• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Touring fork with cage mounts
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ve got a Salsa Vaya and want to replace the forks. I’m after something with cage mounts. Are there any off the shelf options?

shermer75
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

Actually- by ‘cage’ do you mean low rider rack? I may have made an assumption there! 🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

I think he meant bottle cages, the Vaya already has lowrider mounts.

Something like the Troll, but 5cm shorter :).

shermer75
    Free Member

Ahhh…

steezysix
    Free Member

The Vaya has mid-fork eyelets doesn’t it? No need for new forks, you can just wrap the fork in a cut up inner tube, use the eyelet for one cage hole and put jubilee clips either side to hold it secure. Done that on my AWOL and it is rock solid. Unless you just want an excuse to buy new forks… 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

To clarify I want bottle cage mounts.

I dropped off a curb and think the forks bent forward slightly. Doesn’t appear to be hardly any trail anymore. Looked online and they were subject to a recal for this reason, but checked serial number and mine weren’t included.

Anyway, new fork time.

Won’t buy from SJS anymore after there Middleburn behaviour.

STATO
    Free Member

I dont think anyone makes a road fork with bottle cage space mounts, they are all MTB length, 450mm, as far as im aware. Just do as steezy suggests, or if you want to be fancy make a metal bar to run from mid boss to dropout and put some threads on it for bottle cage, actually dont, wait until I patent the idea first 😉

Rik
    Free Member

I went custom and have a fork with lovely brazed fork with a custom length and rack, anything cage mounts and low riders.

Totally recommend Sword Cycles

fourbanger
    Free Member

Guess I could get stock fork and braze in my own bosses.

faustus

Rivnuts and a drill? I wouldn’t but i guess you could in theory…

There are also plenty of options like this if you want:

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p94953/SKS-Anywhere-Bottle-Cage-Adapter.aspx?sku=334527&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=prod_ads&gclid=CNjNz_SNlM8CFbMK0wodvvYNoA

Clobber
    Free Member

I think Sam at singular may have some still, send him an email, his take the anything cages or gorilla cage or just bottle cages

wicki
    Free Member

Bikes DE have had some surly and salsa ones last time I looked

wzzzz
    Free Member

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-5-womens-2016-fork-EV250549

2 sets of dropout bosses
    Low rider mounts
    410mm a-c
    50mm offset
    Decent tyre clearance
    1.2kg
    £60

scotroutes

And no bottle cage mounts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Guess I could get stock fork and braze in my own bosses.

Brazing isn’t necessary. All you do is drill a hole and insert the correct size rivnut. 5 minute job. Seriously. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Brazing isn’t necessary. All you do is drill a hole and insert the correct size rivnut. 5 minute job. Seriously.

Brazing might not be, but putting 7mm holes in a road fork would likely require you needing a dentist shortly thereafter 😯

OCB
    Free Member

What follows turned out to be a list of entirely unsuitable forks, but I’ve carried on with it – in case it saves you time if they come up in conversation down the thread:

ECR or Firestarter forks are obvious, as they have all the options, but at ~480mm, they are *way* too long (having just measured my Vaya’s forks at just over 400mm A-C). Fargo forks are similarly well drilled, and a bit shorter, but still too long (~460mm).

Salsa’s Marrakesh fork would appear to be the closest, it’s got all the mounting options, albeit slightly longer at 415mm A-C, but … I don’t think you can them (other than as [part of] a frameset).

🙄

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Touring fork with cage mounts’ is closed to new replies.