Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Torque Wrench = expensive! Do I need one to fit rear shock?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

As above, want to get rear shock fitted today but don’t have a torque wrench and internet searching suggests I need one. Thoughts?

stumpy01

I’ve never bothered and have never had a problem. Just don’t over-tighten it and check it’s still right a mile or so down the off-road.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers, so i know this is all relative to strength of individual but as a guide. Finger tight or firm?

stumpy01

Erm, this is where gets tricky. Finger tight isn’t sufficient, imo, but don’t hang off it like your life depends on it. The size of the allen key/bolt should give you an idea of how ‘firm’ you can be.

johnj2000
    Free Member

So get it wrong and I will die 🙂

It’s a 4mm allen bolt so i won’t be hanging off it. Thanks for the quick response I am going to fit it now.

Jamie
    Free Member

Take it to a LBS, garage, and give them a fiver just to torque it up?

mjsmke

Never bothered with one. Just check it during a few rides. If it gets loose it needs to be tightened more the the initial time.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Looks like i have a bigger problem. Wishing I had never bothered trying to get the minute bit of play that the bike shop pointed out fixed. Got the shock back on and it all seems way too tight and the shock isn’t extending properly when i sit on the bike too set it up. Looks to me like the LBS hasn’t fitted the bushes correctly. This could be my bank holiday rides screwed. Not happy.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Take the shock off a d check the allignment of the bushes, you can easily tap them through in either direction yourself.

johnj2000
    Free Member

If only it had been that easy glasgowdan. It was a right mess, story here Linky

booktownman
    Free Member

You can get bushing tools for under a tenner on eBay. When you replace the DU bushes, fit the new style nylon ones – no tool needed and they last longer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Torque Wrench = expensive! Do I need one to fit rear shock?’ is closed to new replies.