Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Touring motorbikes – advice?
  • RustySpanner

Not ridden for ages, but there’s the vague possibility of picking up a bike for next spring.

Looking for:

Two-up comfort.
    Managable weight/low seat.
    Luggage.
    Decent range.
    Decent build quality.
    Probably under three grand.

I’d quite like it to be fun too.
    🙂

So far, I’m thinking
    Sprint ST.
    1200 Bandit.
    TDM.
    Versys.
    VFR800.
    CBR600.
    V-Strom.
    Transalp.

That type of thing.
    I could get a lovely Deauville for two and a half grand, but, well, you know.

Nothing classic – I just couldn’t cope with the stress these days.
    🙂

I’m too short for a Pan (tried one, just too much weight for me).

Head says old VFR or Triumph Sprint.
    Worried that a Suzuki will dissolve over winter, don’t think I could live with a bike as ugly as a TDM.

Any more ideas?

All advice welcome.

weeksy

VFR 800 was a nice ride…. but TBH mate, you should be more looking at say a Superblackbird/ZZR1100

annebr
    Free Member

I have a 650 Versys. Copes well with touring but I’ve not gone 2 up as the other half rides his own bike. But I have no doubt it’d be fine for 2up touring.

RustySpanner

Anne, how tall are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

you should be more looking at say a Superblackbird/ZZR1100

My last big bike was a Suzuki GS850.
    🙂
    I was a bit worried they’d be a bit too much for a returnee.
    Will stick them on the list.

Have ridden a ZZR600 a while back which was great, but there’s not a lot of nice ones left.

turboferret

Don’t rule out something Bavarian too.

Cheers, Rich

RustySpanner

Rich, some K series and high mileage 1100’s at my budget.
    Not ridden a modern boxer, they look huge. 😐

allthegear
    Free Member

Rusty – I was surprised at how nimble the R1200GS I took out whilst my 800 was in for a service. I always wanted the boxer (an it will be mine eventually) but as a new rider I assumed it would be too heavy to handle. I’d say, if anything, it’s EASIER than the 800…

It’s also huge fun!

Rachel

rwamartin
    Free Member

Got a 650 Transalp. First and only bike so not really qualified to compare anything. However, very pleased with it. Good economy (50+ mpg but I don’t cane it). Good view. Handles better than I’ll ever need. I’m 5’11” but only a 29″ trouser and just on the edge of comfortable to put a foot down.
    700 ‘Alps are supposed to be underrated.

Rich.

RustySpanner

Cheers Rachel, that’s good to know. I’ll go and have a sit on a few.
    🙂

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

A mate of mine picked up an ’03 VFR800 very recently for less than 2k It’s at 28k miles and due a largish service soon, was making a funny noise that the seller said was the clutch (it wasn’t it was the Cam chain tensioners, common fault) it was in fair condition and had full, bespoke luggage thrown in. He’s ridden it a few times and he’s started to tinker the faults right. Should be bob-on pretty soon with little more than 2k spent.
    Looks nice, sounds nice, is a bit heavy, but the weight is low and doesn’t feel heavy when you’re moving. Quite comfy and aside from a few well documented niggles it seems they go on forever. worth a try i reckon…

allthegear
    Free Member

oh – and riding up or down the metal ramp of a ferry in the rain is probably the most terrifying thing you will do in your life. Ever… 😉

Rachel

winston
    Free Member

Under 3k won’t get you much GS as the secondhand ones have an undeserved premium being the worlds most popular bike etc etc. In addition whilst the new ones are just as good on road as off (where they obviously spend 99.9% of their time) the old 1150’s were more trail biased

A CBF1000 would suit your requirements pretty well, they have a fantastic engine, great handling, reliable, good luggage options and better still, as they are unfashionable you can get a beauty for 3k

finishthat
    Free Member

Forget Triumph , tall and top heavy – great if you fit but not if you dont.
    VFR – or Blackbird good choices , older boxers complete lottery for reliability
    avoid completely at your budget. FJ11/1200 could be found but most have been
    run into the ground.

fasthaggis

Rusty

My cousin bought a TDM 900 to use on a touring holiday last summer ( he didn’t want to take his GSX).
    He said it worked well as a tourer ,but found it a bit thirsty* .
    He had intended to keep it as a commuter/winter bike but traded it for an XTZ.

