Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tour du Mont Blanc
  • oregon29
    Free Member

Anyone done it? Tips? Me and a few mates are planning 4-5 days at the beginning of September.

oregon29
    Free Member

Anyone, anyone…

jasperb
    Free Member

No tips I’m affraid, just a bit of Mt. Blanc eye candy I ran into yesterday

ktmblag
    Free Member

I attempted it beginning of September 2001. It snowed bad on the 2nd day and we couldn’t get back to chamonix. We had a hell of a job to get back..we were stupid and we didn’t carry passports which caused a problem when we couldn’t ride the off road route back. We we’re set to piss it in 3days. We carried all are camping stuff and just camped wild

Sven

I did, but that was back in 1994ish, and it was a tour guided by bike alpin, I wasn’t even allowed to drive a car yet, and can’t provide any tips, sorry…

TheGingerOne

If you do a search you should find that there have been a number of threads on the subject incl. one fairly recently – last month or two

oregon29
    Free Member

yeah jasperb that’s what has inspired us. plenty of info out there just wanteda first hand account. Note to self carry passport.

myheadsashed

Sanny has done it in the last few years, he’ll be along shorty no doubt…..

flap_jack
    Free Member

did it with MBMB in 2003. Probably all knowledge now out of date. Easy way to do it though.

Only problem with September is that it gets dark early and can be cold – I’ve been to Cham quite a few septembers and it’s surprising how early the chill sets on even on a nice day…

wildheart
    Free Member

I did this back in ’98 with MBMB led by Phil H and can honestly say its been one of the best rides ever.The 5 days through 3 countries gave it a proper feeling of adventure.Fantastic singletrack in REAL mountains doesnt get any better.
    Made some good riding buddies too.. do it if you can.

BigR

Did it self sufficent with 3 others about 4 years ago. Took 4 days and were very lucky with the weather apart from the last day which was freezing and wet. We went clockwise . If you want to drop me an email I can give you more info. Whatever you do don’t go up Col du Bovine on your way to Champex!

higgo
    Free Member

Me and three mates are doing it anti-clockwise in early Sept.

We’re starting in Les Houches and stopping at Ref. Mottets, Rif. Elena & Hotel Col Forclaz before rolling into Les Houches and taking a beer or two.

Happy to share any plans/ route info etc with anyone via email (in profile)

olddog

I did it a couole of years ago. Guided, with Phil as well. Top ride, well worth doing, you don’t need to be ultra fit, I’m not – but you do need to be a pretty regular mountain biker and used to riding hard several days in a row. Obviously the shorter the time the harder it is.

http://www.mbmb.co.uk/3ct.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/summit-special-mont-blanc-by-mountain-bike-2033331.html

ChrisE
    Free Member

It’s quite straightforward. I have done it 3 times. Did half of it last time as part of a ride from Geneva to Nice. Mail me if you want any help. Presume you have the IGN map 1:25K.

Bovine is poor in parts but do you want to ride miles on the road or to be in the mountains?

C

mendippete
    Free Member

If you want a guide check out these guys http://www.ridethealps.com/holidays/tour-du-mont-blanc/

oregon29
    Free Member

I work as a guide in the US and have done lots of mountaineering in the past in including in Cham so probably not going with a guide. Don’t have the map just yet and in fact was planning on buying one in Cham for good local karma and to get the latest conditions from a local, unless you really think we need to do that much pre planning? Most places i’ve read have said that you can just book your next nights accommodation the previous afternoon so I was planning on taking it one day at a time in case we run into weather or heavy legs. Also if anyone knows any cheap bike friendly accommodation in Cham that’s be great. Thanks for the help.

higgo
    Free Member

I don’t think you need a guide and won’t be using one. I believe the TMB is well marked as are other trails to refuges, cols etc.

To me the value in prep is knowing which bits of the TMB to use and which to avoid. So, for example, I’ll be bypassing all the ladder sections. Also, I’ve got some alternatives planned – lower level routes for foul weather.

I have no issue with a bit of ladder-work but don’t fancy lugging my bike up this…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tour du Mont Blanc’ is closed to new replies.