• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TNH.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tow bar bike carrier – any suggestions?
  • TNH
    Free Member

Hi all…. Sorry, this has probably been asked hundreds of times on this forum already, but does anyone have any recommendations for a tow bar bike carrier? I need it to fit my detachable bar, also to tilt down so you can get in the boot.

I like the look of the Thule Euroclassic 2 bike version (it looks sturdy, won't drop the bikes on the motorway etc.) but at nearly 300 quid I wondered if anyone uses anything else before I start looking down the back of the sofa for any lost coins.

Cheers!

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Hi,

http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/html/atera_strada.html

I got one of these and it's good. However when driving it doesn't half move about in the rear view mirror. Bit disconcerting initially.

I purchased it as it was the best "tilter" in it's day, was light and could, if need be, be stored in the boot when not being used ie when riding. Also had reversing light – if wired correctly.

The Thule ones available, at the time i was looking, had a problem with bikes jumping out of the skis – no doubt been sorted by now.

I note that at the moment there is no link for the Strada on the roofbox company's website – so may have been withdrawn from the market.

I've got a Thule something or other. Fits 3 bikes. Don't use it very often but when I do it's a doddle to fit and seems quite sturdy.

mtbfix

I use a Pendle wheel support rack. It is great but blocks access to the boot unless you turn the bars on the steerer. Thule and Pendle both do tilting racks these days and these are the ones to go for IMO.

stumpyjon

Thule Euroclassic 904, 3 bike one for me. Very expensive but very good. Very stable, easy to get on and off (although pretty heavy). I wanted a towbar rack but didn't want to hang the bikes. Been very happy since I bought it at Easter, used it alot, well worth the money. I can't see me ever needing another rack (sold two boot mounted ones to help fund the Thule).

project
    Free Member

TNH, i have just won a Thule 908 euroclasic tow bar mounted bike rack,i won as part of a competition on Bike Week, and as i dont have a tow bar, and its going to be 200 quid to fit it, its for sale,still in its box,totally unused.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

One other thing – AFAIR, when I was looking, the atera strada was the only rack that would tilt far enough to clear the tailgate of a people carrier. It doesn't so much tilt as extend in a downwards curve.

Those not used to seeing such a carrier stare in amazement when you slide it back to get into the boot.

And yes you will need to hunt down the back of the sofa – they're not cheap!

mttm
    Free Member

I've got a Maxxraxx:

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/

Carries 4 bikes, very solid, tilts and allows you to still use your towball for towing. Available in two or 4 bike versions, for swan neck or standard towballs, and tilts far enough to allow opening of the boot on a Citroen Picasso. Not the cheapest, but well thought out.

cbike
    Free Member

New pyramid 2 £17.50 -£30.00 on the internet.

Towequipe.co.uk seem to have great prices for all that stuff.

steveh

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk

Like a pendle wheel support but better in every way and cheaper. I've had pendle, these and a thule and this is the best by a mile.

I wouldn't worry about tilting functions personally. When a rack is full theres a fair bit of weight in bikes and rack which is hard to handle. You really do soon get used to packing things you might need by the seats too.

Oh and this has been covered many times before. It's called the search function…

abductee
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172555_langId_-1_categoryId_165477

Thule ride on 9403 the bikes don't rattle together and get scratched like the racks where they hang from the crossbar and the absence of a crossbar on FS bikes is not a problem. The bikes are out of the wind and you can go as fast as you like(or as a the law permits) without worry.

Friend of mine has the Thule 903 – Euroclassic Pro 3-Bike but its about £300+ and its a lot of money to leave on the back of your car for hours on end. 903 is better but the 9403 does the job. I would get a 3 bike one even if you only use 2 bikes because they do touch when they are next to each other.

TNH
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice, very helpful!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar bike carrier – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.