*he may have been trying to ride it like his GSX a bit too much

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

For two-up with luggage, then Honda Blackbird is perfect. it’s unlikely to breakdown and will last forever. Same with VFR, but maybe a little short on horse power if that bothers you. You may find a late CBR1000f which are worth looking out for.

Fat-boy-fat

On a similar theme. Same type of bike but for someone tall? Thinking about my first real motorbike (rode them as a kid offroad but never actually got a licence). I quite fancy something sitty uppy and beggy that is going to be comfortable for long touring days and I’m 6’4″.

My elder brother (who is a bit taller than me) seems to suit his big beemer but I was wondering whether there were any other outsize contenders on the market.

euain

Have ridden a ZZR600 a while back which was great, but there’s not a lot of nice ones left.

Where are you based? A mate’s got a ZZR600 in a garage on low miles and not been on the road in about 6 or 7 years. He keeps half heartedly talking about selling it or getting it serviced and going again. It’s very tidy but would need a once over to get it going again (clean carbs etc). He might be amenable to an offer 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

V-strom is a great, underappreciated bike. £3k is previous generation territory though.

I have a ’13 DL650. Done a few 400 miler days (on non-dualler carriageways and stretches of single too!) this last year and its been great. Not really a handful but managed to more or less keep up with bigger bikes (my main riding mate has a Guzzi 1200 Sport). You have to plan your overtakes mind as it struggles to keep up bike with 50-100% more power. You might find it underpowered two up.

You’ll be lucky to find a Transalp cheap, they have a following (which is a good thing). never tried one, but would’ve bought one if I could’ve found one cheap enough.

I would’ve thought that with the Aventurer Tourer being the mode a la jour you’d manage to pick up a ‘proper’ tourer cheaper. No experience, so won’t comment

However, I’m seriously tempted by the new Tiger 800…

br
    Free Member

If you can get a Triumph GT I’d heartedly recommend one.

Big, comfy, safe.

Lower seat than the ST and a longer swingarm. Came with panniers as standard.

craigxxl
    Free Member

VFR from your list without a doubt. Outside thinking and agreement with Daisy Duke is the bigger sports bike such as Blackbird and ZZR1100. Whatever you get make sure it has removable panniers and topbox. Very handy when you get to your destination and allows a bit more fun without them.
    I had a Honda Varadero that you could cross continents with ease but it wasn’t a light bike and with the height and extra touring weight it could be unnerving at slow speed.

allthegear
    Free Member

and, if they are removeable, that they lock to the bike – you don’t want to find someone removes them without asking nicely!

Rachel

turboferret

I have an R1100S which will be for sale as soon as I return from India.

I was in a similar situation to you a while back and the VFR800 and R1100S were on my short-list as I’m not a big fan of in-line fours. The VFR was supremely capable, but it felt as though you needed to be going at warp-speed for it to be fun. While I expected the boxer to be wheezy and slow, the engine has bags of character and was fun at sensible speeds, while still being able to crack on.

Has hard luggage and pretty much fits your criteria (although range isn’t huge) and will be well under budget. Let me know if you’re interested and not too far from London.

Cheers, Rich

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve toured on a 1200 bandit. A smallish tanks and poor fuel economy makes fuel stops a bit inconvenient. The unfaired ones (which I have) are tough on the neck if you’re spending a lot of time over 60. The front wheel doesn’t like staying on the ground two-up.

So, not ideal, but if you can put it down to character they’re fine. Wouldn’t be my first choice though.

I bought mine new in 96. Nothing has dissolved yet.

allthegear
    Free Member

Love my 24 litre tank and 60mpg economy… 🙂

Rachel

5thElefant
    Free Member

Love my 24 litre tank and 60mpg economy…

Yeah, my Cagiva Elefant was similar. The most important feature for a touring bike if you find yourself in rural Spain on a Sunday.

