Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tow bar mounted rack for up to 4 bikes- recommendations please!
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Picking up new car tomorrow which has a tow bar fitted.
    Never had a tow bar/ball on a car before, previously used roof bars, but am thinking of getting a towbar mounted rack, so any recommendations?
    The car is a S-MAX and was hoping that one of the ones that tilt the bikes away from the car to enable you to still get into the boot would work, but are these more suitable for hatches/saloons? There is a thule one I believe which takes 3 bikes and you can get an adapter for a 4th bike. 4 bike use would be pretty rare- only family holidays really, so it doesn't matter if the 4th bike bit is a faff as I won't be doing it often. Bikes will include FS bikes without a standard toptube, will this be an issue?
    And where is best for prices?
    Has anyone got good or bad experience of using them?
    am not averse to halfrauds but if cheaper online then I'd do that
    cheers

Coleman
    Free Member

Loads of choice and good prices to be found here;

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

check the max noseweight on your S-Max before you order one

Edit:

This vehicle has a maximum tow ball Nose Weight Rating of 80kg, so the maximum number of bikes that may be carried is 4.

carry on

alanf
    Free Member

I picked up a 3 bike rack (Thule) for just over 100 quid and its tip top.
    No complaints at all.
    You may have an issue with the tilting bit. I've never used mine as my car has opening rear glass so i can access boot with everything still in place.
    There are loops on mine which attach to the down tube of the frame rather than top tube with a strap and the wheels are held in place so bikes can't go anywhere.
    3 bikes on there no problem and they are as solid as a rock when on the tow ball. Really good bit of kit. I was a bit sceptical at first but having now used it I don't worry.

Tracey

Got the Thule one, had it a few years and it has been solid and first class, It is used most weekends and on trips to the Alps

Tracey

steveh

What sort of tow bar do you have swan neck (removable) or standard two bolt style?

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk

These racks are the best I've ever had out of pendle, thule etc but they only work with standard two bolt tow bars. They aren't tiltable but with a people carrier tailgate many of the tiltable ones still won't work. You very quickly adjust to packing the back to get things from the seats/only getting things out when the bikes are off.

grunty
    Free Member

I have one of these

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/njNA_v1HqTo9~w7HCO3kxz3uBtkB%2C~4RYoJEYzTmI

It is very good AND it fits in the boot with the seats up. I had a look at a similar Thule one, it was more expensive and it WOULDN'T fit in my boot without the seats down.

It locks onto the townbar default (you cannot get the key off with out locking it) and the stabilising arms have locks on them as well.

The tilt action is very cool as well.

It is not a cheap piece of kit but, if you are going to use it a lot it is worth the investment.

It is also very stable!

I have some pics with a bike attached to it if you want to see

docrobster
    Free Member

It's detachable so I think that means it's a swan neck?
    I like the tilty idea, but no use paying extra for it if it won't clear the tailgate.
    Anyone used a tilty bike carrier with a people carrier/estate type car?

docrobster
    Free Member

Grunty that looks like the one!
    Slides and tilts, fits in the boot. Cheaper than the thule. Excellent!
    Thanks, STWers

FG
    Free Member

I have one of these – http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/products/cycle/red/explorer.htm – it's a decent enough 3-bike rack that tilts but I can't help thinking it should be wider as I'm normally clamping the wheels almost at the edges.

fannybaws
    Free Member

i have just bought a maxxraxx but i had the extra requirement of wanting to be able to use the towbar as well as carry bikes. On sale at evans for 130 for 2 bolt but swan neck version available. havent used it yet so cant comment but it is tiltable.

cheers

Thule

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar mounted rack for up to 4 bikes- recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.