• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Torque Setting – carbon seat post
  • jiff
    Free Member

Anyone help please ?
    I’ve a Kinesis Gran Fondo Ti (later model) and the carbon seat post has recently slipped down on me a few times.
    I can’t find the recommended torque settings for the seat post/ clamp anywhere. Are there any general recommendations please ?
    I’ve used carbon grease between the frame and post but am still wary of over tightening and damaging the seat post.
    I appreciate Ti is a much stronger metal – does this mean I therefore need to clamp it up more tightly to allow for any consequential resistance within the metal ?
    Thx folks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you mean carbon/friction paste?

lunge

6nm is what I’ve got on the 3 bikes I have with carbon posts.
    Edit, and I use carbon paste to make sure it stays on place.

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks Lunge. Is that used in a metal frame ?
    MSW – yes, meant paste…..

iainc

generally about 5Nm for carbon posts, along with a liberal amount of carbon paste as above. Frame material won’t make a difference, it’s the clamp that holds the post, so unless it’s made of Ti… ?

lunge

Is that used in a metal frame ?

Combination of, though no ti admittedly.
    1x carbon frame/carbon post.
    2x alu frame/carbon post.

The torque setting has always been written on the clamp rather than the post or frame.

DanW
    Free Member

I’d be reluctant to go over 5Nm Max but it depends on so many variables.

Another thing you can try is to grease the interface between the seatclamp and outside of the seattube to try and evenly distribute the clamping force.

If this and a load of carbon assembly paste don’t work then KCNC make a nice 4g gripper like this here

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Torque Setting – carbon seat post’ is closed to new replies.