Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Touring Scotland with kids?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thinking of doing this for 10 days in August

Kids are 9 and 13

Would like to get up to highlands/islands if possible

Recommendations for places to stay/itinerary please?

sbob
    Free Member

What type of whisky do you prefer?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

🙂 I did that tour many years ago!

sbob
    Free Member

Camping or hotels?

towzer

Home

Plockton as a base, DO drive Applecross/Torridon road on a good clear day

Skye – Quirang (+ otter hide just N of ferry early morning before light and wait)

Beaches on Harris and Lewis

http://www.wigwamholidays.com/

Crinan canal – good for a bike bimble

take midge repellent net hats and long sleeved/legged clothes …….

cabins at Loch Tay

but does kind of depend on what you/kids want – one potential issue with the west coast is the lack of wet weather options and facilities but it is the most beautiful place and as a nipper I was happy with a fishing rod, a pier, bait and then some damn building and rock pooling but suspect todays younger generation might need a bit more than that

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hotels/B&B/self catering

scotroutes

10 days – do you really want to “tour” or let the kids enjoy their surroundings? While there are many fantastic places to go, I’d suggest concentrating on one small area and “doing” it really well.

If you are travelling up from Englandandwales then don’t overlook Galloway. There are many fantastic beaches, forests, rivers and a few decent attractions (like the Cream of Galloway visitors centre).

Many folk look down their noses at it but Aviemore has by far the best selection of family-oriented activities, plus it’s only an hours drive from the great beaches on the Moray coast, not much more to Loch Ness and/or Fort William.

The islands dictate that you make your own fun (not that this should be a problem) but can be pretty damn miserable in poor weather, with fewer distractions.

sbob
    Free Member

I used to stay just outside Aviemore (campsite at a tiny village called The Boat of Garten) and it’s perfectly possible to daytrip anywhere on the mainland from it.

geoffj

Aviemore and/or Dumfries & Galloway +1

dazzlingboy

As above – with kids and bikes it’s hard to look past Aviemore. Sure, the beaches on the western Isles are (imo) one of the most beautiful places in the world, but kids will be bored in 10 minutes, or less if the midges are out, or even less if it is raining and blowing a gale. Aviemore area well set up with wet weather alternatives and great bike trails for exploring/picnics. Good pubs if you’re into that (Old Bridge Inn). Rent canoes on Loch Morlich or a day on the Spey (very gentle at Kincraig/Aviemore end). It’s not the western Isles or the NW highlands but it’s great with kids. We own a holiday cottage near Glencoe and go camping every year in Aviemore – so much to do.

huggis
    Free Member

Are you touring on bikes (I.e. No car involved) or will have bikes with you for day trips?

scotroutes

It’s on the “Chat” forum so I’d assumed car

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yes touring by car (with bikes)

huggis
    Free Member

There are so many cool places…aviemore is ok if you are taking MTB’s. Lots of good Forrest tracks of varying lengths..

If road roads are preffered then I’d base myself around Argyllshire (Tarbet?) or near Inverness. Lots of quite back roads to put together some excellent routes. I’m heading north of Inverness in 2 weeks time and have planned 3-4 day trips (15-25 miles) which the kids really enjoy.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yeah off-road preferred really, or very quiet back roads

redstripe
    Free Member

we did it in 2012 in our kombi van, mainly stayed in youth hostels, up the west coast / islands, into the highlands, across the top Cape Wrath to John o’Groats and back via Edinburgh. Great trip, mixture of beautiful scenery, extreme tackiness (e.g. Loch Ness touristy things) and bloody midges in the evenings making it impossible to go out for more than 5 minutes unless you are covered in agent orange, DDT, those hat net things etc. I was very impressed by that canal that cuts across the middle

julzm
    Free Member

Couple of recommends :
    Callander and the Trossachs : auchenlaich farmhouse service second to none, on an NCR, folks that run it do dinners etc and kids can be fed earlier if required, they got DVDs washing facilities etc and are bike friendly.

Also, for something different there is an old railway sleeper carriage just north of Dornoch which you can stay in. For around £10 per night each, each old carriage (think of the old films where there is a sliding door into a small compartment with 3 seats either side of the window) has the three seats one side and bunks on the other. They have cooking facilities, BBQ, lovely gardens etc.

Aviemore in summer would be a must but will be very busy. Anywhere around crianlarich etc for west highland way. Would definitely recommend Oban, seil island,etc for lots to do.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Touring Scotland with kids?’ is closed to new replies.