Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • towing caravan – size + mpg
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Would there be much difference in mpg between towing a 1000kg caravan and one say 250kg heavier?

I’m guessing most of the loss of mpg is through the increased wind resistance.

Abandoned the idea of using the berlingo to tow (as in my previous caravan thread) and now looking at using the A3 which has a bigger engine and a higher gross train weight.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

At a guess, no (or very little) difference. Unless your going uphill all the time!

Your pulling a big box, wind is not your friend 😉

lodious
    Free Member

IME, your correct, its the wind resistance, not the weight which has the biggest impact.The difference in economy between towing at 50 and 60mph is large, so that makes me think it’s not the weight.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m guessing most of the loss of mpg is through the increased wind resistance.

Agreed. Your MPG varies loads depending on wind conditions.. and I swapped one van for another of same weight but a slightly different shaped rear and gained 10% mpg.

However – that’s on motorways. On hilly country roads it’s worse with all the braking and accelerating, so I reckon the van weight makes more difference there.

Trekster

Quite simple really. If you are concerned about mpg then caravanning may not be for you 💡

I had a VW Touran when we got our first small ‘van then bought a muckle 6 berth to accommodate the family who suddenly fancied school holidays 🙄 The Touran was more than capable power wise but was just a tad light when it came to the on-road towing bit. Could easily get 40+ taking it easy.
    Swapped the Touran for a Sorrento knowing consumption would be poorer but driving would be safer when fully loaded with family(7 seater). MrsT now wants to get another one 🙄

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘towing caravan – size + mpg’ is closed to new replies.