Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Traffic lights on cycle routes – legal status?
  • tjagain

Several of the cycle routes I use have had traffic lights like pedestrian crossings put on them where they cross roads. It’s always quicker to pick a gap in the traffic and cross rather than wait for the lights and also not triggering the lights delays traffic less

This is where a specific segregated cycle route crosses a road and there is not a road junction at the same place

Are these mandatory like road junctions or not? By not waiting for the lights am I commiting an offense? Anyone know?

spooky_b329

Red cycle on a traffic light head with a STOP line, or a red cycle above the push button?

Cougar

I don’t know the answer, but:

Traffic lights are mandatory for vehicles and advisory for pedestrians. As a cyclist is a “vehicle” for most practical purposes (eg, have to be on the road not the footpath), logic would suggest that they are indeed mandatory.

If it were me I’d probably dismount, shove my bike across the road and then hop back on at the other side. All bases covered then. Legality aside this seems sensible to me, it avoids drivers seeing cyclists as red light jumpers and reinforcing any prejudices they may have.

tjagain

They are like pedestrian crossings but instead of just having red and green mem have bikes as well. Push button control

tjagain

The bikes are not on a road. Specific segregated cycle route

donald
    Free Member
    fourbanger
    Free Member

If it were me I’d probably dismount, shove my bike across the road and then hop back on at the other side. All bases covered then. Legality aside this seems sensible to me, it avoids drivers seeing cyclists as red light jumpers and reinforcing any prejudices they may have.

Absolutely nothing logical about that.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s one near me exactly as you describe. I do as you do. If its obviously clear I ride over. No harm, no delay for anyone. If its busy press the button. This seems very sensible to me. Not sure about the letter of the law but certainly conforms to the spirit of it

tjagain

Thanks very much Donald – thats exactly what I wanted to know

Middle meadow walk was one and that is mandatory

this is another one https://goo.gl/maps/EwniYskmsx82 – where the Water of leith path crosses gorgie road. IIRC the two sides are separate crossings so to gt over using the lightsmeans waiting twice – once at the side and once at the centre island and can take several minutes to do so. Can’t get the tandem thru the chicaine well either but I guess thats my problem

bails

Sounds like a toucan crossing. Not mandatory, you can cross when you like, just like if you were on foot.

scotroutes

When the road’s busy, press the button and wait for a gap. When it’s quiet just ride across without pressing the button. If you press the button and it’s not been signed to cross for a while, it stops the traffic within seconds.

This seems so obvious (I used that crossing regularly) that I’m surprised it needs discussion. I’m possibly missing some nuance.

donald
    Free Member

You’re welcome TJ. Can’t say I understand it all though.

jekkyl

when on a bike I treat all traffic lights with the same disregard. unless there’s a copper directly behind me obvs.

tjagain

Scotroutes – I want to know if just scooting over when the road was clear and not waiting for the lights was illegal. I do what you did at that junction but I wondered if those lights were mandatory or advisory

mattyfez

Are we talking cycle routes next to roads? Just ride on the road then.

tjagain

No
    Segregated cycle route crossing roads

mattyfez

I can’t help but think the situation is being over engineered to the benefit of no one.

mattyfez

Can we have a photo?

scotroutes
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Traffic lights on cycle routes – legal status?’ is closed to new replies.