Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tragic loss of a young cyclist..
  • sharki
    Free Member

Just got news that one of the two young girls that were run over by a car in Somerset earlier today has passed away.

Aged 14

Yes it happens far to often and yes there’s many tragic deaths in the world.
    But to have it happen so close to me and to hear to story unfold from friends of mine who know the kid and her family. Well it brings back home to me the mortality of us all.

Stay safe and be safe.

MarkyG82

Stay safe and be safe.

+1

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, look out for each other, people.

Clink

s*** – that’s awful. I’m in Somerset – what happened?

judderman
    Free Member

1 of my daughters is that age……

sincere condoleces to her family

charliedontsurf

Assuming it’s a cycle related tragedy. Consider a ghost bike. Otherwise beyond family and friends it’s gone, over, forgotten by most within a few days… And nothing changes.

There ia ghost bike for our friend Rob and people slow down. It’s talked about locally a lot and makes people consider things.

nicky
    Free Member

Yeah bad accident down here in Dorset. A man was killed by a young motorist-18years old. The man not too old left behind a wife and young daughter. Also in the same week two others were knocked off one with a broken arm and the other air lifted to hospital, luckily he is ok.
    The guy that was killed was knocked off on the dual carriage way. Not as if there isn’t enough room and it was early morning so road was quite. Very sad, he was very well liked, apparently 500 at the funeral.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

*I’m going to get political here, sorry.*

Maybe our society should finally think about providing facilities to split cyclists off from the 1 tonne+ hunks of metal that speed around?
    Maybe we could follow the lovely model set out by the Danes and the Dutch, the model that measurably improves road safety and creates nicer cities?
    Maybe we could force people not to be so blasé about their driving, by introducing tougher penalties for motorists who break the law?
    👿
    *Sorry I got political*

Sharki, sorry to hear about your friends’ loss.

charliedontsurf

Half baked idea:
    Other than some government department who record stats rather than daughters, fathers and friends… No one captures these tradegies for posterity.

I can feel a new website coming on.
    Gonna ponder on it now.

Nicky: few errors On Dorset fatality (but not a big deal): evening, wide single carriageway, Sill loads of room. 200 at funeral including lots of Lycra and road cleats. Loads of big chaps crying Inc myself… Rob Jefferies friend and mechanic (track cyclist, British cycling commissionaire. Farther, husband, Frank Zappa & funkadelic fan, poll tax rioter etc)

sharki
    Free Member

These young girls chose to ride (illegally :?) on the pavement for their own safety away from the dangerous traffic.
    It was in a heavily built up area at around 8pm last night, so 30mph zone.

However one driver decided that he’d drive with too much alcohol in his system to do so. He mounted the kerb at a estimated 80mph(not confirmed) and hit the girls from their assumed safe riding location.

Let this not be a rant against DD in particular, but let it be a reminder how we all have a responsibility to each other whilst going about our rushed and hectic lives.

A ghost bike is a great idea, however in this case as she wasn’t on the road it seems a little inappropriate to the incident.

charliedontsurf

I believe there are no accidents beyond avalanches and earthquakes etc. Someone somewhere has done something wrong, it’s not an “accident” if you are drunk, not paying attention, misjudge a corner etc. It’s a misjudgment not an accident. If I reverse into a bollard, excusing it as an accident is BS, I was cutting a corner and not paying attention.

And in this case someone chose to DD.

Damned awful situation.

mckeown
    Free Member

Thoughts are with the deceased and their loved ones. R.I.P.

qwerty
    Free Member

children should NEVER die before their parents

tragic news

lowey

Horrific. My eldest is 14. The poor poor family.

Clong
    Free Member

On a similar vein, there was another cycling fatality in Hants/W.Sussex yesterday, involving a man from the wifes work. No idea of the details, but believe someone has been arrested for death by dangerous driving.

DezB
    Free Member

I can feel a new website coming on.
    Gonna ponder on it now.

Sounds like a great idea Charlie – have you seen the one (posted on here a month or so ago) listing professional cyclists who died/were killed or injured whilst riding – the number of deaths involving vehicles is astounding.

chappie916

I like the web site idea, not sure about the purpose though. Sat reading this with a tear in my eye and thinking about how I’d feel if this was my kids.

What about 38 Degrees and getting some momentum around proper punishment for this kind of “accident”, as said above it’s no accident the driver decided to drink and drive.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/

My thoughts go out to the family.

nicky
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger.
    Sorry got it wrong, information passed on to me on Sunday. I know he was a founder member of the club I use and was involved in the Wareham Forest event.
    It is very sad when this kind of things happens and devasting for friends and his family.
    Drivers don’t give enough space by far. I am glad I only do off road I can’t cope with the traffic it frightens me too much.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tragic loss of a young cyclist..’ is closed to new replies.