• This topic has 84 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bol.
Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Toyota in epic media FAIL this morning
  • chopperT
    Free Member

It seems to me strange that a manufacturer of a 2ton steel lump capable of 150mph doesnt include an E-stop button (ie:a key) of some kind. Goodness knows any other machine would.
    Indicative perhaps of the complacency with which we regard the car, in our perception it is simply a high speed lounge suite, we dont see it as a complex and potentially dangerous piece of machinery.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

GM and the 'merkins are going to exploit this to the max. Toyota, set out with an ambitious target 10 years ago to be number 1 car mfg in the world. By using TPS and building up a reputation for quality and reliability, they were one of the few car manufacturers in the past couple years that were actually cash rich. All of the big 3 in the US are in serious financial trouble and they will use this to try and discredit Toyota and it's TPS. The Wall Street Journal had a feature the other day blaming 'Lean' for trying to squeeze manufacturing to the point where corners may be cut.
    It will be interesting how this pans out to both the Automotive industry and manufacturing as a whole. As Lean manufacturing is the hot management 'new kid on the block'

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Don't worry yourself, just accept that some people want to drive that way, it doesnt mean you're driving like an idiot if you do

I'm not worried, just curious. I never drive if I can help it, maybe once every 2 years or so…

takisawa2

in our perception it is simply a high speed lounge suite, we dont see it as a complex and potentially dangerous piece of machinery.

Spot on comment that. Absolutely right. Certainly applies to the idiot in the Audi Q7 behemoth that tear arses into the nursery car park every morning/night when there's pre-school kids being collected.

We're more than happy with our Verso, it's the nicest car we've owned, certainly better than the offerings from Ford/GM we tried before buying.

IMO recalling so many cars is Toyotas way of attempting to completely address the problem, rather than coming out with a load of excuses & burying its corporate head in the sand. (Renault Clio bonnet catches…Volvo XC90's catching fire…Ford Focus's cutting out for no reason…someone mentioned there have been 20 Toyota cars with stuck pedals in the UK, how many weeks running were Renault on Watchdog ?).
    Sorry for bucking the trend here, pitchfork me at will. 🙂

bol

I sensed some kind of media glee to see Toyota in a mess. Obviously thought that they were getting a bit too smug making their reliable economical cars and needed to be taken down a peg or two.

I've got one of the Priuses (prii?) effected by this. Noticed it the other day when I did an emergency stop on the ice when a woman coming the other way fell off her bike. (when I eventually stopped I fell on my bum getting out of the car and looked a right bell end). Anyway, yes, it was a bit disconcerting not being able to stop as quickly as I expected to, but frankly I wouldn't have given it another thought if this recall hadn't occurred. I've driven a hell of a lot more dangerous cars over the years. I've also heal and toed in a few of them, but I'd be surprised if anyone ever bothered to try that in a Prius. If you've ever driven one you'll know what I mean.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Toyota in epic media FAIL this morning’ is closed to new replies.