Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Touring on an Inbred?
  • simonk
    Free Member

Pretty much what it says really, planning to tour the Norwegian leg of the NSCR next summer riding from Oslo to Bergen.
    I currently have an On-One Inbred that i ride rigid and disc's all year round and for the tour i am thinking of runing a rear rack and an extrawheel set up (easier to fly over in 1 box/bag), one thing i am worried about is fitting a rear rack while runing disc's, there does not seem to be a lot of room there, has anyone had any experience with racks on an inbred or able to give some advice? my only other alternative is a BoB Yak trailer but i am not sure how easily this would go into a bike box with the bike.

Cheers in advance

Simon

alexonabike

I toured the length of Wales in a singlespped inbred with a carry freedom trailer. I sold the bike to a mate when I was short of funds ad would pay twice what I sold it for to get it back – even if I only used it for touring. They work very well for this.

nigew
    Free Member

I toured Brittany about 3 years ago on my Inbred and like you was struggling to fit a rack with discs on, one of the guys i was going with said not to bother with discs and run Vs as they are much easier to bodge/ more spares avaliable, which makes sense, so took his advice!
    Sorry i cant offer a better suggestion.

MrAgreeable

If you do decide to go down the trailer route, the EBC Revolution folds flat and there are some very cheap versions of it floating around on eBay – do a search for the thread on trailers a few weeks back.

MrAgreeable

You can get disc-specific racks too, although if you're going off-road a trailer is probably your best bet.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Topeak-Topeak-Super-Tourist-DX-For-Rear-Rack-for-Bikes-with-Disc-Brakes-14818.htm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its easy to fit a rack with discs – you just space the disc side out enough to clear the calliper. I have done this on several bikes. If you are going to carry a big load then maybe retap the hole to M6 from M5 and tubus racks are recccomended as easy to fit and more stable

cp

toured with both my inbred and 456 with the same blackburn rack. Hope mini (original) discs on the inbred and hfx9 brakes on the 456. just had to cut a little bit off the bottom of the mount of the rack to clear the caliper, but it wasn't structural at all.

can also space as tj says if you have issues.

Fab touring bikes!! i'm hoping to get out on mine later in the year for some long weekend light camping trips.

crash_gav
    Free Member

I just ran a front brake on our Barra to Lewis tour, no problems although the v rear would probably be a safer option.

No chance of an over the bars escape with all the weight on the back 😀

tootallpaul

A silly idea. I wouldn't do it.

😮

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Simon k love the idea and would like to do something similar.
    Are you documenting your journey / planning?
    Cheers

Pippin
    Free Member

+1 for TJ

I also cycle toured Brittany running hope mono minis and a standard rack. I just used spacers – 3-4mm thick washers, to move the strut away from the caliper. was absolutely fine. My only gripe (if even a gripe) was that out of the saddle honking with loaded panniers leads to massive frame flex.

JoeBones
    Free Member

The rack you need for disc bikes is one of these

I fitted one last week to my Sirrus, whilst she is v brake I can see how versatile and strong this rack is.

There are brackets that wrap around the seat stays to avoid you using the ordinary rack mounts (I have used the ordinary rack mounts in this picture)

Hope this helps

simonk
    Free Member

Awesome thanks all TJ that looks perfect cheers for the link, new year i am rebuilding my current bike into something more road friendly (comuting and training)and building a second one for trail work.
    Nunuboogie, it is early stages and i will start documenting it in my blog after christmas including my training, i have loads of work to do fitness wise as i am currently very over weight (read massive) but i am doing something about it), 4-5 weeks ago i was barely able to ride 3 miles, already i am doing 12-15 mile rides several times a week and loosing weight quite well so i am off and running so to speak, one site i found is this one http://mistymornings.net/index.html a few years ago they did the section i am doing but in reverse

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Touring on an Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.