EDIT: don’t buy a Cagiva Elefant, or any old Ducati / Cagiva. The electrical systems do dissolve.

weeksy

I have a mate who has one of them R1100’s for sale too. He bought it for a tour of France, now he’s back.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If, by “touring” you mean walking around the bike with a spanner in your hand, swearing loudly and kicking the it from time to time, then Ducati’s what you want. Or if you like riding in tow trucks, they’re good for arranging that.
    Not so hot if you plan going someplace more than 30 miles away and not finishing the trip using public transport.

annebr
    Free Member

Rusty I’m 5’9″ ish but I did have my Versys lowered so I felt a bit more at ease with my feet properly on the floor.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If, by “touring” you mean walking around the bike with a spanner in your hand, swearing loudly and kicking the it from time to time, then Ducati’s what you want. Or if you like riding in tow trucks, they’re good for arranging that.

I don’t know what you mean 😉

That was before I got off the drive.

weeksy

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

Not so hot if you plan going someplace more than 30 miles away and not finishing the trip using public transport

What an absolute pile of tripe.

bazzer
    Free Member

Another vote for a Blackbird CBR1100xx here.

But you can tour on anything and touring means different things to different people.

For me and my mate its getting to the twistiest roads ASAP and having a laugh. We don’t really go to see stuff, just to ride great roads. We leave at 8am in the morning and sometimes don’t finish riding till 8pm in the evening. I know for some people that would be hell. Others want to ride as much as possible.

I tour on a Tuono V4 APRC with Kreiga soft luggage. I have done the GS1200 thing and its not for me. Just encourages you to transport loads of rubbish you don’t need. Or at least thats my take on it.

annebr
    Free Member

Oh and my other half has the Vstrom and would equally recommend them. He’s about 5’11”.

Woody
    Free Member

Blackbird suits a mate at work and he’s toured all over Europe in it. He’s 5’8″ and another did fairly huge miles on a VFR800 which was his 1st bike after passing his test.
    I sold my Suzuki RF900 a few months ago, mainly because I felt a bit cramped in the legs with it, I’m 6’1″ but a very nice bike indeed for 2 up touring. If you can live with the looks and the fact that are a straight 4, you can pick a low mileage one up for a song.

Stoner
    Free Member

Fat boy fat, I’m 6’4″ and got this Honda NC700X for my first bike. I raised the seat an inch and it’s very comfy for commuting and light touring.

boblo
    Free Member

Out of that list, I’ve had the VFR and the ZZR1100 and still have a Blackbird.

The VFR is a bit weedy in this company but is respected as the bike you could ride to the track day then scare the born agains on their Blades. If this is your first big bike, it might be a wise choice if you’re concerned about handling the bulk of the bigger bikes.

If you’re choosing between the ZZR and the Blackie, I’d go with the latter. The ZZR is a bit rough (carbs), the lights are shite, the range isn’t as good and the front mudguard catches cross winds so you need 3 lanes (and spare pants) when it’s really windy. The Blackie has a potential ECU fault which gives a false positive on the F1 light but doesn’t affect performance at all. I elected to change the ECU when mine suffered it but only cos I’m a bit anal/OCD.

If you want any more, shout.

<edit> CBR6 for touring? Really?…

Euro
    Free Member

I’d suggest a late (’96-’97) VFR 750. None of that VTEC nonsense to ruin the fun. Sublime V4 engine, overbuilt like you wouldn’t believe and fast enough for most.

VFR 750

jota180
    Free Member

FJR1300 – just do it

rickmeister

96k on my zzr11. It’s been brilliant and very reliable too. 230 mile tank range, comfy enough for 1000 mile days ..

KTM 990’smt on the cards next.

birky
    Free Member

Re height, I’m 5’9″ and get on ok with 1150 and 1200 GSs

CBR6 for touring? Really?…

Did half a dozen foreign trips on mine (F model). It was fine, great all-rounder.

jota180
    Free Member

CBR600 is a great tourer, not 2 up though with gear

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Touring motorbikes – advice?’ is closed to new replies.