• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Touring bike gearing question, aka will my knees die?
  • IHN

We’re off for our first tour next weekend, 160 miles ish around the Yorkshire Dales over three days. I’ve been designated pack horse, and I’ve just stuck a rack for a couple of panniers on my cross bike. Also had the foresight to stick an MTB cassette on it, as I think I’ll need some lower gears.

So, I have a lowest gear of 34/32, and a bike that will weigh, well, quite a lot. Are my kneecaps going to explode?

stevious

If you’re going up some of the really steep hills it could be a struggle. Nothing wrong with getting off & pushing if that’s the case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You may well struggle, as he says, you can always walk.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

depends really, mainly on how fit/strong you are anyway and how much weight you’re taking.

I’ve got a lowest gear of 34/32 on my road tourer and find it fine for lightweight touring in the Alps and Pyrenees, did Raid Pyrenean last year and leaving on Friday for Geneva-Nice, although I stick to hotels and only carry 10kg on the rack.

steezysix
    Free Member

On steep stuff it’s quite nice to get off and walk sometimes, I find it helps stretch out the Achilles which can get a bit tight after hours on the bike.

convert

Are we talking camping touring or credit card touring? Fully loaded with front and rear panniers for a solo camping trip I would struggle with that gearing anywhere with lumps.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do not underestimate gearing. Lower is better when touring. 🙂

IHN

B&B touring, hopefully each pannier should contain two lots of cycling kit, one lot of evening stuff and underwear and few toiletries. Plus rainwear, lock etc. Shouldn’t weigh too much hopefully.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I find it helps stretch out the Achilles which can get a bit tight after hours on the bike.

It’s a tendon it doesnt get tight….

ton

cycle touring should always involve a bit of walking taking in the scenery.

IHN

So, slight thread resurrection, I’ve borrowed a 50/39/30 triple chainset from a mate, so my lowest gear is now 30/32. Can’t see me using the big ring much…

And the weather is looking pretty crap. What snorkel for cycle touring? 🙁

whitestone
    Free Member

Weather looks reasonable until Sunday dinner time – http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637702

Whereabouts are you planning on going? The Dales is quite a big area. Given that there are some big ups, remember that there are also some big downs – how are your brakes?

IHN

Friday – Addingham to Ingleton
    Saturday – Ingleton to Reeth
    Sunday – Reeth to Adingham.

Following the Dales cycleway.

I’ve got a disc on the front, the pads have been checked…

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, OK. Did the Dales Cycleway years ago over three days during March I seem to remember and using the same stops (actually YHA) as yourselves.

Watch out for the descent in to Swaledale down Oxnop Scar – it’s really steep and with blind corners. Park Rash might need some care as well. As usual with rides like this it isn’t the main named climbs that get you as you know about them but the little ups and downs that continually drain you as you can’t maintain any momentum.

Spin
    Free Member

I spent a month loaded touring in the Pyrenees last summer and used my lowest gear more in one day in the Dales on the way home! For loaded Touring I’ve got a touring triple with 48,36,26 giving me a lowest gear of 26×32. I’ve used it plenty and even if I don’t use it its nice to know its there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Touring bike gearing question, aka will my knees die?’ is closed to new replies.