Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Toys that you wanted but didn’t get
  • Harry_the_Spider

When I was a nipper I had many fabulous toys including a train set that I didn’t appreciate. I eventually sold it and bought my first “grown up” bike with the proceeds.

The thing I craved the most though was a Scalextric, an itch that I didn’t scratch until I was in my 40s and now me and my kids have way too much. The Tamiya thread has got me wanting an RC car but I suspect I’d get more out of building it than using it.

The other thing that I want is one of these…

but looking at the going price I’d have to sell a bike to afford it.

tang
    Free Member

Millennium falcon.

martinhutch

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=1XAiraoCheQ[/video]

Probably a later, better version in around 76 or 77.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

loddrik
    Free Member

martinhutch

Got my lad a Bigtrak a few years back. He was bored with it inside half an hour. 🙁

onandon
    Free Member

I always wanted a big track in my youth. Finally, at the age of 37 I purchased one and it was total shite 🙁
    So disappointed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cougar

I still have my Big Trak. It’s in the cupboard next to a bunch of Grandstand video games.

Edric64
    Free Member

A skateboard

RoterStern
    Free Member

I can remember being taken through Hamleys as a child by my mother and seeing a toy car that you could drive which had a real petrol driven motor. I’d never wanted anything more in all my short life. It was a steal at around a thousand pounds which was almost the price of a new car at the time!

MrSmith
    Free Member

A rubber band aeroplane called ‘Wasp’ can’t find a pic
    And proper space Lego

mogrim

I used to love Action Man, but I don’t remember that command centre! (And looking at the accessories it looks like my era, not the modern stuff…)

I also wanted a Bigtrak. Glad to hear it was crap 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

CaptJon
    Free Member

I got a Millennium Falcon, but never got this:

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mogrim, glad I never got it now, it looks shit! Can remeber wearing out the page in the catalogue (which dates it for you) by staring. Was better off with a shoe box.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I always really wanted Scalextric too……I got this instead…

Turned out to be a massive result. Was loads better. Cars that could u-turn and jump over ramps.

The cars were Matchbox sized so for extra entertainment value we used to get one of the cat’s furry catnip filled toy mice, skin it and put the skin over the cars so the cat would chase it. The look on the cats face when it touched the electrified track was priceless.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i wanted more or less every new toy that Jason Warne got (BMXes, video games, TCR racing sets etc etc), but i had (have) a younger brother and he had no siblings so i think that with hindsight, i won tbh…

Rockplough
    Free Member

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

X-Wing

davosaurusrex

What I really wanted was a Raleigh UltraBurner. My mum saved up 20 pences in a jar for ages to get me a BMX, unfortunately I was always was an impatient little bugger and as soon as it got to £80 I insisted she buy me the cheapest BMX available from the local shop (think the UltraBurner was £120). Mag wheel cracked on the first jump on my first visit to Shoreham BMX track and there endeth my BMX career.

jools182
    Free Member

I also wanted one of these:

but ended up with one of these:

😐

fasthaggis

🙁

Although I did get to borrow my mates one 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had a few MASK toys , but wanted so many more, especially this one

Post Star Wars phase and pre not-really-giving-a-toss-about-toys phase

eltonerino
    Free Member

Rorschach, I was lucky enough to have that and this

One of them was even better than you thought it could be, and played with every day. The other one was megatron… Too big for my 6 year old hands, didn’t stay in the gun shape very well, didn’t transform very well and the robo shape kind of sucked too.

Smudger666

i begged and begged for this for almost a year and finally got it – i recall an entire summer playing with it, and to this day, I’m convinced I could make a good sh0ow of landing on a carrier deck……skip to 1.45 to avoid the most boring man ever….

[video]https://youtu.be/BqvHATKNKf0[/video]

nemesis
    Free Member

+1 on the Millennium Falcon

And also the Death Star that no one actually had or had ever seen but apparently it existed 🙂

jimdubleyou

Wanted

Seemingly I was a bit greedy as I only got

verses

Still disappointed now, 30 years later…

jimdubleyou

@verses – lad down the road had one of those. It was awesome.

verses
    nemesis
    Free Member

@verses – I had that – it was cool and I had the motor set up so it would actually drive around.

razorrazoo

Ah, those days when the Argos catalogue was a well thumbed guide to the unobtainable!

I remember one summer coveting this as my Christmas present.

Then slowly changing my mind to this;

Before a last minute change of mind to this;

djglover
    Free Member

I had a big track with a tipping trailer! It was crap.

I longed for one of these and was never allowed one

davieg
    Free Member

Pleased to hear that the Big Trak was shite. And the reissued versions too as I came close to buying one a few years ago.

I always wanted a Commodore 64 so I could play Ghostbusters, but instead I got an Acorn Electron 🙁

Ungrateful child I was.

lemonysam
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

verses – I still have that!

I had (and still have) loads of Scalextric, Lego and matchbox/ burago/ lledo cars but I always wanted what my mates had:
    – Bigtrak
    – Screwball Scramble
    – He-man toys
    – Transformers
    – Micro Machines (come in collections of 5)

but most of all:
    M.A.S.K

brakes
    Free Member

haha – snap lemonysam

razorrazoo

On the RC front I always coveted one of these.

Ended up with one of these (not so bad I suppose)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Toys that you wanted but didn’t get’ is closed to new replies.