Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Town bike dilemma
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not immediate, but I suspect that my beloved old ’80s shopper is soon to give up the ghost over the next 6 months or so. As such, it’s time to start thinking about a new town bike.
    The requirements;
    Comfy, reliable, full length mudguards, luggage capacity, simplicity, security.

At the moment, I am pondering the following;

Pashley Roadster Sovereign – British built, lovely to look at, super comfy to ride. Security may be an issue, not so much at home or work, but for those nipping around town moments. Are Pashleys desirable these days?

Brompton – As above, just not as good to ride, but security is less of an issue.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Retrodirect
    Free Member

those pasleys are horrendously heavy

catfood
    Free Member

Pashleys are lovely I have one. Desirable? Well I think so. As for weight, well town is flat so it doesnt really matter. Stick a saddle bag on it and carry a good lock and a cable so they dont nick your Brooks, perfect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you fancy something retro get a Dutch or Indian bike.

Gary_C

I read the title & thought that the thread was about something else…..

8)

druidh
    Free Member

I’m thinking of something like a Cube Hooper. Meets all of your criteria, is matt black so it doesn’t attract the neds and as an Alfine hub for winter longevity.

BigDummy
    Free Member

DoubleDutch rather swish but not retro.

Kronan are cool. Not a fully enclosed chaincase though.

jimbobm
    Free Member

cannondale badboy or hooligan anyday!

rs
    Free Member

I read the title & thought that the thread was about something else…..

me too! this thread does not deliver!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Moulton?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Reluctant
    Free Member

Pashleys and Brommys are too expensive to lock up around town – where I live anyway!A town bike in my view, should be able to be left around without fear – should look terrible but ride like a dream.
    I’ve always adapted old MTBs to suit my needs but if I were to buy new, think I’d look at Kona’s AfricaBike, WorldBike or maybe the Ute as a full on load carrier.

MrSmith
    Free Member

fixie

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I picked up a Carrea subway with an alfine hub and hydraulic discs for £350 at halfrauds, it’d be the ideal bike around town. (it wouldn’t be bad off road with a pair of suspension forks either).

It’ll probably be up for sale when my ride to work scheme expires 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry if the title was misleading… 😉

Subway sounds worth a look, thanks. Definitely not a fixie or a Cannondale, as I’m not Nathan Barley, thanks though.

Security not too much of an issue, as I am very picky about where I lock up. Oh, and I don’t really tend to go anywhere less than desirable!

Kona AfricaBike is a good idea, thanks.

catfood
    Free Member

Go on get the Pashley, you know you want it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Pashley, end of (unless you can get a Raleigh Esquire).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any old reynolds tubed tourer from yester year……….

Mine will take 100ltrs of panniers and still have space on the top of the rack for big stuff, or bar bag for valuables, I moved house on the thing!

SKS chromoplastics keep the water and mud on the road

CX tyres fit if needs must.

And if you strip all that off its not far behind the road bike for speed.

It’ll be getting the 9spd transmission and wheels off the racer when the summer comes and I stick 10s on that.

miketually
    Free Member

Pashley.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CFH you missed out “overpriced and niche” in the heading.

Definitely not a fixie or a Cannondale, as I’m not Nathan Barley

Certainly not:

I’d give you my recommendations if you wouldn’t discount them on some spurious basis as above!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Erm, right, thanks cynical. I think.

Cannondale – Not especially comfy, not particularly simple and not exactly ideal to leave locked up around town (Still popular with da bike feefs, innit)
    Fixe – Please see above re mudguards, luggage capacity and comfort.

I’m definitely erring towards the Pashley now, I have to say, if only because at lunchtime a girl rode past on one and dinged her bell. What a superb noise!

nickf
    Free Member

Anything but a Pashley. Remember that thread from a few months back about the woman with the Pashley which she’d named ‘The Princess’.

Read her blog and shudder at the sheer smuggidity* of it, then think how much of a muppet people will think you are should you be riding one. With a big Doctor Who-type scarf, a nice pair of brogues, and some lovely moleskin trousers, naturally.

*I don’t care what you say, I think it’s a real word.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a nice pair of brogues, and some lovely moleskin trousers, naturally.

😳

bassspine
    Free Member

get a nice old steel-framed marin larkspur for about 5p. It’ll be lovely but look shite. Practical, comfortable and looks unstealable. It’ll be our secret.

bassspine
    Free Member

how many moles does it take to make a pair of trousers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seriously: What he said re. Pashley. Buy an old 80’s 531 frameset, get it resprayed and build it up with solid but reliable gear – hell, fit disc brakes if you want (I would), nice wheels and F+R racks.

Bingo, way better bike for half the cash.

Or get any of the numerous town bikes that aboud shops these days.

nickf
    Free Member

Or an Inbred (the tattier the better) – it’s got rack mounts, you can put one together for £4.73 and a bit of elbow grease (reduced greasing required if you run it as a singlespeed, obviously)

nickf
    Free Member

how many moles does it take to make a pair of trousers?

The same number as takes to fill a cauldron with penguins, obviously.

Don’t you know anything?

gordimhor

got an old dawes discovery 201 on here its comfortable,got a rack for shopping,quick enough and looks absolutely anonymous so ideal town bike

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Town bike dilemma’ is closed to new replies.