Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tour de Timor – bike advice please
  • lorax

I’ve been invited by a friend (who lives there) to join him on the Tour de Timor next September – http://www.tourdetimor.com – in East Timor, about as far from England as I can get.

It’s a tough looking race over 5 days in extreme heat, in a country where I am unlikely to be able to get hold of any spares. It appears mostly to be on roads or dirt tracks, with a few rougher bits, and some steep climbs, thrown in.

I thought I’d probably take an 853, or possibly Ti, hardtail, with decent forks – I’m after reliability and dependability rather than speed and lightness (I’m expecting to come last, or close to it – I would just want to finish the race!). Above all else I don’t want to travel half way round the world to find that my bike packs up on me on day two.

So any particular advice on bikes, components, etc? I’m reckoning on somehting like a Soul or Soda, Vanillas or Revelations, XT-level kit, tubless tyres, that kind of thing.

And I’ve also had some suggestions that a 29er would be wise. I’m 5’8″, and happy with 26″ wheels, but would anyone particularly endorse using a 29er?

many thanks

harry

paul78
    Free Member

I met a guy at Yak Attack this year that had rode and won his age category at the first edition of this race… apparently it was alot of non technical riding and alot of riding in fast groups pace lining.. he rode a 29er and I think I would do the same… alternatively any hardtail.

mail me and I will dig out his contact details if you want.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you have a bike already? Just take that, unless you have money to burn.

No half decent bike will pack up in 5 days. Nor will anything ti or 853 give you significantly better results.

Focus on tried components that work for you (esp contact points) and save weight on wheels/tyres (without sacrificing durability obviously)

lorax

thanks guys.

paul78 – thanks for that, I’ve emailed you

cynic-al – you are of course right. I actually have both a Ti (old Tinbred) and an 853 (old inbred) so don’t need to buy anything new, and I reckon I’ll take the inbred if I do it (the Soul or Soda bit was before I checked and found that they’re designed for longer forks – I’d rather stick with the 100mm corrected bikes I have). But I was also interested in views for my mate who doesn’t have a bike, and is unsure whether to get hardtail or full suspension, and has also been strongly advised to get a 29er which sounds a bit odd to me – I wouldn’t have thought it mattered

and I’m really not worried about results! This appears to be a proper race, with real prize money, whereas I’ll be lucky, and delighted, just to finish 🙂

cheers

Harry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tour de Timor – bike advice please’ is closed to new replies.