Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tough tubeless tyre recommendations?
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Looking for a recommendation for a tubeless (UST) tyre to use on my “when the lifts are closed” hardtail.

Tried LUST High-Rollers last time with mixed success (good tyres, but a bit fragile). Don’t want to go down the full Maxxis dual-ply UST route that I use on my regular bike (1.2kg per tyre!).

Can anyone recommend a decent midweight tubeless tyre? 2.3″ or thereabouts.

Northwind

SX carcass Specializeds maybe? They’re not officially tubeless but they go up easily and stay on right, doesnt’ seem to make any difference. 900g or so for a Clutch, still pretty draggy but less than a 2.5 minion (and the same size).

Still not a whole lot of fun to pedal upwards tho. I might have mentioned that a couple of times.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

ive just fitted a 2.4 high roller II’s with the exo side walls on the front and a 2.25 ardent with exo side walls on the rear…

neither are tubeless, but ive UST rims, so a bit of stans and the homemade getto compresser and both went up easily enough

br
    Free Member

Bonty X4 Team Issue works well on the front (live in Scotland so plenty of rocks etc).

stevomcd
    Free Member

neither are tubeless, but ive UST rims, so a bit of stans and the homemade getto compresser and with a total faff and a lot of bodging, both went up easily enough

FTFY 😉

Seriously, I’d rather go back to tubes than use a non-UST tyre tubeless.

nosedive
    Free Member

I’m having the same problem. for years i used non UST highrollers or minions, they go on, and up OK. But recently I’ve found I am starting to damage them quickly or they get unreliable and burp if I land badly.

So I’ve fitted 2.5 UST minions to the big bike which I thought was a magic solution until I tried to pedal uphill.

What about continental? are they any good?

DezB
    Free Member

Hutchinson Toro 2.3 Enduro.

If you don’t like em I’ll buy them off you.

warpcow
    Free Member

Snakeskin Schwalbes are holding up well for me. Currently on Wicked Wills, will probably go to Hans Dampf when they die. Made by a company who know how to use a ruler, about 850g but roll well in the trailstar rubber.

nosedive
    Free Member

hans dampf look ideal volume \ weight wise. never looked at those. thanks

nosedive
    Free Member

how much!!!! £90 a pair ? I’ve put 4 tyres on a Nissan Micra for less than that

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You can pick up a pair of “tubeless ready” hans dampfs from bike-discount for just under £60 delivered. I’ve just picked up a set to put on my new UST rims, I guess a co2 compressor and some stan’s and they should go up ok?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html

nosedive
    Free Member

that’s more like it ! cheers.

my little £50 screwfix compressor seems to sort out most inflation problems, worth every penny

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, this is the first time I have tried to fit tubeless tyres – I guess i inflate them until they “pop” onto the rims, then deflate to a suitable pressure? Is Stan’s absolutely necessary or more of a “nice to have”?

Keith

nosedive
    Free Member

no worries
    yes, inflate until they sit nicely on the rim, usually you do get a pop
    if they aren’t seating for some reason just be a little careful, I have heard horror stories of stans rims failing at high pressures. If you need to go much past 65 PSI it is probably worth taking them off and trying again rather than going higher.

solution is a nice to have for proper UST, needed for tubeless ready and normaly tyres. In practice though it is handy to have punctures seal so I always put some in whatever the tyre.

If you put a fair bit in (~ 80 ml) then most punctures will seal. I just lay the bike flat so that the hole is at the bottom so the sealant is covering it and empty a CO2 canister in. Unless it is a real gash it seems to sort things out for most pucntures.

good luck! there are various videos around if you cant get them onto the rims

DezB
    Free Member

You can pick up a pair of “tubeless ready” hans dampfs

Tubeless ready isn’t UST though is it! That’s why they are cheaper. You want tough, go for UST.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Is it not? Oh. Too much choice! Anyway they are on the rims now, used a co2 cartridge to pop them on, no fuss. I’ll deflate them and pour some fluid in when it arrives (I’m guessing put the valve at the top of the wheel when inflating to avoid enormous spillage)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Tubeless ready Hans Dampf’s have snakeskin sidewalls AFAIR, which is kind of ‘UST-lite’ if there was such a thing. This may or may not be tough enough for you.

soobalias
    Free Member

i would second the opinion above that if you want tough, go UST.

Ive got Bonty XR4s which are tubeless ready, had no issues with them but they are flimsy to handle and as such i wouldnt recommend them under a “Tough” banner

nosedive
    Free Member

same as specilized 2Bliss, they may be tubeless ready but they are pretty flimsy and easy to tear. Light though. not that that helps when you are at the side of a trail with a flat tyre covered in sealant

Northwind

nosedive – Member

same as specilized 2Bliss, they may be tubeless ready but they are pretty flimsy and easy to tear.

Bit of a false assumption there, 2bliss is just their name for TLR but it’s not the same across the ranges- my Fast Trak 2blisses are very thin, my Clutch control 2bliss is properly tough (not dualply tough, mind) It’s only one part of the construction really.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, Specialized should really add a ‘ready’ to the 2Bliss bit.

You can run them without sealant (as I found out when I forgot to put it in!) but they do go down over a few days.

The standard ones are properly flimsy though. But then a big volume tyre that weighs very little has to be thin.

I have some Minion Exo’s (non tubeless/TLR/UST/whatever) for those times when it all looks a bit much for my floppy specialized’s, which to be fair go on a Stan’s rim just as easily as all the various tubeless tyres I have tried 🙂

A Minion Exo 2.5 is a ‘fairly’ reasonable ~800g for a tyre thats got a good amount of tread, a half decent sidewall & good grip in most things apart from a sh*tfest.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tough tubeless tyre recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.