• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ski.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Touching up paintwork before selling car: whaddya reckon?
  • wooobob

I’ll shortly be flogging a car (2009 Golf). It’s still nice and shiny, but there are one or two stone chips on the bonnet and a little mark from a car door at the back, as well as some doggy paw scratches on the rear sill. I’m planning on getting it valeted and polished up before selling it.

In the opinion of those STW-dwellers who know about these things, and, of course, those of you who don’t :-), is it worth spending anything getting these touched up? Will they be likely to make much difference to the price?

meehaja
    Free Member

don’t do it. It often looks rubbish! Point out the marks to prospective buyer, makes you look more honest, maybe buy a touch up pen and offer it to them…

globalti
    Free Member

Just make sure it doesn’t smell of ciggies or dogs.

Wozza
    Free Member

It’ll end up…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IL22sLF25s[/video]

amplebrew

The fix-a-chip / smart repair companies are really good at fixing small paint issues, but I suppose it depends on how big / visible the damage is and what the value of the car is.

If the car is worth a fair amount of ££££’s, it might be worth getting it done.

I definately wouldn’t let myself loose with a touchup pen, they’re pretty useless at dealing with chips etc and most of the time make them more visible.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Thanks Wozza…. one of my favourite clips 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Use one of the coloured polishes to sort of cover them up.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have always touched up any chips before selling the car, the trick is to build up the paint levels rather than just putting a massive blob on. Under close inspection they might be obvious, but unless someone is looking closely they wont show up. I guess it also depends on the colour.

petrieboy

I like to see a few stone chips on a used car. A car that’s managed a couple of years without picking any up has either spent every mile in city centre traffic rather than motorways, or it’s had a shunt and respray.
    As mentioned above, pointing out a few minor flaws will reassure any potential buyer.

rocketman
    Free Member

Would never do it. Stone chips are to be expected and a chip-free car has got something to hide.

Taff
    Free Member

Don’t know if you can see it – CLICKY

ski
    Free Member

Stone chips are to be expected and a chip-free car has got something to hide.

There is some truth in this, they will sniff about for ages trying to find something.

The Valet is a good idea mind.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Touching up paintwork before selling car: whaddya reckon?’ is closed to new replies.