Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Towbar rack for 5 bikes
  • lovewookie

I’ve been asked if there are any towbar mounted bike racks that will carry 5 bikes? I see the Thule ones do 4, but looking for something similar for 5?

Found the MaxxRaxx, but looking for something more thule like?

anyone know of any?

wwaswas

I’d check what nose weight the tow ball/car will accept. 75kg isn’t unusual and you’ll struggle to get 5 bikes+ a rack under that weight I expect.

Maybe a custom trailer from Pendle if it is an issue?

geoffj

I’d check what nose weight the tow ball/car will accept. 75kg isn’t unusual and you’ll struggle to get 5 bikes+ a rack under that weight I expect.

This ^

Some of the 4 bike ones should only really be used on 4×4 and vans that can take the weight.

ThePinkster

What geoff & wwaswas said. I wouldn’t want to drive a car with 5 bikes on the back. I’ve got a pretty big ‘un and that can feel a bit interesting at times with 4 on.

That trailer looks pretty good.

Re. the Maxxraxx 5 bike version – they won’t sell you the 5 bike extension unless your car has a noseweight ratting over a certain limit (75kg IIRC). I tried to by the 5 bike topbar for mine to give me a bit more room for 4 bikes but they wouldn’t sell it to me even though I was only using it for 4 bikes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

That trailer looks pretty good.

I’d hate that. I have no shame in admitting I am crap at reversing small trailers like that 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How to reverse small trailer.
    1) Park Car
    2) Remove trailer and park trailer as required
    3) (optional) refit car

I’d much rather have the trailer as hanging 4/5 bikes off the back is not a good idea on most cars due to the weight/leverage of the rack.

lovewookie

That looks interesting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THAT
    I dont think there will be one and I would advise a roof rack and a tow bar if you insist

Even then 5 bikes , 5 people and all kit you are going to be in a heavily ladden car.

wwaswas

That looks interesting.

yes, would still count as a trailer for speed restrictions etc but storage would be a bit easier as it looks like the trailer wheel rotates to reduce the space it takes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You back up without counter steering.

you will be fine

http://www.bicyclerack-mottez.com/article.php?lg=en&mid=4&msid=0&mssid=0&rid=14

cookeaa

My first thought was trailer rather than carrier too.

5 bikes is Circa ~70-80kg depending on the bikes, plus the weight of the carrier, you’ll be hanging at least and extra 110kg off theArse-end of the car…

Either a custom job or buy and old single axled trailer frame (there’s always a few knocking about for ~£100 used as M/C transports) just use the frame and fit five roof-rack carriers to it?

That would have some advantages, in that you could tweak things about a bit and would hopefully be cheaper than a fancy carrier, or a bespoke trailer… and down the line it should easily be re-salable, a custom bicycle trailer is a bit of a niche thing to be flogging….

Hmmm… Tempted to look in to something like this as a little side project myself now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Towbar rack for 5 bikes’ is closed to new replies.