Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Towbar racks – anyone have a Mottez 2 bike folding one?
  • Aidy
    Free Member

This one: http://www.wilstow-trailers.co.uk/mottez-a019p2-folding-2-bike-towbar-mounted-carrier-669-p.asp

I like the look of it, but I can’t seem to find a review of one. Wondering if anyone had anything to share of them?

Aidy
    Free Member

Or if anyone has any alternatives, what I like about that one is:

* Reasonably compact – looks like I could happily store it in the boot without it taking up the entirety of the space.
    * Strap on bikes, no clamps – so should be compatible with all bikes (some of my bikes have odd tube profiles).
    * Simple mounting system – at least, on the face of it. I don’t really want to have to bolt things together every time.

eskay

I have the four bike version of that and I am pretty happy with it.

It is hard to find four bike tow bar racks that are reasonably priced.

The bikes are secure when fitted and they supply plenty of extra straps.

One thing to be aware of is the minimum distance from the ball to your rear bumper, from memory it has to be 50mm (check, don’t take my word for it!). Mine was just under the minium measurement and it fits but there is only about 10mm clearance back to my bumper.

It took a while to set it up the first time but after that it can be fitted quite quickly. It has a clamp type mechanism that secures it to the ball and then a ‘U’ clamp that secures it to the neck of the tow hitch (secured with two nuts).

My only observation is that there is a little bit of side to side play which allows you to rack the rock slightly, not sure if that is that same on all racks of this format??

I can open my boot lid with it attached but it will also tilt (never done it though).

Aidy
    Free Member

Cheers – the 4 bike non-folding one? http://www.wilstow-trailers.co.uk/mottez-a018p4ra-tilting-4-bike-towbar-mounted-carrier-668-p.asp

This one doesn’t tilt either, which is sort of the only extra thing I’d like (but I think I can live without it).

Good to know the build quality is decent anyway (thank you!) – and I’d have thought that a certain amount of side to side play would be desirable, the rack should absorb shocks, not the bikes, or the car.

eskay

Yes, that is the one. We bought it from Tesco direct from memory, not sure how the price compares.

Aidy
    Free Member

Quick bump for the evening crowd.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Towbar racks – anyone have a Mottez 2 bike folding one?’ is closed to new replies.