Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Tour Divide 2018
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Just theoretically at the moment but should I fancy a go at the tour divide two questions:

1) what are the logistics of it like? Time, Trave expense, Kit etc
    I have a bike but would need bikepacking type stuff.

2) Am I fit enough?

I’m not as fit as I have been (getting on a bit) but have ridden all the UK and European on and off road stuff from Kielder 100 to the Marmotte not a world beater but usually get there. I’m about 5kg overweight and that probably isnt going to change.

Anyone with experience or just willing to take a punt at either question.

NewRetroTom

Did it last year.

1) You need to be able to be away for a month really.
    The bike you have will (probably) be fine, although you should allow a couple of hundred quid to ensure everything is in fine fettle before you go away.
    Do you have lightweight camping gear? If not you will need to spend a couple of hundred quid on sleeping bag/mat/bivvy bag. Bikepacking luggage will be another couple of hundred (frame bag, seat pack, front harness and some dry bags).
    Other costs are flights, accommodation and food. Maybe budget $50 per day on food and another $60 for the nights you’re planning to be in motels. (Some are cheaper and some are a lot more expensive).

2) Yes. As long as you can spend a bit of extra time getting in some long rides next spring including a few overnight “shake down” rides. Quite a few folks turn up to the Tour Divide having never done another bike packing race. That surprised me a bit as there are so many other races out there now. It was a bit different 10 years ago when the Tour Divide was one of the only bikepacking races in existence.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Tour Divide 2018’ is closed to new replies.