Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Torque wrench
  • kendo954
    Free Member

Looking to get a small torque wrench for working on the bikes..

Iv a large wrench which doesn’t go down low enough for most of the bolts on the bikes.

Any kits you recommend for the t/wrench with the required bits for Allen and torque bolts?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superstar one comes with all the bits you’ll need. It’s a pretty standard tool, sold under a few different brands.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Draper with 3/8 socket fitting and a load of Hex sockets to fit. The only thing mine doesn’t do well is go below 6Nm… not too much of a worry but my septets is 6Nm and it’s sometimes a bit tricky.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

I got a Superstar one via a PSA on here a few months back, well impressed for the money.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Got the superstar components one on the psa, great tool for the bike, will do everything you need.

deadkenny
    Free Member

On the lower torque wrenches in particular just be wary about the accuracy of the wrench and take good care of it. Always back it off after use when storing especially, and still it’s best to have a rough idea of when it should click and if you think it should have gone by now, then stop! (else be prepared to be drilling snapped bolts out).

Technically you should be calibrating the wrench often, but that means paying someone to do it really.

Also watch out if you apply thread lock or any grease on threads as this changes the torque. Don’t use it to undo anything, and in my experience using it on reverse threads is no go despite it having a reverse setting. Just never clicks.

My small wrench goes down to 5Nm but states it’s less accurate at the ends of the scale, and after a bolt snap incident (to correct spec, didn’t click when I expected), anything around 5 to 10Nm is really just hand tight so I’m more confident to just hand tighten to what I feel is right. My big wrench is often used for the heavy stuff up at 40Nm as by hand I’m frequently way under the mark by hand. Still I do it in bits, torque to something lower, then set bit higher and so on. If I feel I’m putting in way too much and it’s not clicked yet then time to stop.

timba
    Free Member

I paid £10 calibration and £10 (+VAT) adjustment earlier this year

Top tip from the engineer was to set your torque and then “tighten” a spare bolt held in the vice to the setting three times before torquing the actual fastener
    He demonstrated it on his calibration device; it stabilised the torque consistently and accurately, something to do with settling the spring/internals

My Norbar was within tolerance, the cheaper one needed adjustment

househusband

Ritchey, Bontrager and no doubt several others make torque ‘key’ preset at 5nm. I’ve had one for years since getting a few carbon components, particularly on my road bike:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/tools-c10/workshop-tools-c129/bontrager-5nm-preset-torque-wrench-4mm-hex-key-p9375

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Torque wrench’ is closed to new replies.