Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Towbar Rack Query- Particularly Aiston or Altera owners
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m getting a new towbar rack. Need something that folds down fairly compact for storage as don’t have much of it at home. I can’t afford a Thule 931 or Altera Strada Vario, sadly. How small is the Aiston rack when not in use? Looks great otherwise and good price, also can’t find folded images of any of the various Altera racks other than the Strada Vario. Any others that are compact when not in use?

steveh

My aiston is a few years old but i doubt they’ve changed much. They take up a small amount of room if you remove the uprights – this is one bolt or you could use a handwheel in place of the bolt to make it easier. With the uprights in place they do take up some room.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve got an Atera (DL3 I think it is). Folds up smallish – I can’t imagine how a rack could get much smaller folded up. Easily go under a bed.

That aside, its absolutely brilliant. I’ve always used Thule stuff but was recommended the Atera and thought I’d give it a go. Its great.

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Buzz racks which folds down quite small and is a fraction of the cost of a Thule or Atera
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_bb4_4_bike_wheel_support_rack_no_brp304/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5HXEB

Fat-boy-fat

Another Atera Strada DL3 user here. One of the reasons I bought it (on my second one now) is that it is so light and folds up so small. The only thing I’d say is that the clamping mechanism is a bit meh. My previous one got worn over the years (5) and then just gave up the ghost. The new one is supposed to have a better clamp but seems to be pretty much the same but with the addition of a wee pop up to say when you’ve clamped it enough (which doesn’t work btw).

steveh

I should probably have also mentioned that I’ve had a few types of towbar rack over the years including thule and having had an aiston now wouldn’t use anything else!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I should probably have also mentioned that I’ve had a few types of towbar rack over the years including thule and having had an aiston now wouldn’t use anything else!

+1, they’re a seriously tough bit of kit when you compare them to something like thule. I can happily stand on the end of my aiston, the towbar swan neck bit bends quite a bit more than the rack!

It doesn’t fold up like other racks, but as Steve said the only bits that stick out are the uprights which come off easily. That’d be my only criticism of it, I leave a socket and driver in the car for dismantling it, but I’d rather that that the flimsy platic fittings on other racks, and it’s not really any slower than even the quick release racks (nipping up 4 bolts to get from flat pack to bikes secured).

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Thanks. They do sound like really nice bits of kits and the price is really appealing but the size may be a dealbreaker, the only conceivable way of storing it would likely be to leave it outside based on how it folds down. Some of the newer Thule or Altera models could probably go small enough to fit in the corner of my wee bike shed.

Also, I assume they don’t tilt in any way to get stuff out the boot?

wheelie

My Aiston arrived to me as a relatively small package. They go together very quickly too. Worth marking the wheel holders to the exact position that you arrive at when you first us it.

If i want to get to the back of my c5 estate it takes seconds to get the inner bike off. 18mm spanner does it all. Tea leaves don’t tend to carry 18mm spanners!

FOG

Are the wheel loops big enough to take 2.25/2.4 tyres without deflating them? And how does the Aiston actually attach to the tow bar? The pictures on the website aren’t very clear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You bolt a plate behind the towbar which has a bit of vertical box section to one side, the rack is made of slightly smaller box section and just drops into it. There’s 2 bolts on the towbar part that just nip up to hold it in.

They fit fairly big tyres, I’ve got some 2.3″s in. I think he even made some one off bits for a fat bike for someone on here, so you could always ask for bigger loops.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Here you go, those are 2.3″ 29er tyres.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f3nQcX]SAM_0162[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/f3nPj6]SAM_0163[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

saladdodger
    Free Member

I use a pendle rack so I can still tow a trailer. In the past I had a Witter tow bar rack and it was pants it wobbbled like a fat lass

natrix
    Free Member

Also, I assume they don’t tilt in any way to get stuff out the boot?

With most of the brands, some models tilt and some don’t. If you want that feature then select a model that tilts.

NZCol

Atera DL3 user here, fantastic bit of kit and hangs on the garage wall when not in use.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Blimey, those Aistons look like the result of a school DT project.

The Atera doesn’t need additional brackets etc fitting behind the towball (which isn’t possible anyway on mine). Clamps onto the towball and then clamps down tight (really tight!).

Also lets you get into the boot dead easy -lift a latch, foot on the release mechanism and pull it all forward. Takes 3 seconds.

FOG

Cheers, tinas, that looks like what I need. I have a Pendle which I originally bought because 4 of us tended to use one car. Now more people have bike transport the 2 bike Aiston looks much more convenient than the Pendle which always resulted in scratches on bikes however much padding you tried to shove in!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mines the 4×4 version with a slightly longer arm designed to clear a spare tyre on the boot, which means wide bars clear the back of people carriers too, something to consider whichever rack you buy depending how #enduro your bars are.

Blimey, those Aistons look like the result of a school DT project.

True, but incredibly strong and very simple. And like all the best bike stuff, made in a shed by a bloke with a funny accent!

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have two Aiston racks -a 2 and a 4 bike- and would happily buy another.
    The 4 bike rack will reduce down to a two but I couldn’t be bothered with the faff!
    I rang Mr Aiston and he did me a deal on a 2 bike but without the tow bar mount or uprights cos obviously I already had them. It was well cheap!!!
    Also you can buy individual bits off him separately if you have any problems or just want extras.
    My only negative is that the anodising on the uprights and wheel loops isn’t that durable and mine are now quite rusty- no big deal but doesn’t look too good.
    The central spine which is black in the photos us more durable.
    If I bought new bits now I’d either Hammerite them from new or have them re-done.
    The 4 bike is quite heavy and Mr Aiston doesn’t recommend for anything less than a decent size family car or 4×4
    Oh and he’s a really nice bloke which helps a lot
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Towbar Rack Query- Particularly Aiston or Altera owners’ is closed to new replies.