Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Towbar mounted racks and fat tyres?
  • pacerc200
    Free Member

Looking to buy a towball mounted rack and was wondering how they cope with fat tyres (2.4/5). Have had roof mounted racks before and from memory the wheel wells were not too wide even using 2.1’s.

scaredypants

I’d have though at the worst you could ziptie some guttering to the rack but just pulling the retaining straps tight would be my 1st attempt

mind you,

even using 2.1’s.

😯

legend
    Free Member

Pendle Heavy Duty wheel support rack

/thread

davewalsh
    Free Member

My Thule 9403 can just about cope with a 2.4 Nobby Nic.

ianv
    Free Member

I have a thule on and its fine with 2.5 High Rollers.

jon773
    Free Member

The New Thule systems have a ratchet strap mechanism to secure the wheels in place.

http://www.thuleonline.co.uk/product/1288-57/Thule-929-EuroClassic-G6-LED-Towball-Mounted-Bike–Cycle-Carrier-NEW

Should be able to cope with fat tyres, mine copes with 2.2 without any issues at all and looks like it could take much fatter types.

pacerc200
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ll go shopping now.

ratadog

Atera strada whyeel support racks have ratchet system and will easily take 2.5s. Looking at the pics I suspect the cheaper buzz racks will be the same although I have no personal experience.

Roof box company have a fair bit of info on their website and have been very helpful in the past when I was looking and/or needed spares. Also can have good deals on their bargain pages.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s not Fat 🙄
    THIS is Fat

hairyneep
    Free Member

The racks that Bryan Aiston makes and sells will do the job, takes 2.5s no problem and are much more solid than Thule, Pendle etc
    Aiston Cycle Racks

xcentric
    Free Member

Aiston Cycle Racks look neat and strong, but don’t appear to pivot away from the boot – is that a pain in practice?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The Aiston racks are excellent. Very industrial and sturdy. Defo recommended

hairyneep
    Free Member

The Aiston is easy to fit into the bracket that you mount behind the tow ball. If we need access to the boot while the bikes are still on it me and my girlfriend can easily lift the rack off with the bikes still in place

sandal100

I have a Thule 9503 I think it is and have carried downhill bikes on it, the plastic where the tyres sit will take it as it will bend slightly to let the tyres in with a bit of a push

Chris

Random
    Free Member

I have a Buzzrack Quattro which is a great rack though I do need to let a little air out of each 2.4 tyre.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Towbar mounted racks and fat tyres?’ is closed to new replies.