Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tour of Flanders 2012
  • Digger90
    Free Member

Looking for online entry but have Googled around and can’t find one… anybody got any info on this?

thekingofsweden

I think you need to ride for a pro team and then they need to be good enough to be invited?

If it’s the sportive you want I think you can just turn up

Look for RVV.be

🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

wonder if they stick with ninove or move the sportive to oudenarde?

Marge
    Free Member

it’s massively early for the registrations for 2012, particularly as there is now a lot of arguments going on about the new course…..

For the recreational riders on the Saturday, the big open question is if they would also ride the 3 finishing loops. I could imagine absolute chaos if that was the case.

Digger90
    Free Member

I thought registrations for the Sportive opened in Sept last year for this year’s event… just want to get a hotel booked before the big rush!

darrell
    Free Member

I remember at registration for last year there was a petition going round to try and keep the start and finish in Ninove.

Having the 3 loop finish for the sportive would be “interesting” to say the least

tonyg2003

You’re starting in the wrong place 😀 Go “full fat” and start in Bruge!

redted
    Free Member

Digger, I’d get your hotel booked anyway, I don’t ever recall the event being oversubscribed unless anyone on here knows otherwise? W’ve had the hotel and ferry booked for some time now, you may struggle to find somewhere if you leave it too long. We saved alot on the ferry by booking early, a minibus (Caravelle size) with 4 people, inside cabin and all meals both ways for £103 each (Hull to Zebbrugge).

Blackhound

It was also eol 2 years ago though I entered online in advance. Bit early for website I think.

I started at Ninove as 140km was far enough and start/finish at same place. Strarting in Brussels very early and getting back after ~270k would not be fun.

I really enjoyed this event, all except descending on cobbles that is! Go for it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I really enjoyed this event, all except descending on cobbles that is!

thats the best bit! it’s better to put it in the big ring and pedal hard as you just float over the cobbles, you do have to shout at the nodders to get out the way though.

darrell
    Free Member

and watch out for flying water bottles

Marge
    Free Member

I guess the hotel decision is more complicated now as there is no point in staying in Aalst or Ninove.
    Oudenaarde doesn’t have many hotels as far as I recall.
    Gent has plenty of choice of course, and is only 30mins away.

plop_pants
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a faff but I drop everything off at a hotel in Bruges, then drive to the nearest railway station to the finish with links back to Bruges (Aalst usually, Oudenaarde in 2012 then), leave my car there and get the train back to Bruges. That way I can do the full distance on the day even if I end up going on my own. 11th year for me.

plop_pants
    Free Member

ps the Belgians are crying in their beer if the RVV facebook page is anything to go by. The sportive will be a nightmare for the organisers.

Also, registering on the day in Bruges can be quicker than pre-entering. I queued for over an hour this year to get my number. Lots of cold, unhappy campers!

ourmaninthenorth

Missed it this year, but after the full edition in 2010 I didn’t mind having a break..!

What Marge says is correct. Mainly cos Marge lives out there.

Oh, and man up and do the full edition. It’s brutal. 😀

Marge
    Free Member

I don’t do facebook but speaking as a local there is indeed a lot of upset regarding the course change.
    Some for sporting reasons though plenty of based on the financial effect.
    Personally speaking I agree with Johann Museeuw when he says give the new course a chance before condemning it.

I am very keen to hear how they propose the sportive will run though….

plop_pants
    Free Member

Paris Roubaix is brutal, Flanders is just beautiful.

ssjeff
    Free Member

I’m going.

Digger90
    Free Member

Many thanks for the info… so, anybody recommend a decent (but not too expensive) hotel for a family… wife and 3 kids coming with me (spectating, not riding – obviously!).

Sounds like the logical place to stay is in Bruges?

IdleJon

Marge – Member

Oudenaarde doesn’t have many hotels as far as I recall.

I stayed in Oudenaarde for the RVV a few years ago, so there’s definitely one hotel there! Can’t remember the name though…

ourmaninthenorth

Bloody hell. I wasn’t going to do it next year and, yet again, I’m being sucked in….

For those not doing the full edition – and why the hell not? – consider staying in Brussels (assuming sportive starts at Ninove again). I stayed in the Hilton for 23 quid a night two years ago.

Must resist and do Roubaix instead… No, really, Mrs North will kill me if we go out for Classics week….!

Digger90
    Free Member

(assuming sportive starts at Ninove again)

Starts at Ninove?

You mean ends there…? I thought it started in Bruges?

Marge
    Free Member

Sportive 150km & 75km started & finshed in Ninove…

Re: Hotels:
    There are a few but you should be quick for obvious reasons:

http://www.oudenaarde.be/en/visitors/accommodation/hotels/

ourmaninthenorth

Yeah, ladyboy versions start in Ninove. Big boys’ version starts in Brugge*.

You know what you have to do.

*if you’re going to Flanders, don’t give it the French name…!

Marge
    Free Member

*if you’re going to Flanders Vlaanderen don’t give it the French name…! 😉

Ashamed to say I have only ever ridden the ladyboy versions 🙁
    Maybe now I’ve got a road bike I can do it in 2012…

MrSmith
    Free Member

stick with the ladyboy version, it’s still 95 miles and you get to do the best bits and miss the boring flat windy bit, you also don’t have to get up at 4.30am to get a bus to Bruges or finish an hour from your car.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Flanders 2012’ is closed to new replies.