Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tour de France Stage 8 – Dole / Station des rousses – Attack, attack, attack
  • lunge

Finally, finally, we’re into the hill, let’s have a look at the day ahead.

After five stages dedicated to the sprinters, one to the time trialists and one to the climbers, to the taste of Marcel Kittel (three times), Peter Sagan and Arnaud Démare, Geraint Thomas and Fabio Aru in their respective capacities, stage 8 from Dole to Les Rousses is the first one for the attackers. Several of them have done their best to lose enough time in the first week of racing in order to get some freedom to attack this weekend, either today or tomorrow. Pierre Rolland (Cannondale-Drapac), Jarlinson Pantano (Trek-Segafredo), Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) are former Tour de France stage winners who have clearly opted for chasing a stage victory rather than riding for GC this year. Robert Gesink (LottoNL-Jumbo) looks like another candidate for a break from far out. That’s how Sylvain Chavanel became the stage winner on the last visit of the Tour to Les Rousses in the Jura. This is the second mountain massif used by the Tour de France this year after La Planche des belles filles in the Vosges but the GC contenders eye more at the grueling climbs of col de la Biche, Grand Colombier and Mont du Chat the day after.

Lumpy.

And the riders in the mix?

The Contenders: this is a great day for a breakaway. There are now many riders far down the overall classification who don’t threaten those in the top places and so they can have a pass for the day. But who to pick? It’s a lottery, a strong move can go only to get reeled in before another attack goes and so on. But there are some obvious choices, first we can deduct some names who might prefer to wait for tomorrow’s stage with its three hors catégorie climbs, for example Pierre Rolland, Bauke Mollema or Robert Gesink.

Stephen Cummings (Dimension Data) has proved adept at these kind of stages, both to sniff out the break and then to pick off the win, he climbs well and once solo is hard to catch while team mate Serge Pauwels is good for this kind of stage. Diego Ulissi (UAE Emirates) has a nose for a breakaway and fast finish after a hilly stage too and is in good form after second place at the Italian national championships. Gianluca Brambilla (Quick Step) hasn’t had many results of late but is good for a stage like this, maybe Philippe Gilbert could try too but the final climbs might be too much. Tim Wellens (Lotto-Soudal) is dynamite on a day like this and can play off team mate Tiesj Benoot. Fabio Felline (Trek-Segafredo) is versatile and can finish fast but is not a prolific winner. The race finishes by the Swiss border so perhaps Michael Albasini (Orica-Scott) can lurk and pop up for a sprint win? Astana’s Alexey Lutsenko is very powerful but will he be on team duties? Cannondale-Drapac will try to flood the breakaway, but who? Simon Clarke, Alberto Bettiol and Paddy Bevin are suited.

One rider to watch today is Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb) because after third place yesterday he needs more points to get closer to the green jersey and infiltrating the breakaway will pay. But if he does this expect Quick Step and FDJ to chase to prevent him winning the intermediate sprint.

The local rider is Alexis Vuillermoz of Ag2r La Mondiale but does he get pass for the day when he’s a valuable support for Romain Bardet tomorrow? Maybe Jan Bakelants instead. Finally Movistar’s Jesus Herrada, Jay McCarthy of Bora-Hansgrohe and Lilian Calmejane are dark horse picks, especially if the latter can channel his energy.

Can the GC riders declare war? Yes, if a move struggles to get clear because a team or two misses it then things could get nervous later on but the climbs are hard to exploit for the big names, attack on a 5-6% gradient and a train can pull you back and then you’ve only got sore legs for tomorrow’s Jurassic savagery.

And a look back to yesterday:

We’ve done corn fields, how about sun flowers today?

The break, doomed of course:

Tight:

Very tight:

Have a good day all, I’ll be back to pick this up later.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice one again. Thanks for doing this.

cloudnine
    Free Member

My money’s on Quintana today… To do nothing.
    Just to make it all the more interesting.. Aru and Martin to ride off the front to take the stage and yellow to aru

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah ha.
    A breakaway then, whose up for Wanty and a Fortuneo bunchette caught within 25ks then … hmmm, will Landa be let off passing oxygen to Froomy? Could it be De Ghent or Wellans ?? I’m hoping Gesink or Roglic, or Attapuma, or Navarro.

No change in the GC because it’s all done and dusted now, it’s just a obtuse Sky blanket.

Let’s return to the breakaway Poncheurs, the do or die punt off the front types.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is the GC really over? Maybe not enough sumit finishes but still a TT to play with and some serious mountains. Sky didn’t look awesome on the last summit with a few dropping off way too early especially if Martin, Aru and Porte are attacking up there. Toda will be quiet but I’d expect some efforts tomorrow.

wilburt
    Free Member

Cummins is 10/1
    Martin 12/1

scaredypants

I’m hoping for a break with Steve Cummings in it – so much fun to watch the (almost) inevitable happen

mrblobby
    Free Member

Will be a good one to watch from the start as there will be a right old scrap to get the break right.

Normally you’d could expect a few GC skirmishes up that last climb but for them all to cross the line together, saving legs for tomorrow. This Tour though with the lack of summit finishes, who knows, someone may want to give it a go.

lazybike
    Free Member

The organisers need to have a look at the women’s racing…shorter stages make for interesting racing..I don’t mind who wins today, I just hope we get some racing.

mrhoppy

Cummings has been showing the national jersey at the back of the pack all week waiting for a stage like this.

If it stays together then it’s hard to see past bling for the win.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it stays together the pace will be too high up the final climb for Mathews and Demare.

lunge

Greipel win the intermediate, Bling looking strong, this’ll be a very interesting stage.

greentricky
    Free Member

Brutal racing so far

Sandwich

Lazybike someone heard that. That last couple of km has been savage from Sky. Someone is turning themselves inside out for Froome.

crazy-legs

What’s happening?! Come on, this thread is the only way I’ve got of following this other than Twitter…

cloudnine
    Free Member

gesjink turning himself inside out to try and get to Calmejan.. 1min:35 over the peleton

cloudnine
    Free Member

Calmejane just has cramped up.. slowed down a bit..
    Gesink still desperately trying to bridge about 25 seconds..
    Calmejane still looks strong and will probably still do it.. maybe.

Not much going on in the peleton, sky predictably controlling it.
    Edit.. Dan Martin just going for it

leffeboy

Calmejane looks sooo smooth. A beautiful ride

km79
    Free Member

Nevermind all this roadie pish, there was a DH WC on today!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great, just great.

I almost got Gesink there but you have to admire the young French Calmejane, epic ride, great win and the Spotty jersey too.

crazy-legs

*just* caught the end of it, after the actual finish but enough to see the replay, hear them talking about it.

I did find it amusing that Demare “might not make the time limit cut off”, I just assumed that the Commissaires would extend the time limit a bit! 😉

It’s the French National Champion in green, we can’t eliminate him!

scaredypants

good stage, that – bit like a hillier spring classic out front

I’d never heard of calmejane – anyone got him in their team ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Calmejane big prospect. Won a stage of the Vuelta last year. Widely touted to win a stage of this years Tour. Which he’s now done.

I wonder if Demare had to resort to San Remo tactics to make the time cut?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France Stage 8 – Dole / Station des rousses – Attack, attack, attack’ is closed to new replies.