Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tow bar cost
  • rascal
    Free Member

Howdy

Just reading a current thread on rack options and I’m tempted to go down the towbar route – just bought a newish car and still a bit precious over it!
    Anyone have any idea how much it costs to have a towbar fitted? Mate fiited one which was cheaper but a huge pain in the arse.
    Also, anyone heard anything of Aiston racks?

Cheers in advance

superfli
    Free Member

I just got a swan neck Thule bar with 13 pin fitted for 240. got it done when I bought the car.

redthunder
    Free Member

Circa £350

rascal
    Free Member

What model number is that please?
    Recommended?
    Seems pricey initially but I suppose it’s a good option if keeping the car in top nick is also a priority…

jet26
    Free Member

180 with electrics (focus). Took some haggling on phone first!

martinhutch

Depends on car model – my Focus cost 130 for tow bar and electrics at a place near Bradford.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

As a ball park I would say about 200-250 would be about right fitted, i have paid 450 beforebutthat was for a Westfalia removeable towbar on a Pathfinder , on the other hand I paid 40 quid for a used freelander one and fitted it myself

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

£240 , nissan primera

ebygomm
    Free Member

Paid around £160 for a witter towbar, fitted plus electrics (Toyota Corolla)

rascal
    Free Member

Jesus!
    I was thinking £100-ish.
    In that case…can anyone recommend a good all-round non-bankruptcy-inducing solution? 😯

andysredmini
    Free Member

£215 for a fixed one on e90 BMW 3 series
    £360 for a removable
    From indedpension

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

They very wildly in price but one thing I would look into is how the electrics are fitted. Modern cars have a lot of multiplexed circuits and a badly wired unit may affect these. personally I had the correct loom fitted that plugs into the existing connector-if available on your car-so that no wires were cut or Scotchlok type connectors used.
    Cost a king’s ransom for a Witter detachable with full 13 pin electrics & 12v feed for the caravan fridge on my CRV 🙁

chaos

Sounds like a detachable is important if you have reverse parking sensors? Constant false warnings could get very annoying!

Edit: I see Witter let you put in your registration to whittle down the list of compatible towbars. Still expensive though! £433 up to £546 🙁

tonyg2003

£250 for my previous car. £600 with the correct electrical connections (no error messages inside and links up to towing stability function) for detachable one. Quite a bit of that was just the cost of the loom. Also less than a third of what the main dealer wanted.

Junkyard
    Free Member

£40 for second hand tow bar and I fitted it myself

IMHO about an hours work in a garage 1 hr 30 max

creamegg
    Free Member

If your happy to fit your own you can get the tow bar kit for around £75 ish and electrics kit for around £25 ish from here. Takes about an hour and not particularly hard but you will need to remove the bumper and rear lights to install. Apparently the Witter ones are slightly easier to install but I guess you get what you pay for

timc
    Free Member

Westfalia Removeable towbar supplied & fitted for approx £300 by a towbar place in wigan pier called ‘atlas’ (I think) a friend recommended. Great service & great guys

lilesy
    Free Member

most modern cars use cambus electrics including lighting circuits which makes it more exspensive to fit the electrics side

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar cost’ is closed to new replies.