Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Tour de France Stage 1 – Düsseldorf – The start of the journey
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

G should get a couple of days in yellow with a 16 second lead over Kittel and only 10 second bonus for a stage win.

rexated
    Free Member

Feel sorry for Valdeverde, he’s been an absolute hero for the first half of the season. It astounds me that there aren’t additional crash barriers on the outside of corners when it’s a wet timetrial like that. What possible reason could there be for not bothering to zip tie some crashmats to the METAL barriers?

Why don’t the riders kick up a hell of a stink about it?

dovebiker

Hope that’s the end of Valverde – only the Spanish judiciary have kept him in the sport – he’s been making a mockery of the sport for years, particularly in comparison to the attention that Sky have got for a ‘dodgy package’.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Incredible day for SKY and Froome, could hardly have gone better.

atlaz
    Free Member

Porte followed Roche in the team car. Roche crashed and as a result Porte was overly conservative. That fragile mentality again?

wallop

Is it possible to watch highlights on replay anywhere? ITV player doesn’t seem to be showing it.

stevious

Wallop – ITV are never quick to get their stuff up on demand. There’s probably something highlighty on the steephill site though: http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/

In general I’m hoping that this doesn’t herald another super-dominant performance from Sky. Don’t mind if they win, I just want some racing to take place.

crazy-legs

Hope that’s the end of Valverde – only the Spanish judiciary have kept him in the sport – he’s been making a mockery of the sport for years, particularly in comparison to the attention that Sky have got for a ‘dodgy package’.

I see your point but no-one deserves to go out like that – poor guy won’t be walking for weeks or riding for months and whatever you think of his doping antics, he didn’t deserve that.

igm

ITV used to repeat the highlights (the following morning I think) and then put them on their iPlayer after that.

As for highlights, it pretty much looked like my commute on Wednesday except I had panniers and didn’t fall off. 😉

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Brilliant result for Thomas, Froome and Sky. Many people seem to think it’s all over bar the shouting but there’s a lot of climbing to come. Several of the people who put time into Froome in the Dauphine are not that far back. I still think he’s going to have his hands full unless of course his climbing has improved as much in three weeks as his time trialling.

I don’t think losing Valverde will be much of a problem for Quintana and it might well free him up a bit to actually take charge of the team. I’ve never seen Valverde “help” Quintana without appearing to help himself. Quintana always looks like he’s playing second fiddle to the more experienced Valverde (in the Tour at least).

stevestunts
    Free Member

Despite him being a ballbag, I’m sorry to see Valverde go out like that, although probably not as sorry as Quintana.

Shame for Izagirre, too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Broken knee cap for Valverde, sounds a bad one. Not a fan of his but wouldn’t wish such an injury on anyone.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Go FrooDog!

butcher

Think they said Valverde’s knee was broken and dislocated… Wouldn’t wish that on anyone, and sad to see him out on day one. Must be so disappointing, all the effort and excitement, only for that to happen, what, less than 10 Ks in?

Expected Thomas to do well today, but wouldn’t have predicted him winning. And didn’t realise that was his first grand tour win! Would have sworn he had 2 or 3!! So pleased for him.

It’s eventful, so far…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1 stage down 20 to go…
    Interview with Porte said he followed Roache in the car when he crashed hence going cautious. However 30s overall is still a small gap and I don’t think he will struggle with that. Sky getting yellow is interesting, wonder how quick they will try and ditch it. At least if Froome doesn’t fire GT will be in a good starting position 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

Chances are Sky will lose it over the next 3 days. Kittel, for example, is only 16 seconds off the lead so he can easily take time bonuses along the way.

TiRed

Almost every emergence of a new GC rider comes from within a team. Could it be Froome vs. G this year? Gaps are all still small.

atlaz
    Free Member

Unless Froome has a shocker one day, it’ll be Froome over G for the GC. I’d expect that given Froome just re-signed for another 3 years, there will be guarantees on leadership in tours. It’s not like G hasn’t had leadership of Team Sky in a grand tour and won’t be given another chance (as he didn’t do a Porte).

xc-steve
    Free Member

The one time my mate doesn’t put my tip into play and I was actually right! Go G!

It works quite well for Sky, G in yellow and was it 4 riders in top 10 they get priority with their cars, and in theory get to control the race with authority for a couple days. Then when it comes to the mountains and G gets put under attack Froome can jump with the attackers but not have to do any work etc.

Gutted for Valverde mostly because he was in my fantasy team, still he’ll be healed up by the Velta amazing how quick people heal up… I mean just look at G… and Cummings healing up so well…

butcher

Unless Froome has a shocker one day, it’ll be Froome over G for the GC.

I suspect that will be the case, and I’m sure there’ll be no question of it at this moment in time…

However, whilst he’s so far been unable to complete a grand tour without crashing or dramatically exploding in the final days…if he does get through it, I think this one could be well suited to him.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I do wonder if Valverde was a victim of his own ambition yesterday. If he was there to support Nairo he could have taken it a bit easier and reduced the risk. Or maybe he was just unlucky.

crazy-legs

However, whilst he’s so far been unable to complete a grand tour without crashing or dramatically exploding in the final days…

Yep, no matter what Grand Tour he’s been in he’s pretty much always had one bad day – more unlucky than anything, he does seem to be a bit of a crash magnet.
    I don’t doubt for a second that the plan is Chris Froome. Historically though, Sky have been very poor with any sort of Plan B and when it goes to pot (Brad, broken collarbone; Chris Froome and the crash on the cobbles…) they’re left a bit high and dry. Hopefully this at least gives them options.

mildbore

When I saw Valverde going into that corner I could see he was going way too fast, why did he feel the need to take such risks? Paid a high price. Like many I’m not a fan because of his past but can’t wish that on anyone

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France Stage 1 – Düsseldorf – The start of the journey’ is closed to new replies.