellent, if you want guiding for a couple of days worth having a look at Enduro Camp you can find them on Facebook or give them a call on +33 6 16 38 07 17, they are based out of tignes but will pick up and shuttle from most places in the valley, they are Fench guides so their marketing/ website is terrible to no existent, but they know there way round the trails as all are local and are a pretty good bunch of lads, expect a few of there mates to tag along on the ride, as well as qualified mountain bike bike guides they are all winter ski instructors So expect a bit of that going on as well, “bend zee knees” but they do buy you a beer at the end of the day.

Northwind

There seems to be a fair amount of conspiracy theory thinking going on here, I don’t really understand why people are mingling it with the whole guiding legality/equivalance issues tbh, it seems very… nonobvious.

I don’t know if TA’s guides were all qualified but if they weren’t, more fool them… I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt tbh. Sam at Bikevillage has been taking this on head on with the equivalance, White Room have been legit for years. And at least some of TA’s guides are- Yvan Bonin (ex white room) was guiding with them last year, he not only had his tickets but also he’s the frenchest man that’s ever lived. (I love that man, I’ve no real affection for TA but I hope he rides it out)

Guide companies are small businesses , the explanation of a genuine financial shock (for whatever reason) seems more obvious than the alternatives… Financial impropriety, financial errors, normal business stresses, whatever.

timbud
    Free Member

All of tA’s guides were french qualified last year

cardo

@timbud so what happened ?… we are pretty out of pocket due to this and really want to know if we stand a chance of getting a refund.. we were booked on the TS tour.

cardo

double post … sorry

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Cardo – my group of three were booked on the TS Tour which is considered to be a package holiday and therefore should be covered by the ABTOT Bond. One of us called today and it sounded pretty positive in terms of a refund from them.

Compared with what the Bond companies have to deal with when an massive tower operator goes under, this is very small fry so I don’t see why the deposits shouldn’t be protected.

Give ABTOT a call tomorrow as advised on the TA website.

cardo

Thanks hughjayteens… dont know about you but I was proper looking forward to this too.

timbud
    Free Member

Yeah get on to ABTOT and give the administrators to bell too

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

This is a real shame. I have nothing but respect for the business that Ash and Alistair built out there.

This comment irks me somewhat

They don’t have a valid business case if they were only solvent through not paying their tax bill…

If you know anyone that runs a business in France, you will know that NO-ONE knows the correct way to pay tax in France if you are business operator, not even tax accountants. This is why a huge amount of business in France is done off the books. It sounds like they have been caught out by something along these lines. There really IS no word for Entrepreneur in French sadly.

I really hope that the true reason is published and that those involved can re-establish themselves.

timbud
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – hole in one sir!

ash

Hi mrmichaelwright , been a while ! 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

MrMichaelWright he lives ! The TA holiday in Dest-X was excellent and as you say French tax law is opaque to say the least. I know two French people who just gave up trying to run their own business due to the impenetrable nature of it all and just got a normal job.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – I have to agree with you there 😉

I was surprised to get a letter from Begbies Traynor in today’s post. Didn’t expect anything so soon, especially in writing.

It only repeats what’s on TA’s website, so doesn’t tell me more about Davos, which is now a worry for me and various friends booked [paid] on that event.

As per the current guidance, no refunds can yet be issued as there’s still a possibility the event can somehow go ahead. But I’m really doubtful. I was really looking forward to it though 🙂

Like some others here, my flights/accommodation is paid for, so I could still just fly out and bike/camp rough for 3 days at very little extra cost. You never know, maybe there will be a group of us that end up doing this and it could be fun…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Hey Ash, certainly has. I ride mountain bikes again now! Trail addiction was on the cards for the next couple of years as now I live in Scotland I’m out on the bike 2-3 times a week and my mojo has returned with a bang.

Hi Andy, indeed i do live on!

mrlugz
    Free Member

I also got a letter yesterday, along with an email and a pdf copy of the letter!

MrsLugz has being doing some digging, and according to some success stories on Money Saving Expert, there may be a way to claim back any additional expenses incurred, such as flights and accomodation.

Not sure what we are going to do yet, been with Whiteroom for the last 3 years and had an awesome time, but we’re proper tight for cash this year…

br
    Free Member

Unfortunately didn’t pay on cc[/I]

More fool you.

FWIW went with TA nearly 10 years ago to Les Arcs so would imagine that their tax affairs are reasonably straight as no way would they have been operating for so long – did something change?

If memory serves me well it was an English chap who worked as a Swiss train driver (for 6 months a year) that ran it.

edit Ash, just seen his name, lovely bloke 🙂

Wookster

Such a shame to see the business close.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Trail Addiction / Enduro2 – bin dun?’ is closed to new replies.